SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #39,421 of 45,723
Doesn’t hurt to check. But it seems like only 3 companies right now have the balanced cable, 4 If I recall a certain HiFiman set of cans having the 4.4mm (HE6SE if I remember correctly?). Audio-Technica, Sony, and Sennheiser. The HD820 sounded like garbage sadly when combined with my 1Z. The Z7M2 and MDR-Z1R I thought sounded good, but didn’t necessarily reflect their price points. This is all my opinion and I know others love Sony’s cans as much as I love the IER-Z1R And 1AM2. Just it just shows how certain sounds jell better with other people. I’m all fine with people disagreeing with my viewpoints here. All I know is that the AP2000Ti is now on my radar as my endgame cans which makes it all the more happy.

@Redcarmoose I will check out the Anole on Monday and report my impressions after testing them. By the way, I’m guessing test all the cans with both the 1A and 1Z or is the 1Z only enough?

I’m not sure the HE6SE comes terminated with 4.4 but even if they do no dap will be able to power them and many headphone amps might also struggle

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #39,422 of 45,723
I've switched to Lotoo PAW Gold Touch FW tunning mod. I did this time as follow: Rather than going from DMP-Z1 1.02 to Lotoo directly, I decided to roll-back to sony stock 3.02 and reboot, then apply the Lotoo and reboot again.. Nice sound quality I feel it is bigger soyndstage as the DMP-Z1

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #39,423 of 45,723
I’m not sure the HE6SE comes terminated with 4.4 but even if they do no dap will be able to power them and many headphone amps might also struggle
E-Earphone has one HiFiman headset with the 4.4mm. Should have taken pictures of it, doh.

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #39,424 of 45,723
Jun 11, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #39,425 of 45,723
Jun 11, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #39,426 of 45,723
Jun 11, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #39,427 of 45,723
What did you listen to them from ?
My 1Z was the source. They required over level 90 to listen to even less than medium noise levels. Takes too much juice to get th at a proper volume level

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #39,428 of 45,723
I have a question, if I want to change the region of the player and the firmware at the same time, can I change the region, then install the firmware that I want, then restart? Or should I change the region, restart, then change the firmware and restart again?

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #39,429 of 45,723
My 1Z was the source. They required over level 90 to listen to even less than medium noise levels. Takes too much juice to get th at a proper volume level

they require several watt to give their best.I had the original HE6 before I bought the MDR and TA and even the TA from balanced did not drive the HE6 properly, they could go loud enough but were nowhere near their best

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #39,430 of 45,723
I have a question, if I want to change the region of the player and the firmware at the same time, can I change the region, then install the firmware that I want, then restart? Or should I change the region, restart, then change the firmware and restart again?

Change region (and model if desired) and reboot, then install the correct stock fw (reboot happens automatically) and then install the desired mod (again reboot happens automatically)

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #39,431 of 45,723
Thats quiet interesting when going to 1a from real 1z dap with the switch tool.
I feel my 1z becomes much less vibrant and thick, bass has reduced alot no more sub bass rumble.
Everything seems to have flaten and became audiophile slim and thin sounding.

I came back to 1z original identity and all is back and fun and lushy )

I tested J + stock 3.0.2 on both

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #39,432 of 45,723
I’ve noticed that my battery is going flat very quickly all of a sudden... I’ve turned off the Bluetooth remote option, to see if this helps to stabilise it, if not - I’ll go back to stock for a while

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #39,433 of 45,723
I feel my 1z becomes much less vibrant and thick, bass has reduced alot no more sub bass rumble.

Yes, same goes from 1A to 1Z. After tested J + stock 3.0.2, it's less warmth than the actual 1Z and it a different kind of warmth. Vocals and instruments seem unnatural and vailed. Bass still far less energy and treble not as refined.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #39,434 of 45,723
How is the sound quality of the fiio X7ii or M11 non-pro (because the two SD slots) compares to WM1A
I can tell you the Fiio m11 has a very lively and nice but artificially wide and magnified soundstage.
I still would pick it over the slightly more distant and flat ibasso 220.
The 1a, even in stock form, destroy them.

I may look into the WP900 model as well, bu
I love all the Audio technica as I started with them, but lately the value for the money is just does not there..
They are very overpriced now as the competition has grown.

I've switched to Lotoo PAW Gold Touch FW tunning mod. I did this time as follow: Rather than going from DMP-Z1 1.02 to Lotoo directly, I decided to roll-back to sony stock 3.02 and reboot, then apply the Lotoo and reboot again.. Nice sound quality I feel it is bigger soyndstage as the DMP-Z1
I tried those yesterday.
That one was very good.
Did you try the "DMP portable Musical" yet?
:)

So you just prove that the 1a firmware is flatter and less lively.

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #39,435 of 45,723
:scream:
I’ve noticed that my battery is going flat very quickly all of a sudden... I’ve turned off the Bluetooth remote option, to see if this helps to stabilise it, if not - I’ll go back to stock for a while
Remember, if you did a reset of system settings, then you must also check or redo the battery energy-savings, screen timeout, brightness, and turn off the NFC..
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back