SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #32,808 of 45,723
It’s really a curiosity why the Sony corporation would not think these renditions of the Walkman sound would benefit everyone; including Walkman sales. Is it that they didn’t have the ability to reduce the DMP-Z1 software by 10% so the Walkmans could utilize them? It may simply be that the DMP-Z1 renditions are a creative random discovery using primarily the effort in programming and sound architecture designed for the DMP-Z1? Obviously the 3rd party software is fantastic. It’s also surprising the public could out-do Sony at there own game, with a bunch of help due to Sony’s existing software. I haven’t made it to 1.02 yet but D1.01 makes the 1A better sounding than it’s ever been. The soundstage is more 3D. The background is deep and super black.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #32,809 of 45,723
So asking again my question #2

Are these firmware updates primarily geared for iem’s or do headphone users also benefit (Utopia)?

Feb 28, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #32,814 of 45,723
Hello everyone!

Out of curiosity, What is wrong with the original firmware of 1Z or 1A to make you do these modded fw?

I still haven’t even changed from 3.02 on the 1Z. But everyone is going to have slightly different reasons. The reasons though will be parallel to the typical issues audiophiles have. Finding a firmware which creates an improved sonic landscape can come from many directions and will center on personal sound signature preferences as well as IEMs used.

So far with the 1A, 3.02 is too bright....so I rolled back to 3.01 before the mods came. But the DMP-Z1 1.01 update offers a blacker background and overall smoothness taking a tiny bit of the digital-edge away replacing it with a bigger soundstage and naturalness. If you do update DMP-1Z 1.02 is a much more popular update; I just haven’t got to it.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #32,815 of 45,723
Well, that was one of my best listening sessions I've had for a very long time. Could easily sit here and listen to music the whole night but I have to be a functioning adult tomorrow unfortunately.

The Ultimate 1.02 fw is some sort of witchcraft for my ears.

Tried out a few different IEM's. Here are my thoughts:

IER-Z1R: Still my no.1 and sounds even more incredible with U1.02. The treble really stands out as the biggest improvement. Detail retrieval is through the roof. But, I think it amplifies the V signature a fair bit so it may not suit everyone.

IER-M9: Probably the biggest improvement of the lot with this firmware. M9 can sound boring at times, but not at all with this firmware. Dynamics are noticeably improved. I think M9 owners/fans will be very happy with this fw.

Andromeda S: Meh. I think I prefer the stock fw with the andros.

Anole VX: Detail is taken to an even higher level. Was impressed initially but after hearing the others, the improvements didn't feel so huge.

Solaris SE: These are still new to me so I'm still forming my opinion, but listening to them with this fw was the best I've heard them so far. Sparkly airy treble like Andromeda but with DD bass, but the bass extended a bit further. Massive soundstage. Nicely balanced.

EX1000: More detail, bass slightly elevated from normal, treble sounds nice (not too peaky)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #32,816 of 45,723
No worry, I don’t have anything funky in there, just a sub folder inside a folder because I had so many experiments to work out the theories. Feel free to scan it

I didn't expect there to be and the scan didn't find anything, just strange

Feb 28, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #32,817 of 45,723
Yes, just switched to DMP-1Z 1.02......and I don’t think the 1A can get any better? Authority in spades along with a giant soundstage with more detail than ever. Really detail in places which far surpasses the 1Z with 3.02? It’s scary good? Unbelievable really.

Wait for me to say the classic, listening to old songs and hearing new things. There...... just said it. It’s super realism timbre and great surprising-clarity, but not detail from some treble boost, just detail from resolution.

It’s just so listenable and correct sounding? Definitely the wildest thing to happen to me in audio this year. 44.1-24bit tracks are another level. It’s like what has been written a post or two back. This software needs a place to go, either with files or equipment; it then goes there.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #32,819 of 45,723
Yes, just switched to DMP-1Z 1.02......and I don’t think the 1A can get any better? Authority in spades along with a giant soundstage with more detail than ever. Really detail in places which far surpasses the 1Z with 3.02? It’s scary good? Unbelievable really.

Wait for me to say the classic, listening to old songs and hearing new things. There...... just said it. It’s super realism timbre and great surprising-clarity, but not detail from some treble boost, just detail from resolution.

It’s just so listenable and correct sounding? Definitely the wildest thing to happen to me in audio this year. 44.1-24bit tracks are another level. It’s like what has been written a post or two back. This software needs a place to go, either with files or equipment; it then goes there.
are u affected by "group wisdom" or simply convinced by what u are hearing?
The more you listen, the more you will discover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back