SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #25,171 of 45,723
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #25,172 of 45,723
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #25,181 of 45,723
Thinking about selling the beloved wm1z, almost at 100hrs. Just involved in other hobbies at the moment .. But Im afraid I'll regret it!

I'll be saving up for quite some time.

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #25,183 of 45,723
Sony UK website has had a big purge of quality audio equipment. The TA and Z1R are gone, as are both the 1Z and 1A. Looks like the 70th anniversary signature series has been discontinued...Also see that the HAP-Z1ES server/player has gone.

Sony's audio division is a mess. The most expensive things they now offer are a bizarre £8000 desktop DAP, a £2000 IEM, a £1300 car stereo head unit and a £550 AV receiver. No coherent strategy for customers to buy into. Someone should be fired IMO.

Why can't they put out a line of decent hifi separates like the other big Japanese corporations? With their FPGA DAC technology they could produce some great streamers or amps with built-in DACs. I would've loved to have bought an SACD player which used the DAC from the 1A or TA amp. Missed opportunities.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #25,184 of 45,723
Sony UK website has had a big purge of quality audio equipment. The TA and Z1R are gone, as are both the 1Z and 1A. Looks like the 70th anniversary signature series has been discontinued...Also see that the HAP-Z1ES server/player has gone.

Sony's audio division is a mess. The most expensive things they now offer are a bizarre £8000 desktop DAP, a £2000 IEM, a £1300 car stereo head unit and a £550 AV receiver. No coherent strategy for customers to buy into. Someone should be fired IMO.

Why can't they put out a line of decent hifi separates like the other big Japanese corporations? With their FPGA DAC technology they could produce some great streamers or amps with built-in DACs. I would've loved to have bought an SACD player which used the DAC from the 1A or TA amp. Missed opportunities.

I completely agreed. The confusion is the reason I am nervous about buying the 1A at this point - if it is indeed discontinued I would rather wait and see if there is a replacement model. It doesn't help that Amazon, being one of the only UK retailer of the Signature Walkmans, just bumped up the price of the 1A by £90 literally on the day when I was going to put in the order. I'm waiting now to see if the price will come back down.

In recent years the other big Japanese electronic companies are all returning to the high end market - Yamaha in particular just announced the 5000 series hifi series, a pre-amp and power amp priced at £6700 each plus a £4600 tuntable, to go with their £15000 NS-5000 speakers from a few years back. Last year I picked up their A-S3000 integrated amp for a very good price, and it is an amazing piece of kit - the headphone output in this amp is actually just as good as my Benchmark DAC1.

I will love to see Sony excel in the high end market again, like their glory days not long ago. Check out some of their TOTL gears back in the 90's - http://www.thevintageknob.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back