SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #39,481 of 45,723
I switched back to 1A and loaded orion5 for 1A and something just struck me. I feel this configuration sounds better than 1Z with orion5. Bass sounds fuller and more defined. Perhaps @RobertP tuned it that way for the 1A to compensate for the lack of bass on 1A stock. Mids and treble are the same with 1Z. Whatever it is, I’m rocking this config. Fits my preferred sound sig better and I love it.
I also switched back to 1A and i had a same impression. I feel that 1A has deeper bass ,3D while the 1Z has speeder bass, clean and more details. Moreover, the mid of 1Z is thinner, fly more, smoother than 1A. The treb is also sprakle, attractive.

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #39,482 of 45,723
I tested both the WP900 and ATH-AP2000Ti and they lacked bass but had a very bright signature. Then I went back to the Z7M2 and it didn’t have enough treble. The MDR-Z1R seemed more confused on where the treble should be as it seemed scattered but was better than the Z7M2. Seems like I can’t win and find a TOTL set of closed cans that can match the IER-Z1R’s perfection across the spectrum with the 1Z. I think I need to stop associating end game with high price. It may not always work that way. Or so I thought. I went back to my 1AM2 on the 1Z and it just needed a little more thickness to the drum beats but everything else was solid. Finally I tested my WH-1000XM3 on my iPhone 11 Pro and I could hear all the instruments equally with the EQ on the App and it made my ears completely satisfied. Sometimes I wonder if there’s something weird with my ears that it just seems to enjoy the XM3 is the best closed cans along with a very close second with the 1AM2 :-/

Even if you own the TOTL headphones you’ll always go back to your IER-Z1R as your used to them. Look at all the people that told you they like the IERs better. Also don’t forget all the people that the IERs don’t fit, or are uncomfortable to get fit for long periods. I myself don’t even try to put them in some order. I have in the past but the hierarchy changed. Your in a place (Tokyo) where maybe there is no personal TOTL choice; too many. And your simply doing these judgments siting in shops. It could even take place at home with a six feet tall stack of retail boxes. That’s why they say there is no end at times.

Have your best friend change you password. Leave now while you still have a chance of getting out. Your on the edge of the slippery slope. :)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #39,483 of 45,723
Even if you own the TOTL headphones you’ll always go back to your IER-Z1R as your used to them. Look at all the people that told you they like the IERs better. Also don’t forget all the people that the IERs don’t fit, or are uncomfortable to get fit for long periods. I myself don’t even try to put them in some order. I have in the past but the hierarchy changed. Your in a place (Tokyo) where maybe there is no personal TOTL choice. And your simply doing these judgments siting in shops. It could even take place at home with a six feet tall stack of retail boxes. That’s why they say there is no end at times.

Have your best friend change you password. Leave now while you still have a chance of getting out. Your on the edge of the slippery slope. :)
Nyuk nyuk nyuk. Good point. I was just so surprised when I went back to the 1AM2, how such a low priced headphone (vs MDR-Z1R for example) can still be so darn close to the IER-Z1R in audio satisfaction minus the slightly muffled drum beats. But even then, their presence is known, so it’s not like they are overtaken by the other instruments present

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #39,484 of 45,723
Even if you own the TOTL headphones you’ll always go back to your IER-Z1R as your used to them. Look at all the people that told you they like the IERs better. Also don’t forget all the people that the IERs don’t fit, or are uncomfortable to get fit for long periods. I myself don’t even try to put them in some order. I have in the past but the hierarchy changed. Your in a place (Tokyo) where maybe there is no personal TOTL choice; too many. And your simply doing these judgments siting in shops. It could even take place at home with a six feet tall stack of retail boxes. That’s why they say there is no end at times.

I’ll say this, I can’t walk around with the IER-ZIR as the buds will always fall out. There was definitely a flaw in the design of the placement of the headphones. But then when I just sit or lay down at home for a couple of hours or late at night, they stay in place with no interference and my ears don’t hurt. For the audio goodness they bring, I will definitely compromise without a problem. Such exquisite presentation with the stock J 1Z and the 1A is so close. Wow

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #39,485 of 45,723
Nyuk nyuk nyuk. Good point. I was just so surprised when I went back to the 1AM2, how such a low priced headphone (vs MDR-Z1R for example) can still be so darn close to the IER-Z1R in audio satisfaction minus the slightly muffled drum beats. But even then, their presence is known, so it’s not like they are overtaken by the other instruments present

Look how much gear you already have. And you like it. The issue is only when a person isn’t satisfied. IMO

Actually there is nothing wrong with liking a consumer tune. I always think the IER-Z1R and others by Sony are some super consumer tune. Like they took Beats By Dre and made them audiophile? Actually I never heard Beats By Dre, but you get the idea.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #39,486 of 45,723
I also switched back to 1A and i had a same impression. I feel that 1A has deeper bass ,3D while the 1Z has speeder bass, clean and more details. Moreover, the mid of 1Z is thinner, fly more, smoother than 1A. The treb is also sprakle, attractive.
Agree with you assessment. wait until you try stage6 and 7. They sound even better with my gear.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #39,487 of 45,723
Look how much gear you already have. And you like it. The issue is only when a person isn’t satisfied. IMO

Actually there is nothing wrong with liking a consumer tune. I always think the IER-Z1R and others by Sony are some super consumer tune. Like they took Beats By Dre and made them audiophile? Actually I never heard Beats By Dre, but you get the idea.
The latest Beats Pro on ear cans sound muffled. Just too much bass. However, compared to the very first few years that beats came out, the current ones aren’t garbage at least. I can safely say that. But the bass in the XM3 can rival the Beats anytime if you tune it right, plus with the right EQ, can in my view be what many would call that neutral sound signature people are looking for. The WH-1000XM3’s bass can also be tamed very easily on the EQ of the 1Z and iPhone 11 Pro, but I just don’t think people have explored the true capabilities of those wireless cans. In my book, man they keep me happy whether I’m on the go or at home.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #39,488 of 45,723

The other thing is the 1AM2 is your friend. There is something to be said about being used to a tone. Your brain accepts it as correct. You could adjust to other tones but it takes time.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #39,489 of 45,723
The latest Beats Pro on ear cans sound muffled. Just too much bass. However, compared to the very first few years that beats came out, the current ones aren’t garbage at least. I can safely say that. But the bass in the XM3 can rival the Beats anytime if you tune it right, plus with the right EQ, can in my view be what many would call that neutral sound signature people are looking for. The WH-1000XM3’s bass can also be tamed very easily on the EQ of the 1Z and iPhone 11 Pro, but I just don’t think people have explored the true capabilities of those wireless cans. In my book, man they keep me happy whether I’m on the go or at home.

The reason I talk that way is in 1989 even up-to like 2009, there was a different Sony house sound. Then they started to go the present direction.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #39,490 of 45,723

Yeah first batch of japanese SACDs
They're slowly coming and yeah rip inmediately
1591971882186308614190918033531.jpg
IMG-20200612-WA0018.jpeg

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #39,491 of 45,723
Agree with you assessment. wait until you try stage6 and 7. They sound even better with my gear.
listening to orion stage 7 on 1A now. wow, still same warmth, deep bass and sweet mids and smooth treble but with more resolve. It's like orion 5 had it's veil lifted off, that's how i hear it on my stock 1A. Great job @RobertP

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #39,492 of 45,723
The other thing is the 1AM2 is your friend. There is something to be said about being used to a tone. Your brain accepts it as correct. You could adjust to other tones but it takes time.
This makes a lot of sense. Good advice that I will take with me. Thankee

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #39,493 of 45,723
Currently on Autumn+ after having tested some other firmwares. Pure magic is created in this thread. Still look for the best (sub)-bass though. For some reason I can't make my WM1A - IER-Z1R combination reach the bass extension of my iFi xDSD (without bass boost). So if anyone has some tips that would be great!

Another note is the bluetooth on my WM1A. Perhaps I read it wrong, but I should be able to connect it to my phone right? And then play whatever I play on my phone through my WM1A? I try to pair the two (galaxy s9) but it doesn't find anything in either devices.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #39,494 of 45,723
There's no right or wrong when it comes to audio gear.

My niece thinks the Apple Airpod Pro is the best sounding earphones she ever heard. I leave her to that.

I remember so fondly about 20years ago when I first listened to the Koss Porta Pros. Oh boy they were amazing sounding back then, that was before HD600/800, LCD and Z1R. But I think I might just buy myself a pair of Porta Pros in 2020 so as to reminiscent the sound from the old days of the tape Walkman.

There's is no such thing as the best/

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #39,495 of 45,723

is there a wm1a version for orion 6/7 ? i thought only orion 5/10 were wm1a-available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back