SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #23,851 of 45,723
Right, trying different IEMs IS going to make the most noticeable AND dramatic improvement in sound. And the 1Z is not a value to some. The 1A is the deal as you get 70% to 90% of the 1Z sound at a fraction of the cost. With some IEMs the 1A IS actually better. But it’s safe to say the 1Z IS a different animal. That difference is actually there, under it all. It’s more forward, it’s warmer, it’s closer in sound with a more detailed and upfront display. For those who dwell on the difference it’s like studying beauty; the difference becomes all encompassing and profound.

Also the 1Z can take some headphones and IEMs to a different place than the 1A. Some transducers simply respond to the 1Z character in a special way. It’s safe to say the 1Z has a V shape tone with more bass and more treble sparkle; but the soundstage is different too. Strangely if you went to a Sony store with your IEMs and 1A switching a memory card over to the 1Z and plugging your headphones in it may not seem so dramatic? But if you had both players for two weeks the differences become pretty big. Audio differences can be elusive that way.

Every IEM sounds different and every DAP is a different story. Finding your personal sound preference is probably the most important; as you could drop bank on the wrong sound signature and not have value. But using synergy, some IEMs are going to effortlessly get to your desired sound signature and some will be a deviation from it. It’s the perfect choice of DAP and IEMs which is going to hit the mark. Due to the diminishing returns, the TOTL IEMs are going to show the same loss of value to some as the TOTL DAPs. Gaining value or justification of value is totally subjective.

No TOTL headphone or IEM is really worth $2000 to $4000. All headphones should be no more than $900. IMO......But such things offer something you can’t buy any other way. Same as the 1Z, it’s not worth $3199...... but you can’t get it any other way. But to some the life experiences with the 1Z are priceless, no real way to put value on them.

I think the 1A is just beautiful with Shure SRH1540 headphones on the balanced output.

Sep 25, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #23,852 of 45,723
Just wild!

When I had the 1a, I used the cheap akg iems that came with my note 8. Sound was fantastic and I loved it. Truly surprised how good the 20$ iems could sound .

My Zeus XR was getting work on and I couldn't use it . When they returned I plugged them in the 1a and sound was god aweful, Zeus started to sound like it cost 500$ and was just poor poor sound. Hated it. Sold 1a that week and haven't looked back
However oh boy, 1z really really takes it up 5 notches! Truly impressed.

1a made 20$ iems sound really really good, and I'm sure it makes other iems sound good too

Based on how cheap I am I would price the 1a at 399 retail the 1 z at 899, Zeus XR at 999, u18 at 1299,fourte at 899.

Not this inflated prices we payin (pain)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #23,853 of 45,723
Update on my WM1z impressions. Finally got my PW Audio 8 wire Xerxes cable for my JH Laylas. Opted for the upgraded Furutech Rhodium 4.4mm plug too. That is a lot of change from my 4 wire Silver/Gold Plussound cable with 2.5mm plug. I can't honestly say what part(s) of the change did what to the sound from my previous impressions but when I A/B the cables the new PW Audio cable has a noticeable increase in sound stage width and even more separation and air in the treble without adding sharpness or glare. I get slightly less sub bass quantity with the PW so need to dial closer to 1 o'clock on the bass dials whereas the Plussound was fine at 12. However, I will need to get my ears adjusted because I am hearing more depth to sub bass with the PW, but just a touch less impact.

I am a full 4.4mm convert now and will no longer use the 2.5mm balanced products. I feel it is just a superior connecting in every way possible.

Is that cable also referred to as the “Audio 8 wire Xerxes Vanquish”?

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #23,854 of 45,723
Is that cable also referred to as the “Audio 8 wire Xerxes Vanquish”?

That's the one. Got mine from Music Sanctuary and took about 4 weeks for delivery.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #23,855 of 45,723
That's the one. Got mine from Music Sanctuary and took about 4 weeks for delivery.

Could you give me the price you paid in Singapore and 4.4mm plug brand? Thank-you.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #23,856 of 45,723
Could you give me the price you paid in Singapore and 4.4mm plug brand? Thank-you.

Just go to the website and configure for the price. Plug is Furutech rhodium plated. That was extra but checking the website now I see they have the option listed. Don't know if that's rhodium plated or not though.

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #23,860 of 45,723
20180926_162810.jpg

Sep 27, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #23,861 of 45,723
Yeah... I can't bear to try other DAPS and I'm eyeing a good minty pre-loved Z too despite having had my A modded.
I don't think I've enjoyed a piece of electronics as much since I got my first iPod years ago.

Unlike my first iPhone which was some thing I wanted to show to friends, the iPod, and now the 1A, was something I was quietly enjoying a great deal. Kinda like a secret guilty pleasure I don't want to bother sharing with others because most people around me can't comprehend the concept of a standalone DAP. They're all so used to a mobile phone and stock earbuds for their music.
+ 1 me in Right there. Only Fellow enthusiasts get that where we are when we put on our DAPs. We'd move along when we start to hear their comment "they sound the same". Well, they don't...

Sep 27, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #23,862 of 45,723
Has anyone experienced a loss of sound through pentaconn which is immediately corrected by rotating the plug in the jack? I almost never unplug my pentaconn, but typically when I don't use it for a day or two then start using it, the sound wont come out of one channel. Its like there is something interrupting the signal. i'm not sure what is happening ive never experienced it elsewhere

Sep 27, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #23,863 of 45,723
Has anyone experienced a loss of sound through pentaconn which is immediately corrected by rotating the plug in the jack? I almost never unplug my pentaconn, but typically when I don't use it for a day or two then start using it, the sound wont come out of one channel. Its like there is something interrupting the signal. i'm not sure what is happening ive never experienced it elsewhere

Never. Not once if it is indeed a 4.4mm Pentaconn branded plug. And I have a couple of OFC ones.

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #23,865 of 45,723

I have this problem with my EA 4.4mm Pentaconn. Twisting it helps.

I only unplug it for charging. Had to remove my Dignis case to see the red charging LED.

Anyone else with problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back