SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #32,071 of 45,723
sony 1z.jpg

Feb 21, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #32,073 of 45,723
Beautiful picture of the joint, enjoy it !!, I enjoy the same pair in the WM1A version

It’s the best thing I’ve heard since 3.02 firmware came along. I’m grateful always......strangely attached?

Feb 21, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #32,074 of 45,723
The DMP-Z1 definitely is the better sounding player overall, but it doesn’t pair well with sensitive IEM’s compared to the 1Z. For example the Andromeda’s sound much better on the 1Z compared to the DMP, which I’m guessing is due to the output impedance.

@Vitaly2017 are the tia trios sensitive?

I dont know if u meen by how much hiss it can detect or by the ohm?

No trio dont catch hiss yes they are low ohm impedance 5.5 ohm

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #32,078 of 45,723
Haha 1 crazzy song any onne wana try :)

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #32,079 of 45,723
Hello guys, new to the forum, hoping you could help me answer a pressing question, I love well build, quality things and I'm normally willing to pay the premium that that entails, that said, a quality build is just half the story for me, as I like to think of everything I buy as lasting forever (I know, I know...), at least knowing that when I part ways with something it's because I went after something better / newer and not because I was forced to. Now on to the question, I'm on the fence of buying a NW-WM1Z, just love the way it looks and the build, when the bettery is good no more, will I be able to use it plugged in at all times? Currently use a Sony TA-ZH1ES for my home rig and use iphone or PC as sources, would be using the 1Z if I get it. Also, have a pair of MDR-Z1R's, everyone talks about IER-Z1R but really cannot afford both, the DAP and IEM, is the pairing with the MDR's a good one?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #32,080 of 45,723
Battery on WM1A/Z ain’t going anywhere for at least 5 years.

It is easily replaced

You can use it plugged in even with a very bad battery. The soundstage on MDR won’t be matched by IER-Z1R. But the balances overall is nicer on IER-Z1R, especially the bass region. The IER is also portable that you can take anywhere.

2 different categories, fullsize is always better than in ears, but the IER-Z1R can get very close to competing with full sizes, and certainly can be said to be better than MDR-Z1R. That is due to the practicality, portability, the better balances overall at some sacrificial of Soundstage. I would also say that the dynamic and it punches are always better controlled with fullsizes. But the nice thing about IER-Z1R is that the Housing were made in a way that you can “feel the punches and impacts” with your Ear canals.....I don’t know how Sony pull that off, but that is pretty crazy. One of the reason I see is the dense filters, the impacts and vibrations Feel a little less, but I am glad to trade that off for some more clarity, details and sparkles.....also nice to have mid to be bumped up a little and bass to be toned down a little.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #32,081 of 45,723
Battery on WM1A/Z ain’t going anywhere for at least 5 years.

It is easily replaced

You can use it plugged in even with a very bad battery. The soundstage on MDR won’t be matched by IER-Z1R. But the balances overall is nicer on IER-Z1R, especially the bass region. The IER is also portable that you can take anywhere.

2 different categories, fullsize is always better than in ears, but the IER-Z1R can get very close to competing with full sizes, and certainly can be said to be better than MDR-Z1R. That is due to the practicality, portability, the better balances overall at some sacrificial of Soundstage. I would also say that the dynamic and it punches are always better controlled with fullsizes. But the nice thing about IER-Z1R is that the Housing were made in a way that you can “feel the punches and impacts” with your Ear canals.....I don’t know how Sony pull that off, but that is pretty crazy. One of the reason I see is the dense filters, the impacts and vibrations Feel a little less, but I am glad to trade that off for some more clarity, details and sparkles.....also nice to have mid to be bumped up a little and bass to be toned down a little.

Thanks Whitigir, just what I was hoping to hear! I'll start saving for the IER as they seem to be well regarded by most if not all owners / reviewers, plus the portability and somewhat discreet nature of them helps a lot with a DAP, as it is, I was mocked in the office with my "lowly" HD-598s and Denon DAC setup, wearing something as big as the MDRs would not go unnoticed :-D, plus I don't like risking them getting damaged or something.

Cheers!!

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #32,082 of 45,723
Thanks Whitigir, just what I was hoping to hear! I'll start saving for the IER as they seem to be well regarded by most if not all owners / reviewers, plus the portability and somewhat discreet nature of them helps a lot with a DAP, as it is, I was mocked in the office with my "lowly" HD-598s and Denon DAC setup, wearing something as big as the MDRs would not go unnoticed :-D, plus I don't like risking them getting damaged or something.

Cheers!!
I would buy a Darth Vader helmet and wear HD820 all day long....toss in a cape and you are set

I am just kidding, and yes....that is exactly why I am here ier-Z1R and Walkman . If it wasn’t ier-Z1R, I would suffer during the day and settles during the night at home with my Stax lol

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #32,084 of 45,723
What is the idea of the DMP-Z1 ?

It costs $8500 and it isn't portable. With a budget of $8.5k I think it is possible build better systems (TOTL tube amplifier + TOTL DAC + money to spare)
Only except that an interconnect cables like Horus is cheap, or 1960, they are all as cheap as 3 of them Equal an DMP-Z1. Let’s say

1/ Tube Amp + PowerCord
2/ TOTL DAC + PowerCord + USB Cord + Interconnect

Where is money to spare ? Certainly is more portable than Desktop that needs AC outlets

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back