SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #32,116 of 45,723
WM-1A firmware 2.0 / Moondrop S8 16 ohm 122db

can here clicks as volume rises and lowers above 80 with little to no hiss

Yes, those little clicks, not pops.

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #32,119 of 45,723
Thought i would spend my morning catching up and some reading and letting a master at his craft give the ears something to be happy about. Amazing how even in 1959 people knew how to make a good recording

20200222_135039044_iOS.jpg

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #32,120 of 45,723
Thought i would spend my morning catching up and some reading and letting a master at his craft give the ears something to be happy about. Amazing how even in 1959 people knew how to make a good recording

20200222_135039044_iOS.jpg
People back in those ERA make even better recording and mixing than the modern folks

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #32,121 of 45,723
I am just getting so much more than I did before from my WM1A and CA Solaris.... it’s like a completely new listening experience.... I am using some custom ear tips from Custom Art...

The sound has really opened up and the isolation is very very good far better than any of the universal ear tips I have bought and used.... Spirals, Simbio, Comply, Spin fit... the list goes on and on... when I think how much money I spent tip rolling not just design but also size...

These custom tips cost me €75 euros and they were worth every penny.... the quality of the sound has been an immense improvement and what is so much more satisfying is how responsive the EQ is on the WM1A and how much the custom tips allow such a wonderful capture of the frequency changes....

I would strongly recommend if you haven’t already about looking into getting yourselves a pair... I’ve got no interest in them I am just sharing a great improvement I have the pleasure of listening to.... as I type I am listening to a track ‘Borstal Breakout’ (probably the greatest love song ever written..!) :) which I have listened to with numerous sources over the years and various gear but I have never heard it like I am hearing it now...!

The guys at Custom Art were fantastic and were so helpful.... the first custom plugs to arrive didn’t feel quite right in terms of seal and positioning... I had ordered them for my CA Solaris... so out of interest I tried them on a pair of CA Andromeda’s and they fitted perfectly. TheSolaris is much bigger than the Andromeda and heavier so I was able to work out that what was happening with the Solaris fitted in my ear was the weight was pulling on the tips slightly... just enough to reduce the isolation and overall sound... as I went from the Solaris to the Andromeda it became more apparent.... I am not sure if some guys who bought these tips for their Solaris might have noticed what I had purely by chance.... so Piotr the boss there at Custom Art was keen to redesign the custom tips to accommodate the changes necessary to support the Solaris and provide better isolation...

So a few weeks later I received a replacement pair which by the way I hadn’t asked for it was Piotr that offered...these plugs were much bigger (comparatively) and when I fitted them the change was very dramatic.... I can not over state it enough it was like night and day.... !! The plugs could only fit one way into my ear and the isolation was very very tight and sealed unlike anything else I have ever tried....

I am listening to my WM1A and having a whole new listening experience... I am astounded at the difference and the way I am hearing a very different sound from my iems and WM1A...

If you get a chance have a look for yourself for €75 you cannot go wrong...

I
0oXmBDl.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #32,124 of 45,723
I am just getting so much more than I did before from my WM1A and CA Solaris.... it’s like a completely new listening experience.... I am using some custom ear tips from Custom Art...

The sound has really opened up and the isolation is very very good far better than any of the universal ear tips I have bought and used.... Spirals, Simbio, Comply, Spin fit... the list goes on and on... when I think how much money I spent tip rolling not just design but also size...

These custom tips cost me €75 euros and they were worth every penny.... the quality of the sound has been an immense improvement and what is so much more satisfying is how responsive the EQ is on the WM1A and how much the custom tips allow such a wonderful capture of the frequency changes....

I would strongly recommend if you haven’t already about looking into getting yourselves a pair... I’ve got no interest in them I am just sharing a great improvement I have the pleasure of listening to.... as I type I am listening to a track ‘Borstal Breakout’ (probably the greatest love song ever written..!) :) which I have listened to with numerous sources over the years and various gear but I have never heard it like I am hearing it now...!

The guys at Custom Art were fantastic and were so helpful.... the first custom plugs to arrive didn’t feel quite right in terms of seal and positioning... I had ordered them for my CA Solaris... so out of interest I tried them on a pair of CA Andromeda’s and they fitted perfectly. TheSolaris is much bigger than the Andromeda and heavier so I was able to work out that what was happening with the Solaris fitted in my ear was the weight was pulling on the tips slightly... just enough to reduce the isolation and overall sound... as I went from the Solaris to the Andromeda it became more apparent.... I am not sure if some guys who bought these tips for their Solaris might have noticed what I had purely by chance.... so Piotr the boss there at Custom Art was keen to redesign the custom tips to accommodate the changes necessary to support the Solaris and provide better isolation...

So a few weeks later I received a replacement pair which by the way I hadn’t asked for it was Piotr that offered...these plugs were much bigger (comparatively) and when I fitted them the change was very dramatic.... I can not over state it enough it was like night and day.... !! The plugs could only fit one way into my ear and the isolation was very very tight and sealed unlike anything else I have ever tried....

I am listening to my WM1A and having a whole new listening experience... I am astounded at the difference and the way I am hearing a very different sound from my iems and WM1A...

I
0oXmBDl.jpg

I can echo that feeling since i had Custom Art eartips for both my Campfire Vega and Atlas in the past. Those tips bring the best outa the IEM, closing to custom earphones.
But after a year of use, the tips will get loose and i eventually lost one during a flight, so i ordered another pair. They came much tighter, but later after months of heavy use loosened up again. And i went for pure custom IEM path later…
Soundwise, they are hands down the best solution for universals, they simply grind the universal eartips to ashes. But the fit will vary through time.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #32,125 of 45,723

I
0oXmBDl.jpg

do you need to send in impressions, or does the warmth of you ear create the mould?

Feb 22, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #32,128 of 45,723
I'm demoing a WM1A right now

Do you use DSEE HX, DC Phase Linealizer and Vinly Processor features ? I couldn't find much difference between turning them on and off

I mainly use just a tad of EQ or nothing. I get better results from different cables. All those processes add to drain the battery and don’t make a giant difference in sound. They are all very subtle. Though you can learn to hear them better with time. Probably the firmware is the biggest change. You go to settings and then unit information. That page will show you the hours used and firmware. You really learn very little with a unit with low hours; just out of the box. Hopefully your demo unit has 200 hours on each plug your using?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #32,129 of 45,723
I mainly use just a tad of EQ or nothing. I get better results from different cables. All those processes add to drain the battery and don’t make a giant difference in sound. They are all very subtle. Though you can learn to hear them better with time. Probably the firmware is the biggest change. You go to settings and then unit information. That page will show you the hours used and firmware. You really learn very little with a unit with low hours; just out of the box. Hopefully your demo unit has 200 hours on each plug your using?

Yes it has 429 hours
Should Vinly Processor make the sound warmer by rolling of the highs ? I am not sure if I can feel that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back