SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #37,742 of 45,723
Anybody ever hear such thing as a metadata editor that goes into your DAP, like a WM1A/1Z (while connected to a computer ) and cleans everything up, replaces or applies new album artwork, and allows you to make manual batch changes? No such thing, right?

May 19, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #37,743 of 45,723
Which custom firmware did you try and what were the reasons that made you switch back?

Many from differing contributor's, mostly as I have differing sounding IEM's and a wide range of genres so want to preserve a balance on the DAP. There's no compliant with the tuning equally it's always going to be specific to another's taste and headgear. Sony very likely look to strike the balance; going from the likes of CF Andromeda to Sony XBA-N3 is significant difference in sound signature.

The other factor is there are now over 50 variations of custom tuning and 16 regions to go through, I came to the conclusion that prefer to be enjoying the music without constantly analysing the tuning. I did consider doing something solely for myself, equally I came to the same endpoint where I would likely end up skewing the sound signature to serve one IEM over the others.

Q-6

May 19, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #37,744 of 45,723
Please try it with the J region setting with jupiter t2.
I tested the players at a shop, so they are J region by default. What is Jupiter t2? Google searched and couldn't come up with any results. Is that Campfire brand earphones?
Any description of how those two headphones sound? It may help me know which dap to get based on which headphone is closer to my IEM signatures
I would describe the MDR-Z1R as more of a concert stage presence and the IER-Z1R had me imagining like I'm at a movie theater or home theater surround sound if that makes sense?

May 19, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #37,745 of 45,723
I tested the players at a shop, so they are J region by default. What is Jupiter t2? Google searched and couldn't come up with any results. Is that Campfire brand earphones?
I would describe the MDR-Z1R as more of a concert stage presence and the IER-Z1R had me imagining like I'm at a movie theater or home theater surround sound if that makes sense?
Jupiter T2 or Tier 2 is a custom firmware for the 1A/Z.

May 19, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #37,746 of 45,723
Jupiter T2 or Tier 2 is a custom firmware for the 1A/Z.
Ah, then I can't do that since I only sampled the players at the store. Thanks a lot

May 19, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #37,747 of 45,723
Anybody ever hear such thing as a metadata editor that goes into your DAP, like a WM1A/1Z (while connected to a computer ) and cleans everything up, replaces or applies new album artwork, and allows you to make manual batch changes? No such thing, right?

Mp3tag on Windows but it is not magic and cant figure out on it’s own what you want done. In fact any tag editor can work on the files on the player when connected to a computer as the player is just another drive. Just be aware that you will probably have to do a manual rebuild of the library after you disconnect the player as it only recognises new and deleted files (and files where the name has changed)

May 19, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #37,748 of 45,723
I believe MP3tag and Tagscanner are able to do batch editing. I chose Tagscanner because it has a simple recompress setting to get those pesky album art to show up in Sony daps.

May 19, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #37,750 of 45,723
100 hours on the balanced output now with MDR-1ZR's.

I have to say that the experience is variable. With some music it sounds heavenly, other times it's totally swamped by the bass and thick mids. I think this is more a legacy of the 1Z than the 1ZR's - I tried them on my old DAC (single-ended) and they sounded "normal". I have the TA-ZH1E coming sometime in the next week, so will be interesting to see how that sounds.

I'm looking for an cable upgrade, probably the Sony Kimber is good enough, but I'm open to suggestions.

In the interim, I've dialled the bass down to -2, the mid -1 and treble +2 via the tone control and it's much better.

I have SE846's arriving tomorrow, so back onto the single-ended with those for night listening...

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #37,751 of 45,723
100 hours on the balanced output now with MDR-1ZR's.

I have to say that the experience is variable. With some music it sounds heavenly, other times it's totally swamped by the bass and thick mids. I think this is more a legacy of the 1Z than the 1ZR's - I tried them on my old DAC (single-ended) and they sounded "normal". I have the TA-ZH1E coming sometime in the next week, so will be interesting to see how that sounds.

I'm looking for an cable upgrade, probably the Sony Kimber is good enough, but I'm open to suggestions.

In the interim, I've dialled the bass down to -2, the mid -1 and treble +2 via the tone control and it's much better.

I have SE846's arriving tomorrow, so back onto the single-ended with those for night listening...

Going to break it to you but the 846 is all about sinking into sub-bass. The fit of shures are always awesome though.

May 19, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #37,752 of 45,723
My WM1A arrived yesterday, so after an initial full charge and a tweak of the settings (battery saver) etc I had a listen. Coming from a 3 year old ZX300 with about 550 hours on it I could immediately notice the difference and definitely consider it a step up, even without burn in, and worth the extra money. I have nothing bad at all to say about the ZX300, I had just found it too warm and lacking in detail and clarity as my tastes changed. My WM1A is nice to hold and I am enjoying the larger screen size.
In my simplistic descriptive terms I noticed more clarity and a wider soundstage with a more 3D presentation. There were on some songs an instrument in the background brought forward, almost sounding a bit odd, but I think this is where burn in smoothes things out across the frequencies. I'm going to clock up some burn in hours and I'll stay stock for a fair while to understand the sound before having a play with the firmwares or tunings.
Funny how warped your sense of time can be - I left it burning in overnight and I woke up and checked the device hoping to see 50 hours on it, no, not even close - the journey begins.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #37,753 of 45,723
I'm at work now and forgot to check about creating playlists on the device. The ZX300 was quite sluggish when using the playlist function, both adding and deleting a track, is the WM1A any faster?

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #37,754 of 45,723
I'm at work now and forgot to check about making playlists on the device. The ZX300 was quite sluggish when using the playlist function, both adding and deleting a track, is the WM1A any faster?
Music pauses when you delete a track. Dunno bout playlists since i do not use them

May 19, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #37,755 of 45,723
Did you enable High Gain ?

So... I spent the afternoon listening with high gain enabled, using the balanced 4.4mm connection into Senn HD-660S.
Much louder... but is the sound as good? Not sure I can tell, yet. I've been listening to some metal tracks and you know how that can dull your senses :L3000:

To this point in burn-in, I would say I've heard the best sound from the WM1A using a SE connection to Shure 846 + Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables - that was a "wow" moment.

FT CAP burn-in continues... but the new Woo amp has been ordered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back