SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #32,086 of 45,723
Only except that an interconnect cables like Horus is cheap, or 1960, they are all as cheap as 3 of them Equal an DMP-Z1. Let’s say

1/ Tube Amp + PowerCord
2/ TOTL DAC + PowerCord + USB Cord + Interconnect

Where is money to spare ? Certainly is more portable than Desktop that needs AC outlets

Actually I read that DMP-Z1's DAC is literally AK4997. This is Fiio M11 Pro's DAC and M15 has AK4999 xD
Yes yes it is much more than what DAC chip is being used. But still interesting :kissing:

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #32,088 of 45,723
Actually I read that DMP-Z1's DAC is literally AK4997. This is Fiio M11 Pro's DAC and M15 has AK4999 xD
Yes yes it is much more than what DAC chip is being used. But still interesting :kissing:
Go troll somewhere else bro, even SP2K can not hold the candles to DMP Z1

BTW, I would also pick DMP Z1 over Chord DAVE any given chances

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #32,090 of 45,723
Hello guys, new to the forum, hoping you could help me answer a pressing question, I love well build, quality things and I'm normally willing to pay the premium that that entails, that said, a quality build is just half the story for me, as I like to think of everything I buy as lasting forever (I know, I know...), at least knowing that when I part ways with something it's because I went after something better / newer and not because I was forced to. Now on to the question, I'm on the fence of buying a NW-WM1Z, just love the way it looks and the build, when the bettery is good no more, will I be able to use it plugged in at all times? Currently use a Sony TA-ZH1ES for my home rig and use iphone or PC as sources, would be using the 1Z if I get it. Also, have a pair of MDR-Z1R's, everyone talks about IER-Z1R but really cannot afford both, the DAP and IEM, is the pairing with the MDR's a good one?

Thanks!!

Also a low cost and unexpected use may be using your new 1Z as a source with the TA.

Add: Sony Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10
Add: AudioQuest Carbon USB cable

I was using the TA/1Z/MDR-Z1R setup today and it was amazing. Using the 1Z with the dock is a big improvement over the computer to the TA.

Also straight out of the box using the side connector should be a noticeable sound improvement over using USB from a computer.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #32,091 of 45,723
DMP-Z1 probably sound better than all without a doubt.
I just wanted to point out that it has an inferior DAC chip. Interesting decision by Sony

Dude stop it lol.

I could say the same I found my older wm1z which has s-master to sound superior then fiio m15.

How is that possible?

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #32,092 of 45,723
Thanks Whitigir, just what I was hoping to hear! I'll start saving for the IER as they seem to be well regarded by most if not all owners / reviewers, plus the portability and somewhat discreet nature of them helps a lot with a DAP, as it is, I was mocked in the office with my "lowly" HD-598s and Denon DAC setup, wearing something as big as the MDRs would not go unnoticed :-D, plus I don't like risking them getting damaged or something.

Cheers!!

IER-Z1R are sonically great altough because of their rather natural nature they are not the most resolving or detailed. When it comes to comfort I find them uncomfortable for long listening sessions. They are big, bulky, heavy and quite noticible in appearance compared to other iems.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #32,093 of 45,723
Dude stop it lol.

I could say the same I found my older wm1z which has s-master to sound superior then fiio m15.

How is that possible?

Fiio are always champions of specs on paper but this doesn't translates for the sound. I've reviewed the M11 and it sounds quite hard and technical. It lacks any kind of the warmth or subtlety. Also the screen, superb resolution with extreme PPI but with cold blueish tint.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #32,094 of 45,723
Did you burn down your house or what

You can order it here
Nahhh, nothing like that. I didn't realize how tightly the battery was glued to it's housing. I was trying to wedge it out and accidentally ruptured it.
Oh well, time for a new one anyways.
I am going to use 24 gauge solid copper to wire it. Should be easy enough.

And there is no way any portable DAP even touches the DMP-Z1.... Not happening for at least another 10 plus years, if ever.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #32,095 of 45,723
You don’t have to peel the battery off, it can be done by peeling the tape off. However, peeling the battery off need some heat applied to the copper chassis when the battery is out
C1AD8FCF-20E2-477E-9B8E-DC964D2A2365.jpeg

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #32,096 of 45,723
Also a low cost and unexpected use may be using your new 1Z as a source with the TA.

Add: Sony Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10
Add: AudioQuest Carbon USB cable

I was using the TA/1Z/MDR-Z1R setup today and it was amazing. Using the 1Z with the dock is a big improvement over the computer to the TA.

Also straight out of the box using the side connector should be a noticeable sound improvement over using USB from a computer.
Thanks for the suggestion, chances are the 1Z will be splitting duties 50/50 between on the go and transport for speakers / headphones at home via TA

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #32,097 of 45,723
IER-Z1R are sonically great altough because of their rather natural nature they are not the most resolving or detailed. When it comes to comfort I find them uncomfortable for long listening sessions. They are big, bulky, heavy and quite noticible in appearance compared to other iems.
Thanks for the input, fit is a concern of mine because it can be heavily dependent on ear shape and size, this is the more true of IEMs than full size headphones, don't know of a place nearby I could try them on nor if I would want to (IEMs going inside the ear and all... you know)

Feb 21, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #32,099 of 45,723
Thanks for the suggestion, chances are the 1Z will be splitting duties 50/50 between on the go and transport for speakers / headphones at home via TA
I have the TA/1Z/MDR-Z1R with the Sony Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10 and AudioQuest Carbon USB cable. I also have the AXIOS Cu balanced for the MDR-Z1R for my home listening. The only thing I would do as a possible upgrade is to find a good pure silver cable. Maybe the DHC Complement4 Silver.

I then I use the 1Z with Campfire Solaris SE, ADV Custom tips and DHC Clone Silver balanced for traveling on the airplane or hotel.

Feb 21, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #32,100 of 45,723
I have the TA/1Z/MDR-Z1R with the Sony Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10 and AudioQuest Carbon USB cable. I also have the AXIOS Cu balanced for the MDR-Z1R for my home listening. The only thing I would do as a possible upgrade is to find a good pure silver cable. Maybe the DHC Complement4 Silver.

I then I use the 1Z with Campfire Solaris SE, ADV Custom tips and DHC Clone Silver balanced for traveling on the airplane or hotel.
Does the cradle beat using the dedicated Walkman connection on the TA-ZH1ES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back