SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #37,366 of 45,723
Pulled the trigger on a WM1a ... I couldn't justify the 2x cost for gold plating and Kimber wiring. I also purchased a dock from Japan; hopefully, it can still be shipped to the US.

New Walkman arrives on Wed... can't wait!

When I did a direct comparison of the two, the change was very evident in the balanced connection. The WM1Z is a whole different beast. The SE is meh imo. I moved to WM1Z from the SP1000 after I heard that balanced connection.

May 12, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #37,367 of 45,723
I ordered some SE846, but won't receive for 2 weeks - bit of a disaster with Amazon delivery times at the moment... :worried:

I was sorely tempted to get a pair if the Campfire Solaris as the price seems very good, but as I like the sound of the Shure SE535's and find them comfortable, will stick with those (plus half the price).

I got my IER-Z1R for €1500 with accessory jack. They're based in Hong Kong, so to avoid heavy import duties you ask him for an invoice of €200

May 12, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #37,369 of 45,723
Plan to do capacitors upgrade my own but wait until they need replaced. Maybe LOL. Elna are very good alternative caps also. They have similar sound signature from what I had read.
I'm still not bore with fw mod yet.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #37,370 of 45,723
I might grab a pair - considering I like the 535's, I'll likely be good with these - plus they're half the price of the Sony's IEM-1ZR's

I'm seeing two types on Amazon though - SE846-CL and SE846-CL-EFS, any idea what the difference may be, if any? I Googled fo it, but didn't find anything as of yet.
Hi, the bass of the se846 are no match with the Z5 and the highs are not that sparkle as the Z5.
SE846 have fantastic mids and the fit is very good.
The sound tubes are a gimmick, the neutral blue tube is fine.
The Z5 are awsome with electronic music, just like at a concert, when on balanced you are in the studio.

May 12, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #37,371 of 45,723
Hi, the bass of the se846 are no match with the Z5 and the highs are not that sparkle as the Z5.
SE846 have fantastic mids and the fit is very good.
The sound tubes are a gimmick, the neutral blue tube is fine.
The Z5 are awsome with electronic music, just like at a concert, when on balanced you are in the studio.

It depends if you want balanced sound or not. The SE846 are really good at reproducing the rumble of a subwoofer for lower frequencies, but the bass is not amplified like in the Z5. It's more to listen to it rather than to feel it.

I personally wish the bass of Z5 would be in just a bit less quantity, and they would be perfect.

Also, you're comparing apples to oranges, as the SE846 are fully balanced armature based, while the Z5 are hybrid. And the tubes really do what Shure says they do. The black one has a -2.5dB reduction in highs, while the white one offers a +2.5dB increase.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #37,372 of 45,723
When I did a direct comparison of the two, the change was very evident in the balanced connection. The WM1Z is a whole different beast. The SE is meh imo. I moved to WM1Z from the SP1000 after I heard that balanced connection.

Hmm... well, I have both SE and 4.4mm balanced cables for my HD-660S. If "meh" really turns out to be true, it's going back to Amazon.

May 12, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #37,373 of 45,723
Plan to do capacitors upgrade my own but wait until they need replaced. Maybe LOL. Elna are very good alternative caps also. They have similar sound signature from what I had read.
I'm still not bore with fw mod yet.
How do you compare the Classical fw to the Autumn+? I'm interested because I did not try Classical and judging by this thread is the prefered along with Autumn+.

May 12, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #37,374 of 45,723
I got my IER-Z1R for €1500 with accessory jack. They're based in Hong Kong, so to avoid heavy import duties you ask him for an invoice of €200

Yeah, I looked at their page, but was wondering what they did regarding customs. Useful info for the future, thanks!

I have IER-Z1R's arriving Thursday from Amazon UK - £1350 with the VAT off (I am registered)

May 12, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #37,375 of 45,723
It depends if you want balanced sound or not. The SE846 are really good at reproducing the rumble of a subwoofer for lower frequencies, but the bass is not amplified like in the Z5. It's more to listen to it rather than to feel it.

I personally wish the bass of Z5 would be in just a bit less quantity, and they would be perfect.

Also, you're comparing apples to oranges, as the SE846 are fully balanced armature based, while the Z5 are hybrid. And the tubes really do what Shure says they do. The black one has a -2.5dB reduction in highs, while the white one offers a +2.5dB increase.

Well there are no absolutes in sound, as we know, it's a very individual thing.

I'm not overly keen on too much bass - it's the Achilles-heel of the 1000X3's, woofy bass and too much of it, I'm sending the pair back that I bought.

Also wearability - I look at the XBA-Z5 and they're pretty bulky. Most of my inner-ear listening will be in bed, so something comfortable, that I can even lie on, is very appealing.

So I'll see how the 846's go - I can't seem to find the XBA-Z5 on Amazon anyway (and I insist to use Amazon as I can return without hassle stuff I don't like).

May 12, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #37,376 of 45,723
After tried all combo sinergy i'm stuck on mx3 and wm1az1....the MX3 give me a brilliant three-dimensionality while wm1az1 gives a gloriously organic tone.
This combo made my 9200 really natural,but my ears got a different resolution between "digital sound" and "organic sound";with the second one i feel more real but "less" clear.
i have a wm1a...and i tought..if i buy wm1z and use same settings...should i've hear substantial differences?I red the wm1z without any mod it sound so smooth,natural and more resolute..
is better to modify (trought hardware) my wm1a or buy a new wm1z?
i tried to change other regions,but no one give me this three-dimensionality of MX3.
i just want to improve a little the resoution,because this is my perfect sound

May 12, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #37,377 of 45,723
Well there are no absolutes in sound, as we know, it's a very individual thing.

I'm not overly keen on too much bass - it's the Achilles-heel of the 1000X3's, woofy bass and too much of it, I'm sending the pair back that I bought.

Also wearability - I look at the XBA-Z5 and they're pretty bulky. Most of my inner-ear listening will be in bed, so something comfortable, that I can even lie on, is very appealing.

So I'll see how the 846's go - I can't seem to find the XBA-Z5 on Amazon anyway (and I insist to use Amazon as I can return without hassle stuff I don't like).
If you enjoy listening in bed you might want to avoid the Z5, even on your back your head sinks into the pillow the stick out design can be affected. They sounded so right for me but that darn fit drove me to seek out something with an actual in-ear design. The Z5 driven from a phone or weak source might give you an undesirable boomy bass sound but driven from a balanced output it tightens up and has a nice textured presentation that made me smile, but is comes down to taste.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #37,378 of 45,723
If you enjoy listening in bed you might want to avoid the Z5, even on your back your head sinks into the pillow the stick out design can be affected. They sounded so right for me but that darn fit drove me to seek out something with an actual in-ear design. The Z5 driven from a phone or weak source might give you an undesirable boomy bass sound but driven from a balanced output it tightens up and has a nice textured presentation that made me smile, but is comes down to taste.

I did like the Z5 sound but fit was impossible so I sold them when I got the IER-Z1R which fits me perfectly even for lying on my side with the head on the pillow and I also prefer the Z1R sound but then they cost a lot more

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #37,379 of 45,723
What a great sound (MDR-Z1R) from this one, despite being early CD box set (initial release with Erato ca. 1987) x34CD

15893083718736422016151632424322.jpg

May 12, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #37,380 of 45,723
How do you compare the Classical fw to the Autumn+? I'm interested because I did not try Classical and judging by this thread is the prefered along with Autumn+.
Classical tuned from mod WM1A tier3.
Autumn+ I think tuned from stock WM1A. If your 1A is currently stock, it should works best with it. Feel free to try classical and other fw too if you like. You can always restore back to whatever fw you like.
Tier3 mod is just a different beast so imho any stock tuned fw won't optimize for it. That doesn't mean the tune is bad either. I don't have stock 1A so I can't very give you fair opinion on Autumn+ firmware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back