SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #34,471 of 45,723
Oh. Interesting, thanks. For some reason I remember the 4.4mm cable being unique to only Sony.
No, 4.4mm is Industrial Standard, just as much as XLR cables is. The XLR cables is balanced for desktop systems, and 4.4mm is standard for Portable players.

If anyone is being Unique by themself, it is A&K that has unique plugs of 2.5mm and only A&K, the 2.5mm is not standard, and A&K will not adopt into Industrial standard of 4.4mm

The special about Sony is that Sony was the first one to “adopt the newest industrial standard of 4.4mm into the Walkman WM1A/Z”

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #34,473 of 45,723
The Sub Bass response after changing the battery wires has increased quite a bit, to the point that firmware 2.0 that I was on is borderline unusable,
Tried Solis, but the Female vocals are bit higher in the mix, reminds me of firmware 3.02, which was not my cup of tea.
Jupiter Tier 3 sounds damn near perfect to my ears.....i'll be parked on this one for a bit.

Thank you @Whitigir @Morbideath
This is awesome, you guys have outdone yourselves :)
The clarity, Dynamics, resolution is stunning. Stage is so natural, and realistic. Love it.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #34,474 of 45,723
The Sub Bass response after changing the battery wires has increased quite a bit, to the point that firmware 2.0 that I was on is borderline unusable,
Tried Solis, but the Female vocals are bit higher in the mix, reminds me of firmware 3.02, which was not my cup of tea.
Jupiter Tier 3 sounds damn near perfect to my ears.....i'll be parked on this one for a bit.

Thank you @Whitigir @Morbideath
This is awesome, you guys have outdone yourselves :)
The clarity, Dynamics, resolution is stunning. Stage is so natural, and realistic. Love it.
Now, swap the DC Ground in the back, you will see even more improvemenets. You can use large Awg or multiple 22-24Awg
This is pretty much Music Sanctuary Tier 3 mod. The best materials here is better be Litz-type
C971A546-C97F-4582-8C1C-DB88CB2F6612.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #34,475 of 45,723
Now, swap the DC Ground in the back, you will see even more improvemenets. You can use large Awg or multiple 22-24Awg
This is pretty much Music Sanctuary Tier 3 mod. The best materials here is better be Litz-type
Do you happen to know the gauge of the stock ground wire?
I have a bunch of 20 and 18 gauge copper wire laying around.

This is stunning, can't get over how real and crisp pianos sound, and so much information is coming up in the mix.

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #34,476 of 45,723
Do you happen to know the gauge of the stock ground wire?
I have a bunch of 20 and 18 gauge copper wire laying around.

This is stunning, can't get over how real and crisp pianos sound, and so much information is coming up in the mix, crystal clear.
You don’t have to. I think the stock is about 24awg or so.....I forgot to check the last time..... Use at least of that, but Litz type. If you don’t have Litz, then use multiple insulated solid core, such as Mundorft is wonderful....it could be 4x24awg...remember To remain flexible too, so in the future you can take it off and upgrade caps if needed

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #34,477 of 45,723
You don’t have to. I think the stock is about 24awg or so.....I forgot to check the last time..... Use at least of that, but Litz type. If you don’t have Litz, then use multiple insulated solid core, such as Mundorft is wonderful....it could be 4x24awg...remember To remain flexible too, so in the future you can take it off and upgrade caps if needed
I'll get this done tonight, shouldn't take me very long.
This Jupiter T3 has the same DMP rendering of instruments, where it's a holographic rendition. Instruments have that edge that lingers for just an instant.
I did not think the 1A was capable of reproducing it to this level.
Incredible job you guys :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

DMP is on another level of course, but this is quite something for a DAP.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #34,478 of 45,723
I'll get this done tonight, shouldn't take me very long.
This Jupiter T3 has the same DMP rendering of instruments, where it's a holographic rendition. Instruments have that edge that lingers for just an instant.
I did not think the 1A was capable of reproducing it to this level.
Incredible job you guys :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

DMP is on another level of course, but this is quite something for a DAP.
Well, when you are done with Tier 3 hardware mode, it is better....but Tier 4 (replacing caps) is where the magic is at :D

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #34,480 of 45,723
Cant wait for my K mod project!

Atm playing with fourte noire and some cable rolling.

Jupiter T3 and Dmp 1.02 on J is the 2 best firmwares in my opinion.

But lately I tried Mercury T3 with new iem and I liked it!
Was very refined and elegant easy detail separation and good balance.... but dmp and Jupiter are more fun and alive slightly aggressive/active.

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #34,481 of 45,723
Are these firmware mods likely to affect the sound from my 1A when used as a transport going to an external DAC and amp? I would guess that all of the firmware enhancements would take place in the 1A DAC and amp sections, not in the upfront transport of bits.

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #34,482 of 45,723
I can confirm I hear cavernous but may not be solis maybe E2, can someone check this? I hear ir louder than Mx3 and slight reverb on it!

MX3 ----- Detailed and rumbly low bass with loads of detail Stock FW of my 1A
J -------- Thick very warm and some mid-bass present elegant… is thick, rich & emotive
CN ------ Similar to MX3 but with better resolution slightly more piercing
CA ------ V sound
CEV ---- Elevated highs and more power shallow bass? slightly narrow and difuse highs
E -------- too much V to the point of being harsh in the highs
E2 ------ Cavernous and Loud Forward Sounding? (I hear that)

Yes E2 is louder and powerful. You need to reduce your volume a few clicks than your usual listening volume to enjoy it.

For my setup on 3.02.
E I play it at about 72-75.
E2 I play it at 65-68

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #34,483 of 45,723
Are these firmware mods likely to affect the sound from my 1A when used as a transport going to an external DAC and amp? I would guess that all of the firmware enhancements would take place in the 1A DAC and amp sections, not in the upfront transport of bits.

No only that u input the dap. Not if u use it as usb out. But analog out will be affected...

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #34,484 of 45,723
Yes E2 is louder and powerful. You need to reduce your volume a few clicks than your usual listening volume to enjoy it.

Hmmm I will try mx3 havent tried that one yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back