SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #23,836 of 45,723
A question to all of you who long to buy the 1Z. Are you sure that the upgrade is worth all the money as long as you didn't quite fully explore the upscale range of IEMs? Many of you own the Sony proprietary IEM and while in no way I would like to play down this option, there might be some alternatives out there (more expensive, though), that may bring sonic upgrades (and possibly quite significant ones). I, for one, have learned that you have to try to extract as much value as you can from a given setup before thinking of changing things altogether.

Personally, I use the U18t from 64audio and without auditioning the 1Z, I wonder how much can you increase the sound quality beyond what I am already hearing...
I've the 64audio a18 and I had unmodded wm1a, premium plus k-mod wm1a and i upgraded to k-mod wm1z.

I certainly prefer the sound signature in the modded wm1z.

The unmodded and modded wm1a were good too. I would still say the sound quality is noticeably better despite my sound signature preference

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #23,837 of 45,723
Absolutely love everything to do with lord of the rings. That soundtrack is supurb

I have the movie in Blu-ray extended. I totally agree, the soundtrack is awesome. And that is coming from a dedicated Metalhead... starting to Branch out into some different genres just to try and see if I like other stuff and I'm finding stuff that's good like Sublime.

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #23,839 of 45,723
A question to all of you who long to buy the 1Z. Are you sure that the upgrade is worth all the money as long as you didn't quite fully explore the upscale range of IEMs? Many of you own the Sony proprietary IEM and while in no way I would like to play down this option, there might be some alternatives out there (more expensive, though), that may bring sonic upgrades (and possibly quite significant ones). I, for one, have learned that you have to try to extract as much value as you can from a given setup before thinking of changing things altogether.

Personally, I use the U18t from 64audio and without auditioning the 1Z, I wonder how much can you increase the sound quality beyond what I am already hearing...

Right, trying different IEMs IS going to make the most noticeable AND dramatic improvement in sound. And the 1Z is not a value to some. The 1A is the deal as you get 70% to 90% of the 1Z sound at a fraction of the cost. With some IEMs the 1A IS actually better. But it’s safe to say the 1Z IS a different animal. That difference is actually there, under it all. It’s more forward, it’s warmer, it’s closer in sound with a more detailed and upfront display. For those who dwell on the difference it’s like studying beauty; the difference becomes all encompassing and profound.

Also the 1Z can take some headphones and IEMs to a different place than the 1A. Some transducers simply respond to the 1Z character in a special way. It’s safe to say the 1Z has a V shape tone with more bass and more treble sparkle; but the soundstage is different too. Strangely if you went to a Sony store with your IEMs and 1A switching a memory card over to the 1Z and plugging your headphones in it may not seem so dramatic? But if you had both players for two weeks the differences become pretty big. Audio differences can be elusive that way.

Every IEM sounds different and every DAP is a different story. Finding your personal sound preference is probably the most important; as you could drop bank on the wrong sound signature and not have value. But using synergy, some IEMs are going to effortlessly get to your desired sound signature and some will be a deviation from it. It’s the perfect choice of DAP and IEMs which is going to hit the mark. Due to the diminishing returns, the TOTL IEMs are going to show the same loss of value to some as the TOTL DAPs. Gaining value or justification of value is totally subjective.

No TOTL headphone or IEM is really worth $2000 to $4000. All headphones should be no more than $900. IMO......But such things offer something you can’t buy any other way. Same as the 1Z, it’s not worth $3199...... but you can’t get it any other way. But to some the life experiences with the 1Z are priceless, no real way to put value on them.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #23,840 of 45,723
Right, trying different IEMs IS going to make the most noticeable AND dramatic improvement in sound. And the 1Z is not a value to some. The 1A is the deal as you get 70% to 90% of the 1Z sound at a fraction of the cost. With some IEMs the 1A IS actually better. But it’s safe to say the 1Z IS a different animal. That difference is actually there, under it all. It’s more forward, it’s warmer, it’s closer in sound with a more detailed and upfront display. For those who dwell on the difference it’s like studying beauty; the difference becomes all encompassing and profound.

Also the 1Z can take some headphones and IEMs to a different place than the 1A. Some transducers simply respond to the 1Z character in a special way. It’s safe to say the 1Z has a V shape tone with more bass and more treble sparkle; but the soundstage is different too. Strangely if you went to a Sony store with your IEMs and 1A switching a memory card over to the 1Z and plugging your headphones in it may not seem so dramatic? But if you had both players for two weeks the differences become pretty big. Audio differences can be elusive that way.

Every IEM sounds different and every DAP is a different story. Finding your personal sound preference is probably the most important; as you could drop bank on the wrong sound signature and not have value. But using synergy, some IEMs are going to effortlessly get to your desired sound signature and some will be a deviation from it. It’s the perfect choice of DAP and IEMs which is going to hit the mark. Due to the diminishing returns, the TOTL IEMs are going to show the same loss of value to some as the TOTL DAPs. Gaining value or justification of value is totally subjective.
But... But.... It's 100% better... Tho!

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #23,841 of 45,723
Sep 24, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #23,844 of 45,723
Thanks for clarifying haha I didn't know

Hmm. Did we both mean Kobiconn like on the Ray Samuels amps ?

E02914F9-6F66-4936-8699-C81C8250FA6D.jpeg

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #23,846 of 45,723
Update on my WM1z impressions. Finally got my PW Audio 8 wire Xerxes cable for my JH Laylas. Opted for the upgraded Furutech Rhodium 4.4mm plug too. That is a lot of change from my 4 wire Silver/Gold Plussound cable with 2.5mm plug. I can't honestly say what part(s) of the change did what to the sound from my previous impressions but when I A/B the cables the new PW Audio cable has a noticeable increase in sound stage width and even more separation and air in the treble without adding sharpness or glare. I get slightly less sub bass quantity with the PW so need to dial closer to 1 o'clock on the bass dials whereas the Plussound was fine at 12. However, I will need to get my ears adjusted because I am hearing more depth to sub bass with the PW, but just a touch less impact.

I am a full 4.4mm convert now and will no longer use the 2.5mm balanced products. I feel it is just a superior connecting in every way possible.

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #23,847 of 45,723
Update on my WM1z impressions. Finally got my PW Audio 8 wire Xerxes cable for my JH Laylas. Opted for the upgraded Furutech Rhodium 4.4mm plug too. That is a lot of change from my 4 wire Silver/Gold Plussound cable with 2.5mm plug. I can't honestly say what part(s) of the change did what to the sound from my previous impressions but when I A/B the cables the new PW Audio cable has a noticeable increase in sound stage width and even more separation and air in the treble without adding sharpness or glare. I get slightly less sub bass quantity with the PW so need to dial closer to 1 o'clock on the bass dials whereas the Plussound was fine at 12. However, I will need to get my ears adjusted because I am hearing more depth to sub bass with the PW, but just a touch less impact.

I am a full 4.4mm convert now and will no longer use the 2.5mm balanced products. I feel it is just a superior connecting in every way possible.

Yes, 4.4 is superior. An example of larger soundstage is due to the geometry and construction of the 8 wires braid, and that is only one of the many other reasons

Anyways, congratulation on the new cables, and now you will truly hear what WM Walkman can do

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #23,848 of 45,723
Yes, 4.4 is superior. An example of larger soundstage is due to the geometry and construction of the 8 wires braid, and that is only one of the many other reasons

Anyways, congratulation on the new cables, and now you will truly hear what WM Walkman can do

Thanks! When I was checking out cable options for 2.5mm, I honestly could not tell the difference between 4 and 8 wires for the JH Laylas.

Just a side note - you can use 4 wires for JH Siren series that require 8 separate signals. If you get litz wire, you can get some custom cable makers to create 2 sets of signals by separating the internal litz strands into 2 groups out of one litz wire. Wire must be litz since each internal strand is insulated. Also why litz is a major PITA to solder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back