SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #40,741 of 45,723
I'm actually astounded - this "new" version of switching the 1A to 1Z definitely does something different in my mind (following on from posts by @aceedburn ) - It is at a whole different level, and - I don't need to install alternate fw mods (I just tried, and found that this version of stock sounds better to my ears)...

This has screwed with my mind,,,

Yep, while everything sounds good, I keep getting impressed about how organic and analog it sounds. It really gives soul to the music.

Listening to vinyl rips is awesome.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #40,744 of 45,723
Jul 12, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #40,745 of 45,723
looks like walls come tumbling down , again and again in this thread

to celebrate this , if you like this album and you like the analog sound of vinyl , please do hit me up via pm....

Mother , do you think they'll dig this sound ? (oh yes they will , dear)

1594586383564.png

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #40,746 of 45,723
For those that go by last name, first name, could You answer the following?

1. Did you keep artist and album artist as first name, last name and only use the album artist sort tag as last name, fist name?

2. Did you also tag artist and album artist as last name, first name?

3. If yes on number 2, did you make your file folders and files with last name, first name? Did you use commas in the folder and file names?

4. I know Windows 10 can do commas in file and folder names, but what about the software on WM1A and WM1Z? How about other DAPs?

5. Does the WM1A and WM1Z do genres with artist to album to songs? I hate how chinese DAPs do it with just a huge list of songs, which is useless for big music collections.

Still scanning album covers. I am 37.3% complete. Will do tags and file structure after I am done with album work.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #40,747 of 45,723

1. Did you keep artist and album artist as first name, last name and only use the album artist sort tag as last name, fist name?

3. If yes on number 2, did you make your file folders and files with last name, first name? Did you use commas in the folder and file names?

4. I know Windows 10 can do commas in file and folder names, but what about the software on WM1A and WM1Z? How about other DAPs?

5. Does the WM1A and WM1Z do genres with artist to album to songs? I hate how chinese DAPs do it with just a huge list of songs, which is useless for big music collections.

Still scanning album covers. About 35% complete. Will do tags and file structure after I am done with album work.

Thanks in advance.
1. Yes
2. No
3. NA
4. Yes, Yes
5. Yes

I've also tag the sort album with the release order so that when viewing an artist the albums are shown in release order. For example 101 - Led Zeppelin , 102 - Led Zeppelin II, etc. I also 2xx for live albums, 3xx for compilations and 4xxx for soundtracks. I used to use year, but some older classic rock artists used to release more than 1 album a year and I had to play tricks to get them to sort correctly. So I moved to this method. This method also allows for up to 99 albums per category.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #40,749 of 45,723
DSEE AI is actually already present in the firmware, it's just not enabled as an option in the app.

1594148621276.png

The DseeHxCustom_Mode files are the ones for the 5 modes currently available on the players.
So it may as well become available in the next firmware update. :beerchug:
I'm curious as to how you got the BIN and CSV files from firmware?

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #40,750 of 45,723
I'm curious as to how you got the BIN and CSV files from firmware?

Unfortunately I won't get into details about that. But I can assure you they are real.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #40,751 of 45,723
I'm actually astounded - this "new" version of switching the 1A to 1Z definitely does something different in my mind (following on from posts by @aceedburn ) - It is at a whole different level, and - I don't need to install alternate fw mods (I just tried, and found that this version of stock sounds better to my ears)...

This has screwed with my mind,,,
It continues to screw with me. Honestly in as long as I can remember, I had a tough time putting down my Walkman as each song that was playing sounded so bloody good that I kept going on and on. Yes like i mentioned, the key words here are organic, warm and sheer analogue sounding. This is not a tuning mod and I don’t think I will ever need any tuning mod as the stock firmware is simply marvelous sounding. Every nuance, every sound, every frequency comes at you in that best possible way. Bro @MrWalkman has changed the 1A we know. It’s that drastic. I kid you not!

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #40,752 of 45,723
So what is the point of getting a WM1Z if the WM1A can be made to sound like it?

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #40,753 of 45,723

Still scanning album covers. I am 37.3% complete. Will do tags and file structure after I am done with album work.

Thanks in advance.
1. Yes
2. No
3. NA
4. Yes, Yes
5. Yes

I've also tag the sort album with the release order so that when viewing an artist the albums are shown in release order. For example 101 - Led Zeppelin , 102 - Led Zeppelin II, etc. I also 2xx for live albums, 3xx for compilations and 4xxx for soundtracks. I used to use year, but some older classic rock artists used to release more than 1 album a year and I had to play tricks to get them to sort correctly. So I moved to this method. This method also allows for up to 99 albums per category.

Thanks for answering. So you are saying you do album sort like the following:

Carry Underwood's first album is 101
Her second album is 102
If she has a live album, that would be 201 regardless of when it was released?
If she did an album with someone else, it would be 301?
If she did a sound track, that would be 401?

Just trying to understand the live, compilations and soundtracks numbering.

Glad to hear the WM1A/Z does genres correct. I will not consider a DAP that does not anymore.

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #40,754 of 45,723
So what is the point of getting a WM1Z if the WM1A can be made to sound like it?
If you can afford it why not. Maybe you prefer the gold color or the copper chassis and a few different components?

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #40,755 of 45,723
Because a WM1Z will sound even more organic, emotive, involving, musical, by nature of the improved hardware and components, than a WM1A running WM1Z firmware?

It's like swapping out the engine on an american car, with a porsche engine. It may be better than stock,maybe much better, but it will never be a porsche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back