SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #40,816 of 45,723
I bagged what I think is a bargain today, a 1tb Sandisk Extreme Pro mSD for the 1A, for just under $200 - guaranteed authentic, 2yr warranty etc etc...

now the unenviable task of transferring from my 400gb card to this one...

Do Sd cards make a difference? Isn't regular sd card with 100mb/s read sufficient enough for this DAP?

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #40,817 of 45,723
I bagged what I think is a bargain today, a 1tb Sandisk Extreme Pro mSD for the 1A, for just under $200 - guaranteed authentic, 2yr warranty etc etc...

now the unenviable task of transferring from my 400gb card to this one...

Beautiful deal! But yep, the transfer sucks! Just get it started and go on about your day 😂 It’ll finish eventually 😩😢

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #40,818 of 45,723
i used to think that 3.02 is kinda lean with my Zeus XR but i got a new cable 4 months ago, that injected the lows with much needed punch so now i feel like it's a great FW

again , synergy is king in this hobby.
Man, not only do i love your music, but your setup is exactly like mine. What cable are you using?

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #40,819 of 45,723
Do Sd cards make a difference? Isn't regular sd card with 100mb/s read sufficient enough for this DAP?
I could’ve saved $50 by just getting the Extreme, they had one of each, but I thought of future usage (swapping to phone maybe), and made my decision that way...

you’re right though, considering my 400gb card was just an extreme, the extra speed is superfluous.

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #40,821 of 45,723
Man, not only do i love your music, but your setup is exactly like mine. What cable are you using?

thank you for the kind words , the cable is the PW Audio 1960s 2-wire , i took a leap of faith after 2 other Zeus XR users highly praised it , and it was worth the dough i spent

btw ,let me send over a small music gift via pm....

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #40,822 of 45,723
I view most changes as equivalent to cable change, with the exception of the caps.

The upgrade of the stock output caps to some "oscon" caps, is the main difference for me.
But this difference is still not enough to explain the sound difference.

The (1z) Pana oscon caps are really not that much better than the (1a) stock caps, and would still have limited crappy abilities compared to normal caps that the hardware mods do.
So I am of the view that I believe the 1a firmware mods.

That's why I view hardware mods as a different type upgrade, and actually a higher refinement of the player to end game status..
:wink:

Agree bulk of the difference in the 1A & 1Z sound signature's is likely software related.

Q-6

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #40,823 of 45,723
Where are you guys getting extreme Pro 1Tb for $200 ? I can’t find any authentic sources for that price. Keep us updated
Mine was from here - potential for fraud I guess, but they put the serial number on the receipt, so - if it is a fake one, they’ll swap it out with their 2yr warranty.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #40,824 of 45,723
Has anybody had issues with installing FW mods with the J Region. I followed the instructions using the region tool, ensuring the driver in the code matched the Walkman’s. Then I used the coding to confirm that it was a success. It gave me the correct code. I reset the settings and then have tried to install numerous FW Mods with the J region. I always get the message telling me to plug my device in. However, when I do the same mods in U, they work seamlessly. Has anybody else come across this problem

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #40,825 of 45,723
Has anybody had issues with installing FW mods with the J Region. I followed the instructions using the region tool, ensuring the driver in the code matched the Walkman’s. Then I used the coding to confirm that it was a success. It gave me the correct code. I reset the settings and then have tried to install numerous FW Mods with the J region. I always get the message telling me to plug my device in. However, when I do the same mods in U, they work seamlessly. Has anybody else come across this problem
You should install the firmwares in relation to your original region regardless of the changed region.
For example if your original player was an E or U region, you should install the Universal Firmware Mod and not the Japanese Firmware regardless if you changed it to J.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #40,826 of 45,723
You should install the firmwares in relation to your original region regardless of the changed region.
For example if your original player was an E or U region, you should install the Universal Firmware Mod and not the Japanese Firmware regardless if you changed it to J.

Thanks! I appreciate that. This has been going nowhere fast, for two days now.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #40,827 of 45,723
Jul 14, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #40,828 of 45,723
I don't think the custom WM Port to USB B cable will work with the TA because TA USB input requires power. I don't think WM Port can provide any power which is why the dock comes with an external power supply.
The USB B input at the back of TA does not require power.

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #40,829 of 45,723
I don't think the custom WM Port to USB B cable will work with the TA because TA USB input requires power. I don't think WM Port can provide any power which is why the dock comes with an external power supply.
No we unplug the Cradle at times to quit over-charging the Walkmans and it still works fine.

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #40,830 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back