SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #39,496 of 45,723
The reason I talk that way is in 1989 even up-to like 2009, there was a different Sony house sound. Then they started to go the present direction.
Funny you mention that!

The balanced cable came for the EX1000 today, very different animals being balanced compared to SE (maybe I can blame it on the stock EK-EX1000 cable??) - I think the EX1000 was the first high end Sony IEM after this transition, with the - at the time, newly developed LCP drivers - still a bit sharp in the treble, but I think I can work with that - FiiO bass tips seem to be a good start!

The bass on the LCP driver, whilst not as in your face / rich as that of the beryllium one in the FiiO FH7 - is seriously tuneful.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #39,497 of 45,723
is there a wm1a version for orion 6/7 ? i thought only orion 5/10 were wm1a-available
Yes fresh out of the oven. There’s no 10 for 1A. Not any more anyway. Only Orion 5,6&7

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #39,498 of 45,723
Yes fresh out of the oven. There’s no 10 for 1A. Not any more anyway. Only Orion 5,6&7

dl link , please ? or pm me if not available to public posts

thanx man :xf_cool:

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #39,499 of 45,723
Jun 12, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #39,501 of 45,723
Orion 8 goes extremely well with....tada...Senheiser Momentum 2 headphone, one of the warmest headphone I have in my stable, extremely colored, extremely warm, veiled, with overwhelming and messy bass.

Don't laugh, I'm very smitten with Momentum. With Orion 8 it becomes very lively, well disciplined, extremely well separation and clarity, open soundstage is the word. Slight warmth, crystal clear, good vocals, you can feel the emotions in the vocals, in the notes, extremely well controlled bass, very very good subbass, extended treble and bass, you can pretty much hear everything that's in the recording if its there, or at least 99% ( well, I'm using modded 1Z, but still). Just Wow, doesn't lose to EE Phantom at all. Using 4.4 mm balanced using generic 4.4 mm cables from Amazon. Just Wow!

I think I will be happy with Momentum if its the only headphone/ iem I have in my stable. Not saying Momentum is a very good headphone, its not, it has its limits. But the basic building block is already there, Orion 8 shaped everything else, put them the right order and speed, and voila, ear orgasm! My God, male vocals its so mesmerizing, they caress my soul; females vocals are so lively. I can listen for hours and hours, its very easy to get lost since they sounds so soothing and good.

Just want to add, majority of my songs are MP3 320 mbps format, some are FLAC and DSD, but they perform extremely well with Orion 8. I don't notice a lot of difference between different formats as longs as the master recording is good. Maybe the headphone/iems are forgiving, maybe the new FW help them perform to their max potentials, not sure, but I'm sure am enjoying them.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #39,502 of 45,723
Agree with you assessment. wait until you try stage6 and 7. They sound even better with my gear.
First, many tks to you because you bring the best thing for everyone such as me hehe. Second,I realy love your fw because it's very neutral, balance and relax. I can hear it for a long time. I love vinyl tuning but it too much bass for me and then i tried classical. It's maybe better but the mid of this fw is close to my ear. I tested orion 5 and orion 10. The orion10 is the best for me. It has the big soundstage, more details, high resolation but the subbass lack of deep, it's very speed so i definitely lost the energy of song. Maybe it suitable for pop, ballad so i can't feel it with rock, metal or classical. It'll better if you can improve the bass. This is my impression for your fw. Hope it will be helpful to you. Thanks again

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #39,503 of 45,723
I tested both the WP900 and ATH-AP2000Ti and they lacked bass but had a very bright signature. Then I went back to the Z7M2 and it didn’t have enough treble. The MDR-Z1R seemed more confused on where the treble should be as it seemed scattered but was better than the Z7M2. Seems like I can’t win and find a TOTL set of closed cans that can match the IER-Z1R’s perfection across the spectrum with the 1Z. I think I need to stop associating end game with high price. It may not always work that way. Or so I thought. I went back to my 1AM2 on the 1Z and it just needed a little more thickness to the drum beats but everything else was solid. Finally I tested my WH-1000XM3 on my iPhone 11 Pro and I could hear all the instruments equally with the EQ on the App and it made my ears completely satisfied. Sometimes I wonder if there’s something weird with my ears that it just seems to enjoy the XM3 is the best closed cans along with a very close second with the 1AM2 :-/
Whenever I have tried any Audio Technica they have usually sounded too bright or mid forward because my ears are used to the general old Sony tuning.
Someone mentioned a while back that both the Z7M2 and Z1R aren't actually designed to be used with portable devices, and as it is frequently said that they need more power to get all the frequencies sounded right, but then again they may just not be right for you. Probably because the 1AM2 were intended for out and about portable use they will sound better to you - I tried them and really liked them. I have the Denon D5200 and I feel they are easier to drive even with my WM1A, there are the D7200 and D9200 above my model, maybe you could try them? The D9200 are considered TOTL, you could try them next time.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #39,504 of 45,723
Even if you own the TOTL headphones you’ll always go back to your IER-Z1R as your used to them. Look at all the people that told you they like the IERs better. Also don’t forget all the people that the IERs don’t fit, or are uncomfortable to get fit for long periods. I myself don’t even try to put them in some order. I have in the past but the hierarchy changed. Your in a place (Tokyo) where maybe there is no personal TOTL choice; too many. And your simply doing these judgments siting in shops. It could even take place at home with a six feet tall stack of retail boxes. That’s why they say there is no end at times.

Have your best friend change you password. Leave now while you still have a chance of getting out. Your on the edge of the slippery slope. :)
Good advice, because you could have been cruel and opened another can of worms saying different cables might help, try the Z1R with a silver cable that'll bring out the treble :smiling_imp:

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #39,505 of 45,723
After changing the region of my Walkman, I got the white certificate showing up under settings.

Would that go away if I revert back to the original region?

If not, is there a way I can remove it?

11193953.jpeg

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #39,506 of 45,723
Been here and been before...
600x600bb.jpg

Simply builds and builds...

Q-6

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #39,507 of 45,723
After changing the region of my Walkman, I got the white certificate showing up under settings.

11193953.jpeg
Is just a certification of wireless conformity, nothing more nothing less, ignore it.

Q-6

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #39,508 of 45,723

That only appears when you use the J version as far as I know. It doesn't do anything special or wrong, so I would just ignore it.

1591998557389.png
1591998579461.png

:sweat_smile:

Edit: Some more fun stuff

img-01.png
sony_loading (1).gif
1592000200999.png

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #39,509 of 45,723
That only appears when you use the J version as far as I know. It doesn't do anything special or wrong, so I would just ignore it.

:sweat_smile:

Edit: Some more fun stuff

Also CA, likely a formality and an over sight. Has nothing to do with the sound signature.

Q-6

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #39,510 of 45,723
if there are any beatles fans here , this album is essential listening , imo

John and Paul's favorite musician , imagine an album as melodic as Abbey Road and as diverse as The White Album

Masterpiece , and i have a top notch 24/96 vinyl rip to share , to whoever is interested (just shoot me a pm)

1592004106797.png

full album in the YT link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back