SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #41,191 of 45,723
its all good. I am guessing Sony adjusted how the database rebuild is executed in later builds

The only really troublesome one was 3.00. So Sony came out with 3.01 soon after. Depending on your card it could take forever then and even crash. But now 3.02 and 3.01 will take a while the first time then quick the second time and from there on.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #41,192 of 45,723
wm1z.JPG

@MrWalkman
My WM1A displayed as WM1Z in the Model Switcher.
Don't think it's a real issue, just FYI.

Thanks a lot for your fantastic work! Great chance to listen to all my music at least three more times with a different sound (A+, Z+, A to Z) without buying any new hardware!

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #41,193 of 45,723
Seems like burn in might be the only way to go. But I feel like the sub bass is picking up a bit more in the modded 1A. But then again, if it sounds just as good if not just slightly more detailed than the 1Z, is the 1A modded enough? Just sell of the little gold guy? It does make me think why have the 1Z, but it’s nice to know I was able to buy both without using credit cards. This will be my 1,000th post according to my history. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #41,194 of 45,723
After switching the model, install this firmware again.
wm1z.JPG

@MrWalkman
My WM1A displayed as WM1Z in the Model Switcher.
Don't think it's a real issue, just FYI.

Thanks a lot for your fantastic work! Great chance to listen to all my music at least three more times with a different sound (A+, Z+, A to Z) without buying any new hardware!

That is normal if you switched the model to WM1Z.

Please read all the indications in the original post regarding changing the model and others: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-15747959

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #41,198 of 45,723
I installed WM1A/Z+

Reverted to stock 3.02 rebooted and re-rebooted and then applied the wm1a/z+

Actually you can load the current firmware on top of any tuning.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #41,199 of 45,723
I agree it has blackness wich important and it put elements where they go specially stock WM1Z the + is the most engaging I havent tried the A tunings on my 1A since I loved the stockZ tuning so much

So you do like the 1A/Z+ changes after all.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #41,200 of 45,723
Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could change the models from within the DAP itself? Change from 1A to 1Z on the fly without a PC? Wouldn’t that be super awesome?

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #41,201 of 45,723
So you do like the 1A/Z+ changes after all.
yes but i like reference sound first then i go to more expanded then decide since if your ears acoustom to expanded sound then narrow sounds bad lol and also couse i feel a little more punch on reference 1Z but from all Custom FW before this one is the best Ive hearded out of SE so very good indeed! i would only change the booscrees to the ones that camed with 2.0 since i loved how my walkman turned on in just black and walkman logo it was surreal!

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #41,202 of 45,723
yes but i like reference sound first then i go to more expanded then decide since if your ears acoustom to expanded sound then narrow sounds bad lol and also couse i feel a little more punch on reference 1Z but from all Custom FW before this one is the best Ive hearded out of SE so very good indeed! i would only change the booscrees to the ones that camed with 2.0 since i loved how my walkman turned on in just black and walkman logo it was surreal!

Hmm, didn't know about the different logo on 2.0.

However, gonna leave it like this for a while.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #41,203 of 45,723

Really a big part of learning to understand that bigger soundstage is just mental burn in. We have to train our minds into understanding the illusion. As some soundstage responses are big but maybe not correct. This one has surprises around corners. There is the greatest placement of electric guitars in the mix. They sit in a special pocket, then at times there are big bass drops. At first we are skeptic as it’s a new audio environment which seems unreal. After time we learn to take notes as to what to expect and the real soundstage starts to become a familiar place. I say all this but I’m only used to the 1A, the 1Z soundstage is maybe slightly bigger? I’m not used to the 1Z, so it’s this adaptation phase, which could go either way really.

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #41,204 of 45,723
All this model switcher stuff reminds me of the big IBM line printers in the 70’s. They had a 1200 lines per minute and a 2400 lines per minute version. When a company wanted to upgrade an IBM lorry with 2 men came and carried the old printer out and carried the new printer in, but actually the only difference was a switch derp inside the printe that decided wich model it was.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #41,205 of 45,723
All this model switcher stuff reminds me of the big IBM line printers in the 70’s. They had a 1200 lines per minute and a 2400 lines per minute version. When a company wanted to upgrade an IBM lorry with 2 men came and carried the old printer out and carried the new printer in, but actually the only difference was a seitch derp inside the printe that decided wich model it was.
have you heard 1A? they say its really good in comparison! we are all exited!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back