SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #40,846 of 45,723
Haha so is it official yet?

Just for info me to I have a wm1a on hands right now and can give some feedback!

Jul 14, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #40,849 of 45,723
The plan is to share the UPG when it will be available, which would be installable via the normal update tool. I hope it will be rather sooner than later. :)

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #40,851 of 45,723
Now the $64,000 question...

If Sony does release another firmware update for our beloved Walkman will it be locked down and prevent downgrading?

Probably not, if we don't spread this too much for a while. Firmware updates usually come in August/September/October from what I've seen. And at this stage, it's actually possible to get past stuff like not able to downgrade. However, it would be nice to not get Sony to do this :D

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #40,852 of 45,723
Now the $64,000 question...

If Sony does release another firmware update for our beloved Walkman will it be locked down and prevent downgrading?

Sony could lockdown the firmware via an update in a heartbeat. The simple answer is not to update the DAP straight out the gate until more is known about the next release and if using Sony Music Centre etc. block it's executable's files via W10 firewall or it will auto update the DAP.

Q-6

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #40,853 of 45,723
Sony is encrypting the Walkman OS or firmware on WM series and DMP very highLy secured, all for the sake of other proprietary algorithms such as DSD remastering, Vinyl processor, and DSEEHX-AI.

theoretically speaking, DSD remastering and DSEE-HX can be tweaked to turn up it aggressiveness in trade for more power consumptions, but whether you can grab hold of, dissecting it, and editing it...would be another problem....

However, once it is done, Sony would quickly patch it up for sure , and as the reason stated above

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #40,854 of 45,723
I probably only get about 18 hours with Direct mode ON. I’ve figured that charging overnight thinking that it will take 7 hours to charge (as per Sony’s info) when it only takes about 3 hours has damaged my battery.
Nowadays DAPs, similar to iPhone, they will stop the charging once it is full, so it shall not hurt.

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #40,855 of 45,723
Loving the Sony NW-WM1A with lqi cable and Shure SRH1540 headphones!

0714202047b_HDR.jpg

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #40,856 of 45,723
Loving the Sony NW-WM1A with lqi cable and Shure SRH1540 headphones!

Seeing Shure SRH1540 is analytical, I think it would do even better with 1Z 😃

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #40,857 of 45,723
Well, it’s truly a question of what motivates Sony to include the basic firmware that’s with the 1A upon purchase. Surely they heard and tested the 1A in a parallel form (with 1Z software) as we have now. In convoluted sets of personal questions I try and ascertain the direction here by myself listening. Still?

As being used to the 1A personality and being used to the 1Z (actual 1Z player) improvements..................many may be wondering if this new firmware allows the 1A to emulate the 1Z sound. And........if it in fact does not emulate it (all-the-way) how close in places does it?

And that’s in a way the confusing part trying to figure out if this (the 1Z software) is an attempt to fine tune an aspect of the 1Z sound. Meaning with 1A there are all those improvements that we agree upon (from the new 1Z model switcher program) but in this situation it may actually answer questions by switching the 1Z over to a 1A with the switcher?

A direct answer to how close the 1A is:

The 1Z still has all those qualities which has always separated the two players. The 1Z in comparison to the 1Z firmware added 1A still has more physicality and density of sound. The 1Z still gets the soundstage more forward and back? But here is the confusing part; the 1A soundstage is drastically different now with the 1Z software. So it makes you guess that soundstage with the 1Z is both a function of hardware and software. (Which of course it is :))

The bass is still more heavy in the 1Z. The treble is still added with a boost in the 1Z.

But.......the thing is the 1A has it’s own magic. It would be like listening to speakers in a very live room (the 1Z). Then the room had a boatload of sound treatments (the 1A naturally). The 1A has a more reduced treble which can be a win-win over the 1Z. I mean if your IEMs also have a dynamic treble boost the swarm of bees created can enjoy a break from time to time. And the 1A treble is that vacation place as it’s really nice. Also the low end has a speed that when combined with the right aftermarket firmware (on-top of J region and the 1Z model switcher) can become it’s own magic thing.

The 1A is it’s own special thing, and the great part is the model switcher adds smoothly to increase that magic. It’s hard to put your finger on what that magic is? It’s when everything works out, but still there is a characteristic delineated personality that makes the sound special. IMO

A classic sound?

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #40,858 of 45,723
Well, it’s truly a question of what motivates Sony to include the basic firmware that’s with the 1A upon purchase. Surely they heard and tested the 1A in a parallel form (with 1Z software) as we have now. In convoluted sets of personal questions I try and ascertain the direction here by myself listening. Still?

As being used to the 1A personality and being used to the 1Z (actual 1Z player) improvements..................many may be wondering if this new firmware allows the 1A to emulate the 1Z sound. And........if it in fact does not emulate it (all-the-way) how close in places does it?

And that’s in a way the confusing part trying to figure out if this (the 1Z software) is an attempt to fine tune an aspect of the 1Z sound. Meaning with 1A there are all those improvements that we agree upon (from the new 1Z model switcher program) but in this situation it may actually answer questions by switching the 1Z over to a 1A with the switcher?

A direct answer to how close the 1A is:

The 1Z still has all those qualities which has always separated the two players. The 1Z in comparison to the 1Z firmware added 1A still has more physicality and density of sound. The 1Z still gets the soundstage more forward and back? But here is the confusing part; the 1A soundstage is drastically different now with the 1Z software. So it makes you guess that soundstage with the 1Z is both a function of hardware and software. (Which of course it is :))

The bass is still more heavy in the 1Z. The treble is still added with a boost in the 1Z.

But.......the thing is the 1A has it’s own magic. It would be like listening to speakers in a very live room (the 1Z). Then the room had a boatload of sound treatments (the 1A naturally). The 1A has a more reduced treble which can be a win-win over the 1Z. I mean if your IEMs also have a dynamic treble boost the swarm of bees created can enjoy a break from time to time. And the 1A treble is that vacation place as it’s really nice. Also the low end has a speed that when combined with the right aftermarket firmware (on-top of J region and the 1Z model switcher) can become it’s own magic thing.

The 1A is it’s own special thing, and the great part is the model switcher adds smoothly to increase that magic. It’s hard to put your finger on what that magic is? It’s when everything works out, but still there is a characteristic delineated personality that makes the sound special. IMO

A classic sound?

Amen !

You said everything right. It is exactly how I feel it!
1a is no downgrade in sq to 1z at all. Today its my first long listen with 1a and wow. So natural lifelike sound, better frequency balance no treble spike and more controlled bass.

I am at a point right now do I prefer 1a or 1z!
Yes 1z is the all mighty but, its very colored, thick and warm , substantially bassier and in treble too.

1a is neutral natural balanced I really like 1a with my Tia Noir very nice pairing 0 fatigue

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #40,859 of 45,723
Amen !

1a is no downgrade in sq to 1z at all. Today its my first long listen with 1a and wow. So natural lifelike sound, better frequency balance no treble spike and more controlled bass.

Yes 1z is the all mighty but, its very colored, thick and warm , substantially bassier and in treble too.

1a is neutral natural balanced I really like 1a with my Tia Noir very nice pairing 0 fatigue

The thing the 1A has going for it is midrange. Meaning that midrange on the 1A has a duality. With the wrong IEMs or firmwares it can be scathing, but in the correct context it’s absolutely beautiful! IMO

There is no 1Z treble or bass to get in the way of it. The switcher to 1Z model adds the final organic smoothness and tames a set of upper frequencies. Almost like maybe the two players were tuned by Sony to be contrast to one another. But us on the user end want the two players to actually be closer in style. As there is still room with-in that close proximity where both players can shine as the musical stars they each are. IMO

Presently using 1Z stock 3.02 J region. The 1A has 1Z model switcher with a post 3.02 firmware flash, in J region with U (1Z) Jupiter2 placed on top.

The player thinks it’s a 1Z, thus 1Z U Jupiter2. Lol

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #40,860 of 45,723
Amen !

Am I sensing that the Tiger is about to unleash the 1Z Romi at the buy & sell forum? :relaxed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back