SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #36,601 of 45,723
Hi all, its been a while since i updated my unit. I see 3.02 is available with some useful features I would like to use. Problem is i only have a mac at home and it seems like its only available to update with a windows PC. Is there away around this other user have found pls?

I used my Mac to update to 3.02. Depends on what OS you’re currently running. Works fine on anything up to Mojave.

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #36,602 of 45,723
I used my Mac to update to 3.02. Depends on what OS you’re currently running. Works fine on anything up to Mojave.
Thanks slumberman ive got Catalina onboard. Will give it a try. The last update i did was years ago and i remmebr then ont he websites there were two routes to go down to update. One PC one Mac. I'll connect and give it a go, see where it gets me. Cheers

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #36,607 of 45,723
I would be nice if anyone can try to mod stock 1Z FW 2.0, I really miss out that oganic sound

Apr 22, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #36,608 of 45,723
I started testing the Season firmwares and I would like to thank @morgenstern09 and @aceedburn for their hard work.

I've installed so far Autumn, Autumn+ and WInter but I must say they are not my cup of tea. They sound clean, impactful, tighter and very resolving without being sharp but they are very upper midrange/treble heavy and lack some kind of softness and finesse. I find them fatiguing and not really melodious. At the same time they are not as direct as stock firmwares. I feel very slight, like semi translucent barrier between me and the music. It's hard to compare these firmwares head to head but I've got Ibasso DX160 which is neutral with only slight hint of warmth and it feels warmer, more musical and more direct than WM1A on season firmwares. On the contrary with stock firmwares it's the WM1A which feels more melodious, thicker and warmer than DX160.

I would say that these firmware would be probably a good pair with headphones that are darker and with very gentle and laid back treble. I assume from the descriptions that summer and Spring are even brighter?

I was testing on Shure KSE1200.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #36,609 of 45,723
PJ Harvey
600x600bb.jpg
600x600bb.jpg
If not listened to her work, you owe it to yourself...

Q-6

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #36,610 of 45,723
Over the last month at home I’ve been timing my 1Z under various conditions.

3 1/2 years old with about 3.500 hours of play time (unit had a factory reset at about 2.700 hours).
Unit in stand by when not playing, never turned off.
Battery saver 90% play 3-5 hours per day until turn off.
Balanced out 3.02 J plus Autumn+ or Solis

2020-03-26 723 hours: BaseLine
2020-03-31 738 hours: 15 hours HiRes flac with Vinyl processor + Normal gain
2020-04-05 753 hours: 15 hours HiRes flac with Vinyl processor + High gain
2020-04-10 771 hours: 18 hours HiRes flac Source Direct + Normal gain
2020-04-16 788 hours: 18 hours HiRes flac Source Direct + High gain
2020-04-21 809 hours: 21 hours Red Book flac Source Direct + High gain

So vinyl processor cost 3 hours play time as does mixed hires but high gain to same volume does not cost any.

Thanks man, i needed this. I tought high gain drained the battery like the screen brightness so i leave it off, now i'm back to 3.02 on high gain and the bass is more where i like it volume 80, and with the improve clarity of the 3.02. Yesterday i listened to The Chemical Brothers Come With Us with this configuration, big sound

87356.jpg

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #36,611 of 45,723
I started testing the Season firmwares and I would like to thank @morgenstern09 and @aceedburn for their hard work.

I've installed so far Autumn, Autumn+ and WInter but I must say they are not my cup of tea. They sound clean, impactful, tighter and very resolving without being sharp but they are very upper midrange/treble heavy and lack some kind of softness and finesse. I find them fatiguing and not really melodious. At the same time they are not as direct as stock firmwares. I feel very slight, like semi translucent barrier between me and the music. It's hard to compare these firmwares head to head but I've got Ibasso DX160 which is neutral with only slight hint of warmth and it feels warmer, more musical and more direct than WM1A on season firmwares. On the contrary with stock firmwares it's the WM1A which feels more melodious, thicker and warmer than DX160.

I would say that these firmware would be probably a good pair with headphones that are darker and with very gentle and laid back treble. I assume from the descriptions that summer and Spring are even brighter?

I was testing on Shure KSE1200.
Try Spring which has a more balanced sound.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #36,612 of 45,723
I would be nice if anyone can try to mod stock 1Z FW 2.0, I really miss out that oganic sound
There really isn't modded firmware. The reality is there is modified tunings that get loaded when installing firmware.

If you reinstall the same firmware version or even try to load an invalid firmware image the new tuning which is in SWUpdate.xml will get loaded and overwrite the default sound signature but still allow access to all normal sound settings.

The details on how to modify SWUpdate.xml has not been made public but maybe @Whitigir or @morgenstern09 can help you.

Apr 22, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #36,613 of 45,723
Edit: In the meantime, another tuning mod was released for the WM1A (ZTAZ1), which is available here (click). Also, feel free to check my signature for additional ones.

Hello, and allow me to introduce you...

Avlos and Diavlos.

If you applied other tunings before, it's recommended that you first flash the stock 3.02 firmware (download here) before applying one of these tunings.

Avlos
(or Diavlos) was one of the most significant ancient Greek wind instruments used
in almost all the private and public ceremonies, in national competitions, in processions
and in tragedies. It was connected with the worship of the ancient God Dionysus. Dionysus
was the Olympian god of wine, vegetation, pleasure, festivity, madness and wild frenzy.

Avlos - Sweet and laid back sound, with unmistakable detail retrieval, and balanced
all across the range. Experience warmth, musicality, and smoothness in your music.

Diavlos - Feel the punch and let the bass depth rattle your senses while producing
clear and airy vocals, coupled with silky smooth highs with excellent detail retrieval.

Feel free to give them a try, here (click).

Please note that the tunings were achieved on a stock WM1A, with firmware version 3.02, and
region J. Though you can find packages for WM1Z and ZX300/A in the link above, the tunings
may sound slightly different than on a stock WM1A.

Only Windows versions are available.

Thanks again, @aceedburn, for helping with the testing and with the descriptions for the mods.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #36,614 of 45,723

Avlos and Diavlos.

Avlos
(or Diavlos) was one of the most significant ancient Greek wind instruments used
in almost all the private and public ceremonies, in national competitions, in processions
and in tragedies. It was connected with the worship of the ancient God Dionysus. Dionysus
was the Olympian god of wine, vegetation, pleasure, festivity, madness and wild frenzy.

Avlos - Sweet and laid back sound, with unmistakable detail retrieval, and balanced
all across the range. Experience warmth, musicality and smoothness in your music.

Diavlos - Feel the punch and let the bass depth rattle your senses while producing
clear and airy vocals coupled with silky smooth highs with excellent detail retrieval.

Please note that the tunings were achieved on a stock WM1A, with firmware version 3.02, and
region J. Though you can find packages for WM1Z and ZX300/A in the link above, the tunings

Thanks again, @aceedburn, for helping with the testing and with the descriptions for the mods.

Enjoy!

yes please , thank you very much indeed :xf_cool:

ps : here is today's stellar Prog House mix (from 2001)

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #36,615 of 45,723

Avlos and Diavlos.

Avlos

all across the range. Experience warmth, musicality, and smoothness in your music.

clear and airy vocals, coupled with silky smooth highs with excellent detail retrieval.

Only Windows versions are available.

Enjoy!

Awsom will try them very soon :) I suspect those new names on the firmwares are related to the latest interactions that occurred between the two teams he, quiet a big deviation from seasons all the way up to the gods ;P

From the description I feel that I might like the Avlos :) the god of the pleasures ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back