SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #26,656 of 45,723
actually 24 bit FLAC is a no go, but 16 bit works

Do you mean that the Sony can’t be used as usb dac to play 24 bit flac ???

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #26,657 of 45,723
Do you mean that the Sony can’t be used as usb dac to play 24 bit flac ???
He answered to my question

Could Wm1A/Z be used as External DAC that handle DSD256 ? The answer was yes

What could it handle up to ? Native DSD256, and some Upsampled 16 bits into DSD256 and easy filter. It could not handle 24 bits into DSD256 live conversion feeding from a PC

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #26,658 of 45,723
These questions were in place because there is “digital interface”, and by using USB, we are using a chip that is called DSP for DDC (Digital to Digital Conversion)

There is a chip inside the PC whether it is PCI-e integrated chip set, or dedicated USB Audio card.

Then there is another chip inside the Portable Player. Sony is using their own DSP chip, while many other manufacturers are using Xmos, or Chord is using FPGA...etc....

These chips are just as important as your DAC-IC, or DAC circuitry of S-Master. Many of us are only being advertised by the marketing of toward amplifiers section, and DAC sections, but never about the DSP chip.

Now, these DSP chips can be many thing : Low power consumption, Low processing speed, Higher noise floor, lower noise floor ? Etc...etc...

They can directly affect our end result (sound quality) One of the way to see if the chip is highly processing in speed is to toss some heavy DSD Native files at it. If it can not handle it, it will not go, or would be glitchy.

Anyways, ESS and AKM as audio dedicated IC manufacturers are now seriously producing these DDC chips, 1 is being used in Lotoo Paw Gold Touch (AKM), and ESS brand is being used by Gustard U16....I can’t pull off the series model number atm. ES8620* and AK4137*

But then again, WM series were made for PCM processing, and DSD is enable only at balanced out. The last time I checked in, WM series didn’t handle DSD sound quality that well.....yes, it is the DSP chip as one of the reason.

Anyways, forget it, I got many confirmations from this :). I am just a curious cat, but not a hoarder to save up gears that I am not using lol

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #26,660 of 45,723
I tried the Sennheiser hd800s and hd820 both with pentaconn

I just felt the hd800 original silver model was a bit more. Magical sounding more spewker like than the S version. The 820 found it r a bit. More magical than the s but not that too different than the Z1R, and yeah both S and 820 require high gain on 4.4.

Also tried an ak380Cu not my liking in sound sig too bassy my Z1R's rattled a thing they've never done, the 820 alsi sounded bloated on t he AK ugh and the dude wow nice DSD album (striggio mass for 40 and 60 voices with Herve Niquet and le concert spirituel), but as soon i demoed him a CD he said eine CD????? Das klingt schlecht alles bis zum 20 KHz begrenzt, hab alles mit CD versucht und sie klingen sehr schlecht. Dann ich, aber ich habe sehr gute klingende CDs. Er, nein es kqnn nicht sein! CD wird nie gut klingen.

English a CD??? They sound bad, all likitwd to 20 KHz, I've tried d it all with CDs and still sound bad, me, but i have very good sounding CDs, he, no that cannot be, CD will never sound good.

Any ways had to go to the Standesamt to register my marriage date, 31st Januar

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #26,661 of 45,723
Can i use my WM1A as a Bluetooth hands free for receuvung calls,? e. G. To hear better, phone volume and audio quality not good Xperia xa

Tried the ringer but it also couldn't mes from cellphone speakers and from my Z1R's connected to my WM1A

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #26,662 of 45,723
Can i use my WM1A as a Bluetooth hands free for receuvung calls,? e. G. To hear better, phone volume and audio quality not good Xperia xa

Tried the ringer but it also couldn't mes from cellphone speakers and from my Z1R's connected to my WM1A

Not really, you would need a microphone for speaking to someone. In theory, you could hear what the other person is saying (if the WM1A is connected via BT to you phone), but they won't be able to hear you.

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #26,663 of 45,723
Not really, you would need a microphone for speaking to someone. In theory, you could hear what the other person is saying (if the WM1A is connected via BT to you phone), but they won't be able to hear you.
Thanks so then i will connect my Z1R's woth the 3.5mm cable to the Xperia

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #26,664 of 45,723
in the name of frugality aka if you have the correct unlimited plan with Verizon (US for sure) you can get a free sub to apple music. there is only one problem I see. I cannot get Apple Music to play through the WM-1A in USB DAC mode.

Tidal no problem, YouTube no problem, Plex no problem, Apple Music NO MUSIC!!!

Apple what gives? or have I missed something obvious that will leave me red faced?

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #26,665 of 45,723
in the name of frugality aka if you have the correct unlimited plan with Verizon (US for sure) you can get a free sub to apple music. there is only one problem I see. I cannot get Apple Music to play through the WM-1A in USB DAC mode.

Tidal no problem, YouTube no problem, Plex no problem, Apple Music NO MUSIC!!!

Apple what gives? or have I missed something obvious that will leave me red faced?
What about BT DAC? or check apple music config.
I hqve a similar problem with windows Microsoft edge no sound and crashes with bsod

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #26,666 of 45,723
What about BT DAC? or check apple music config.
I hqve a similar problem with windows Microsoft edge no sound and crashes with bsod

to be honest I may keep the wife and kids on apple music (doesn't stand up to good gear like Tidal does) and once Quobuz make it to the US (if ever) I'll try them.

It took all of 30 minutes listening to realize that Apple Music isn't Hi-Res by any standard. all the files I see are 44.1kHz, but at 256 kbps (a shade finer than Napster from 1999) and sound that way to my old ears.

the only thing positive to say is it is free with my existing cell plan, but I wouldn't recommend it to all you hard core Hi Res listeners (unless you can get the same deal)

and for educational purposes I listened through the lightning port(Cipher cable not dongle) of my iPhoneX with a set of iSine 20 using as close a match to the song file as possible on each service

and to answer your question.. the WM-1A shows up in airplay and all other apps including o/s sounds are audible. just not apple music. I am dropping the standard EQ to flat on the Cipher cable and gonna spend the rest of the morning doing some more listening.

who knows I will probably end up placebo effecting myself into think Apple Music is fantastic (although I hear way too many hi frequency artifacts and time smearing to really believe that will happen)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #26,668 of 45,723
Another 512 GB Micro SD card from Lexar. Don't know if this one gives "real" 512 GB or just 500 GB but it only $130 if you don't mind paying for shipping and waiting until stock arrives:

https://www.adorama.com/ilxhpuhsi512.html

I am going with this because at this price, I don't care if I get only 500 GB and also the write speed is U3 and it also has the new A2 interface that is much faster read/write times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back