SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #36,241 of 45,723
It's basically the same way, except that in those packages there's a big .UPG file that helps with nothing, as no actual flashing is involved.

Quote source (click).

If the big .UPG were to actually be decrypted and unpacked, the update progress bar would reach the end, and the update would take more than just 2-3 seconds (more like almost 1 minute, like when flashing stock official firmware downloaded from Sony).

So all Planetary System mods could be also made into these small packages as well, and they would work.

As Morbideath/Whitigir prefer not sharing stuff about this process, I would rather not share as well. The info is still available out there, somewhere.

By the way, this is an official 192 kHz MQA file (it gets unpacked to this sample rate by the Walkman), if you would be curious about how it sounds :)
MQA is a diabolical format
*lossy truncated to between 13 and 17 bits
*producers must PAY ROYALTIES (in theory in the future.it could be DRM botched )
DRM is already happening with TIDAL offline files, iant it?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #36,242 of 45,723
*Invented by British people = brexit

Nice objective viewpoint.
Suggest you bin the political claptrap, it does you a disservice. What MQA has to do with brexit, and brexit has to do with portable audio is beyond me.

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #36,245 of 45,723
The only thing MQA is good for is that it is forcing the sound engineers to remix their masters and getting rid of bad practices that were introduced by the loudness war by using rigid guidelines and a certification process so people won't do stupid things like dynamically compressing the music until it has no dynamic range left, as a container it is inferior to just plan old hires lossless FLAC.

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #36,246 of 45,723
Nice objective viewpoint.
Suggest you bin the political claptrap, it does you a disservice. What MQA has to do with brexit, and brexit has to do with portable audio is beyond me.
Sorry, my bad , post edited

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #36,247 of 45,723
Apr 15, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #36,248 of 45,723
Hello,

I've been experimenting a bit, and I came up with 3 versions of tuning for WM1A: A, B, and C.

If you'd like to give them a try and leave your feedback, it would be appreciated. Also, you may find something you like.

In the link you can find packages for each region (EU/JP/U). Also, before the Software Update tool will start, you will be greeted with this:

1586912584100.png

This will allow you to choose what version you would like to apply the tuning to. For example, if at the moment you use the 3.01 firmware, you should choose option b. After you'll enter "b" and then press the Enter key, the Software Update tool will start, ready to apply the tuning for the firmware you have already installed.

Why are the packages so small?

There is no thing as a special "modded" firmware at the moment. All the magic takes place in the SWUpdate.xml file. The UPG that we all have in previous mods gets sent to the device, and the device will just not use it, as it's not intended for the WM1A (or WM1Z, in case of other mods for this device). This is why the update progress bar doesn't reach the end when you flash one of the mods. However, the updater will use values from SWUpdate.xml and apply them to the device.

What does it sound like?

The main idea was to keep the great soundstage of the "DMP-Z1 1.02 mod" and have fuller mids, with the great bass of the same mentioned mod. Version C has an interesting soundstage, that at first was giving me a weird feeling for some reason. The B version's soundstage doesn't give me the weird feeling, but the bass seems a bit too punchy for me - someone else may like it, so I kept it. Version A keeps the version B's soundstage, with less punchy bass (which seems right to me).

I welcome you to try them for yourselves. Also check the 3.5 mm port.

Why just WM1A?

I don't own a WM1Z. If anyone wants to try this on a WM1Z, please PM me.

Where's the download link?

The download link is here (click).

Note that this is just the result of some personal experimentation - you can either like it or not!

Also, I can confirm that there is no risk of any kind of bricking or anything similar.

Though I won't get into details, credits for the method of tuning goes to whoever discovered this and decided to make it public (you're a cool person)!

Edit:
The tuning was done on some pretty neutral headphones (DT770 Pro). Also, the region that was used during the process is J.

version A seems very interesting , will try it out

one question , i am currently on FW 3.02 , does this mean i run V1 and then press a?

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #36,249 of 45,723
version A seems very interesting , will try it out

one question , i am currently on FW 3.02 , does this mean i run V1 and then press a?
Yes. It’s a very user friendly installer. Just press the alphabet that corresponds with your firmware version and the installer will start right away. And the installers are super small in size. There are version for all three regions. Universal, Europe and Japan as usual. Stay tuned for more exciting firmware coming your way from @morgenstern09
We just spent the last 3 hours testing loads of firmwares. Installer has also been fixed to auto exit the firmware loading screen when done. Exciting new sounds coming your way real soon.

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #36,250 of 45,723
Ok. So here goes. After spending an entire afternoon with @morgenstern09 trying out some new firmwares that dramatically change the sound of the stock 1A, we have finalised 4 new firmwares for your enjoyment. Here is the summary of the firmwares. We hope you like it and please give us your comments. The installers are super lightweight, very intuitive and user friendly and works for 3.0, 3.01 and 3.02 original firmwares. There will be a firmware selection screen that pops up asking you to select your firmware version and then the installer works it magic and shuts downs automatically. Uploading of files will be done shortly.

WM2020 Firmware
(all these firmwares were tested on stock 1A without any modifications or the need for any high end gear)

1. Summer - As the sun shines brightly, the warm and Holographic soundstage that is insanely wide envelopes you with lush mids and ultra smooth highs while producing a very refined and deep bass experience.
2. Autumn - As the leaves fall, the thick and rich mids coupled with refined treble and super deep bass gives you an enveloping wide stage of powerful and impactful sound.
3. Winter - As the snow falls, the gentle and warm mids coupled with silky smooth treble elevate you to reach the deepest depths of bass and enjoy a sound that plays well with all genres.
4. Spring - When the leaves grow, you get a sense of clean and detailed resolution that shines through with ease. The highs, mids and lows blend together in a very balanced yet enjoyable way with a tinge of warmth.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #36,251 of 45,723
Edit (May 8th): In the meantime, another tuning mod was released for the WM1A (ZTAZ1), which is available here (click). Also, feel free to check my signature for additional ones.

Check out Autumn+ here (click).

Hello again :)

After the initial experimentation which resulted in the V7 A, B, and C tunings (most notable being A), here are...

The Seasons (click)

If you applied other tunings before, it's recommended that you first flash the stock 3.02 firmware (download here) before applying one of these tunings.

Read more about each season, here:
1. Summer - As the sun shines brightly, the warm and Holographic soundstage that is insanely
wide envelopes you with lush mids and ultra smooth highs while producing a very refined and
deep bass experience.

2. Autumn - As the leaves fall, the thick and rich mids coupled with refined treble and super deep
bass gives you an enveloping wide stage of powerful and impactful sound.

3. Winter - As the snow falls, the gentle and warm mids coupled with silky smooth treble elevate you
to reach the deepest depths of bass and enjoy a sound that plays well with all genres.

4. Spring - When the leaves grow, you get a sense of clean and detailed resolution that shines through
with ease. The highs, mids and lows blend together in a very balanced yet enjoyable way with a tinge
of warmth.

We hope you'll enjoy them as much as we do, and don't hesitate to leave your feedback.

In the link above you can find packages for each region (EU/JP/U). Also, before the Software Update tool will start, you will be greeted with this:

1586945584120.png

This will allow you to choose to what version of firmware you would like to apply the tuning to. For example, if at the moment you use the 3.01 firmware, you should choose option b. After you'll enter "b" and then press the Enter key, the Software Update tool will start, ready to apply the tuning for the firmware you have already installed.

What about WM1Z?

I don't own a WM1Z and the end result might be a bit different. If anyone wants to try this on a WM1Z, click here.

As @aceedburn mentioned, the testing was done on stock WM1A with 3.02 firmware, using the J region.

Credits:

- unknown Chinese Walkman enthusiast who decided to share some details about his discovery
- me for the tuning process
- @aceedburn for helping me with testing different tunings until this was achieved, and providing the descriptions for these mods

Also, don't hesitate to try out that 3.5 mm port! :)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #36,252 of 45,723
Hello again :)

After the initial experimentation which resulted in the V7 A, B, and C tunings (most notable being A), here are...

The Seasons (click)

Many thanks to @aceedburn for helping with the testing, and also with the beautiful description of each tuning.

We hope you'll enjoy them as much as we do, and don't hesitate to leave your feedback.

In the link above you can find packages for each region (EU/JP/U). Also, before the Software Update tool will start, you will be greeted with this:

This will allow you to choose to what version of firmware you would like to apply the tuning to. For example, if at the moment you use the 3.01 firmware, you should choose option b. After you'll enter "b" and then press the Enter key, the Software Update tool will start, ready to apply the tuning for the firmware you have already installed.

Why just WM1A?

I don't own a WM1Z. If anyone wants to try this on a WM1Z, please PM me.

As @aceedburn mentioned, the testing was done on stock WM1A, using the J region.
Just tried my romi modded 1A with Autumn and I enjoy it very much (Autumn is my favorite season so I tried this at once). As described by @aceedburn, the mid is thick with deep bass and smooth treble. Will try all seasons out with my different gears and share later.

Thanks so much @aceedburn and @morgenstern09 for bringing us these wonderful FWs of seasons with the great installer.

Apr 15, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #36,253 of 45,723
so i let my wm1a play till the battery drained out and it shut off

i have put the charging cable in order for the battery to recharge, but it does not open - so i guess it's normal to not power up after i have just plugged it in order for the battery to recharge , right ?

edit : it opened up so everything is fine i guess , i will just let it recharge till 100%

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #36,255 of 45,723
so i let my wm1a play till the battery drained out and it shut off

i have put the charging cable in order for the battery to recharge, but it does not open - so i guess it's normal to not power up after i have just plugged it in order for the battery to recharge , right ?

Yes, it happened to me. Just leave it for a few minutes and it will eventually turn on and continue charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back