SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #31,216 of 45,723
Hi, I am seeking your opinion if worth to upgrade WM1A to 1Z ?

My sound preference is neutral to slight warm, detailed, i.e. clarity to distinguish music instruments type, distance and placing.

If you were to walk into a store and try the 1Z, you may be underwhelmed? It’s a subtle difference but it’s absolutely there. The thing is as they need 200 hours of burn in; if you purchased a new 1Z, it would need that burn in before it even started to sound normal. But being alone with a 1Z for a day they start to somehow show more of what they are? After you learn to “see” and concentrate on the differences.........they become more there. Somehow it’s hard to quantify the amount of difference? If it’s meaningful it’s 100% different?

But the sound is thicker. It’s more front to back and side to side, where the 1A is just stereo? So with this physicality there is a slight realism. It’s more lifelike? The treble tilt makes IEMs more detailed...... and that detail is natural, though noticeable because of the boost; inside of that boost in treble there is a delineation of treble elements, thus detail. Maybe at one time; depending on the combo the 1Z could have been questionable as far as being liked due to the extra bass? But now due to the wide selection of firmware you can dial your sound without using EQ. More mids, use 3.02. More bass, use 3.01. So it’s a win-win. If it’s worth the extra money is totally subjective? But I absolutely now use my 1Z the most.

Funny you'd say distance and pacing as that’s what happens when you add the extra imaging in the soundstage; the elements are expanded with clarification. But maybe this quality was not always achievable with some IEMs before, as the 1Z used to have less detail in the low end which subdued the pace. Now with 3.02 the pace is fast even with more dynamic low end IEMs like the IER-Z1R.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #31,217 of 45,723
If you were to walk into a store and try the 1Z, you may be underwhelmed? It’s a subtle difference but it’s absolutely there. The thing is as they need 200 hours of burn in; if you purchased a new 1Z, it would need that burn in before it even started to sound normal. But being alone with a 1Z for a day they start to somehow show more of what they are? After you learn to “see” and concentrate on the differences.........they become more there. Somehow it’s hard to quantify the amount of difference? If it’s meaningful it’s 100% different?

But the sound is thicker. It’s more front to back and side to side, where the 1A is just stereo? So with this physicality there is a slight realism. It’s more lifelike? The treble tilt makes IEMs more detailed...... and that detail is natural, though noticeable because of the boost; inside of that boost in treble there is a delineation of treble elements, thus detail. Maybe at one time; depending on the combo the 1Z could have been questionable as far as being liked due to the extra bass? But now due to the wide selection of firmware you can dial your sound without using EQ. More mids, use 3.02. More bass, use 3.01. So it’s a win-win. If it’s worth the extra money is totally subjective? But I absolutely now use my 1Z the most.

Funny you'd say distance and pacing as that’s what happens when you add the extra imaging in the soundstage; the elements are expanded with clarification. But maybe this quality was not always achievable with some IEMs before, as the 1Z used to have less detail in the low end which subdued the pace. Now with 3.02 the pace is fast even with more dynamic low end IEMs like the IER-Z1R.

Thanks for your good sharing. I don't like extra bass, if i have 1Z, definitely would go for 3.0.2 . I don't have IER-Z1R, what about Andromeda pairing with WM1Z and 1A ? I can hear very good detailed imaging with WM1A/Andromeda combo and I am quite happy with this combo, just curious any extra 'improvement' on 1Z.

Perhaps I should make a trip to audition demo unit WM1Z (hopefully >200 hours burn-in) with my WM1A on Sony sample songs with my current IEMs.

Jan 16, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #31,218 of 45,723
I have been listening to the WM1A with my Solaris and a rotation of cables all silver except the Linum which for me is the best SE cable I have heard...imho anyway..

I really enjoyed the Solaris and the WM1A and I was sure I wouldn’t hear anything better but I have just been listening to the Andromeda with the smokey and the same tips (custom made) and I am very surprised by the difference... the sound is completely different much brighter and also better detail (Flac & DSD) and separation not as big soundstage but not far off... the vocals and instruments are really standing apart... they did on the Solaris but it’s much greater on the Andromeda’s... I am really very surprised... I am not sure which I would to keep if I was having to decide...

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #31,219 of 45,723
Thanks for your good sharing. I don't like extra bass, if i have 1Z, definitely would go for 3.0.2 . I don't have IER-Z1R, what about Andromeda pairing with WM1Z and 1A ? I can hear very good detailed imaging with WM1A/Andromeda combo and I am quite happy with this combo, just curious any extra 'improvement' on 1Z.

Perhaps I should make a trip to audition demo unit WM1Z (hopefully >200 hours burn-in) with my WM1A on Sony sample songs with my current IEMs.
Andromeda is an IEM I’ve never heard. And in a way... I’m not sure I’m even the best at getting an objective review of comparison between the 1A and 1Z. Though I can kind of describe what benefits take place with the 1Z. Also you may just be perfectly happy with the Sony 1Z and 3.01 update with the Andromeda? With balanced armatures you maybe need the bass heft which the 1Z brings to the table. Not always........but mainly balanced armatures tend to have a sooner bass roll-off, tend not to have presence way down low and have a faster bass decay, in contrast to DD IEMs or Hybrids. All those things get a remedy with the 1Z bass response, even with 3.01. Also you’ll notice the increase in authority with the all balanced armatures you own. That authority gets noticed too in the midrange, where stuff is simply more close and more analogue. While the 1A is warm, it safe to say the 1Z is warmer and that quality seems to always be a needed benefit to all balanced armatures......in my humble experience.

Not to be too critical but any slight digital sound that I find in the 1A is somehow removed with the 1Z......but I’m at a loss for words, I don’t know how to describe that exact phenomena? My BGVP DM6 is more clear warm and musical, the XBA-Z5 is simply better with both 3.01 and 3.02 with the 1Z. Where the only way to really use the 1A and XBA-Z5 together is 3.02? The Noble Encore (10 BA) which is maybe like the Andromeda is my favorite along with the IER-Z1R with the 1Z. I used to switch the 1Z to 3.01 for the Encore and switch back to 3.02 for the IER-Z1R but now even with a new brighter cable I use the 1Z with 3.02 firmware update with both Encore and IER-Z1R almost daily?

So it’s an improvement across the board. Though even with your stance on excessive bass.......you may still choose 3.01 with the 1Z and Andromeda combination. But it’s just one of those things you have to listen to and all the opinions and reading are never going to replace a demo.

Cheers!

Edit: I assume your using 4.4mm balanced as that’s the best way to go with the 1Z, but I need to mention my other balanced armature Fearless S6Rui and the Magaosi K5..... 5 balanced armature IEMs are also a good improvement with the 1Z over the 1A. The only time the 1A was superior was before 3.02 came out the 1Z was just slightly bass heavy with the IER-Z1R.....so the 1A maybe was better......but since the invention of 3.02 the 1Z has now been better across the board...in my opinion.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #31,220 of 45,723
New WM1A?

Sorry! The Audio-Technica ATH-WP900.

ath_wp900_01@2x.jpg

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #31,221 of 45,723
Edit: I assume your using 4.4mm balanced as that’s the best way to go with the 1Z, but I need to mention my other balanced armature Fearless S6Rui and the Magaosi K5..... 5 balanced armature IEMs are also a good improvement with the 1Z over the 1A. The only time the 1A was superior was before 3.02 came out the 1Z was just slightly bass heavy with the IER-Z1R.....so the 1A maybe was better......but since the invention of 3.02 the 1Z has now been better across the board...in my opinion.

Good luck!

Thanks for your detailed comparison various type of IEM. Yes I am using balanced 4.4mm , I have DM6 too, getting clear what you mean now.

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #31,223 of 45,723
Thanks for your detailed comparison various type of IEM. Yes I am using balanced 4.4mm , I have DM6 too, getting clear what you mean now.

At the cost of nearly 3X you would hope there would be an improvement. Generally the same upgrade in fullness of sound (as with everything) ......the 1Z gives more body to the DM6 making it seem more clear. Maybe the clearness is better imaging inside the DM6 soundstage? It’s simply more engaging. The DM6 is also fairly bright (there is some small treble bump there) so you would think a brighter DAP would maybe be bad, but the added V personality on both ends helps the DM6 become “more”. The 1A is by far the best value. I think that’s the hard part as there is no way the 1Z is 3X better. But your stuck as your not going to find these improvements any other way. I also found that the Sony/Kimber aftermarket cable was a nice included factor with the DM6. You don’t want any cable personality to take the 1Z treble and DM6 treble and enhance it farther. The 1Z brightness isn’t really the right word, it’s like a treble detail and extension. It would be like having more tweeters on a set of speakers so there is more information, and yes the treble is more intense but it’s not a bad, too much intense. It’s just more spread out and fuller in the soundstage. The treble kind of follows that whole more forward, more back more side to side character. Which means the treble is more close and father and has size so it’s bigger in shape. It’s slightly more physical, so it’s more real life. Cymbals are more real and less flat.

In ending, I almost don’t want to say it, but the 1Z is less digital sounding and more organic and natural than the 1A. Still I don’t want that to take away from the the same organic and natural properties the 1A still has. It’s just way more in that direction.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #31,224 of 45,723
will the new zx500 walkman sound better than 1A? anyone knows or have compared them? wish sony give us some cassete UI..!! option why sony?... why cant you love customers more! I figure it could be on par with zx300
i can confirm zx500 not anywhere near wm1a 4.4 quality. There ur answer haha.
But the new port and design on zx500 looks attractive

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #31,225 of 45,723
hi folks, is there any news on update 3.03

hope it can fix the usb dac sync with video

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #31,226 of 45,723
Hi, I am seeking your opinion if worth to upgrade WM1A to 1Z ?

My sound preference is neutral to slight warm, detailed, i.e. clarity to distinguish music instruments type, distance and placing.
i'm in similar position as u, just with suggestion & recommendation, all my friends who owned both prefer dx200/dx220 + amp8 sonically speaking when comparing with wm1z. (which nearly 2.5x the price)
i will stay for the time being until sony release successor of 1a. Need long battery life and i play music file from local file only.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #31,228 of 45,723
hi folks, is there any news on update 3.03

hope it can fix the usb dac sync with video

There are two work-arounds. One is movie playback software that lets you move the audio sync-point forward or backwards. I just go Bluetooth and it’s fine.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #31,229 of 45,723
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back