SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #32,642 of 45,723
I would say Ultimate 1.0.2 will be your best bet. But as it is more aggressive than DMP 1.0.2, you should try the DMP first and see how you like it
there is a problem while i try to install it , you know how it is ?
1582803651750.png

Feb 27, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #32,644 of 45,723
there is a problem while i try to install it , you know how it is ?
Few Walkman may see this problem, and it has something to do with the player “region codes”. @siruspan had the problem before, and he got it solved. You need to PM @Morbideath as he said.
I will show an easier way to tell Region codes

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #32,646 of 45,723
Few Walkman may see this problem, and it has something to do with the player “region codes”. @siruspan had the problem before, and he got it solved. You need to PM @Morbideath as he said.
I will show an easier way to tell Region codes
I installed DMP 1.02, it works well but dose not the same with ultimate 1.02.

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #32,649 of 45,723
D1.02, U1.02, Wm2Z
I've been trying these 3 mods, using the song Flesh and Blood, by Steve Straus, Very Audiophile New Recordings to compare.
- I like WM2Z, for this kind of vocal and fine background detail music. The main vocal keeps the centre stage, and the backup vocals come through balanced and detailed, and does not intrude on the main vocal.
- D1.02 the backup vocals are emphasized unnaturally, and intrude on the main vocal, instead of complementing it.
- U1.02 is overall good, but for this song, it does not sound right. The song does not come together as a whole.

I hasten to add that each one by itself can be fine, and it is going to come down to system, source, and what each user is listening for. My observation is just one aspect, listening to certain things. It is not going to be possible to have a simple list of which one is best. Of course this was always the case, as even with only the stock FW, some preferred one, and some preferred others. These extra FW mods have just made the choice much wider, and I expect that each user will have to do some work to figure out which they personally like.
The user experiences on this forum are great to give an idea of the strengths of the different firmwares, but as each users configuration and personal preferences are different, each user will have to try for themselves and see which one suits their preferences, as there is not one FW that will be the best for all types of music.
(There will be no "One Ring to Rule them All", like in Lord of the Rings.)

A ranking for different types of music would be useful...

Edit: My setup is a WM1Z with a Romi Audio, HK mod V4 (Black Gate), which is a pretty extensive mod. WM1Z set to Direct Source. The IEM used is the Sony IER-Z1R with stock 4.4mm cable.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #32,650 of 45,723
Feb 27, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #32,651 of 45,723
D1.02, U1.02, Wm2Z
I've been trying these 3 mods, using the song Flesh and Blood, by Steve Straus, Very Audiophile New Recordings to compare.
- I like WM2Z, for this kind of vocal and fine background detail music. The main vocal keeps the centre stage, and the backup vocals come through balanced and detailed, and does not intrude on the main vocal.
- D1.02 the backup vocals are emphasized unnaturally, and intrude on the main vocal, instead of complementing it.
- U1.02 is overall good, but for this song, it does not sound right. The song does not come together not coming together as a whole.

I hasten to add that each one by itself can be fine, and it is going to come down to system, source, and what each user is listening for. My observation is just one aspect, listening to certain things. It is not going to be possible to have a simple list of which one is best. Of course this was always the case, as even with only the stock FW, some preferred one, and some preferred others. These extra FW mods have just made the choice much wider, and I expect that each user will have to do some work to figure out which they personally like.
The user experiences on this forum are great to give an idea of the strengths of the different firmwares, but as each users configuration and personal preferences are different, each user will have to try for themselves and see which one suits their preferences, as there is not one FW that will be the best for all types of music.

A ranking for different types of music would be useful...

Very informative and useful! could u also tell us what hardware setups are u using to reach the conclusion?

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #32,652 of 45,723
Just installed DMP-Z1 1.02 fw on my stock 1Z. Listening with the Solaris SE's. It sounds quite similar to the actual DMP-Z1. Very impressed. The increased soundstage is amazing!

Upon further listening and switching over to my beloved IER-Z1R's, I'm finding the bass impact to be a little lacking for my taste on DMP1.02 fw.

However I can see why the broader soundstage and more open sound would appeal to some peoples preferences. The resemblance to an actual DMP-Z1 is pretty amazing but I think the actual DMP-Z1 still sounds better, especially with bass. To me the DMP-Z1 pulls off the wide open sound without any bass impact sacrifices, so it comes across a lot more natural.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble installing any other fw at the moment, so I'll have to go back to stock for now but I'll try again this weekend and report back :)

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #32,654 of 45,723
Upon further listening and switching over to my beloved IER-Z1R's, I'm finding the bass impact to be a little lacking for my taste on DMP1.02 fw.

However I can see why the broader soundstage and more open sound would appeal to some peoples preferences. The resemblance to an actual DMP-Z1 is pretty amazing but I think the actual DMP-Z1 still sounds better, especially with bass. To me the DMP-Z1 pulls off the wide open sound without any bass impact sacrifices, so it comes across a lot more natural.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble installing any other fw at the moment, so I'll have to go back to stock for now but I'll try again this weekend and report back :)
Agreed, now go try out Ultimate 1.0.2 and you will hear the improvements

Ofcourse the technicalities of DMP is superior, but to be able to utilize the DSP from DMP on Walkman is an amazing feature

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #32,655 of 45,723
The differences are very noticeable and obviously it's not like you get a completely new device but such changes help to obtain best synergy with the headphones. These mods give more flavours to the sony players and they are free, take only a minute to install and are reversable. Usually you need to spend couple of hundred of dollars for a new cable for less noticable changes. Even if I end up going back to stock I think to have the options is amazing. I can't thank enough @Morbideath for giving us this possibilites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back