SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #20,566 of 45,723
So how do you know when you're down to 10%? Also, what pct. would you be at when the low battery message comes up? Thanks!
That's a good question. WM1 series do not show exact percentage. There are only 5 levels of icon indicator. I just assumed each bar is roughly 25%. On the last bar remaining, before it starts blinking, I believe the batter level is approximately between 10 to 25% (just guessing; user's manual does not say anything about this). So in my case, after noticing the battery level becomes one bar, I keep listening for a couple of hours (mainly 24/96 FLAC direct sound), then start charging. That's why I put "~" in front of "10%". Hope this helps.

May 24, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #20,567 of 45,723
Anyone have issues with battery only lasting about 10hrs on balanced out?

Could be me not draining battery all the way before charging. I'm used to plugging in my phone/dap after end of day even if it's around 75%.

Could be all the sound processing are turned on + high gain + save battery option ticked + high brightness

The save battery feature is to reserve the battery life cycle. The feature only charge the unit to 90%.

All of those combination could make the battery life shorter significantly.

May 24, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #20,570 of 45,723
DSC_6211-2.jpg

wm1a + hyla ce-5 mmm

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #20,571 of 45,723
Much prefer volume knob! Enough to make me hesitate to get Sony, as they All seem to have buttons for volume (except the PHA...they have great knobs!).

There must be a reason that Sony finds buttons preferable to knobs!

Buttons are simply better for portables.

The Walkman volume buttons has dimples so you know which one is volume up without having to look at it (there's no standard to volume knob orientation - some daps have turn up as volume down etc). There's also much less chance of accidental volume change when you put the dap into your pocket/bag as simple frictional contact won't activate buttons but can turn knobs unless the knobs are extremely recessed/or barricaded, or made extremely stiff, which means you need to have a Hold button so you don't have this issue (looking at you AK!), but you must then make engaging Hold out of habit, which gets frustrating and isn't particularly user friendly.

I like knobs for stationary amps, but would not want knobs for portables. Use what is best for each case.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #20,572 of 45,723
I also much prefer buttons

May 24, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #20,573 of 45,723
There are some DAPS with good SQ but with screwy volume knobs. Owned a Shanling M3s with a very sensitive scroll wheel that always over shoots when navigating with it in the menu or adjusting volume. Heard that's there is some units with their scroll wheel detaching. It's a nice enough DAP with stable UI and decent SQ but the scroll wheel is a PITA at times.

I rather stick to buttons.

May 24, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #20,574 of 45,723
There are some DAPS with good SQ but with screwy volume knobs. Owned a Shanling M3s with a very sensitive scroll wheel that always over shoots when navigating with it in the menu or adjusting volume. Heard that's there is some units with their scroll wheel detaching. It's a nice enough DAP with stable UI and decent SQ but the scroll wheel is a PITA at times.

I love Sony buttons.

May 24, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #20,576 of 45,723
I already have the premium plus mod and i'm not impressed with the 3.5 it cant drive my dita dream well..lacks bass

what is the mod supposed to improve exactly?

has anyone a/b a stock vs modded wm1/x

May 24, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #20,577 of 45,723
Buttons are simply better for portables.

The Walkman volume buttons has dimples so you know which one is volume up without having to look at it (there's no standard to volume knob orientation - some daps have turn up as volume down etc). There's also much less chance of accidental volume change when you put the dap into your pocket/bag as simple frictional contact won't activate buttons but can turn knobs unless the knobs are extremely recessed/or barricaded, or made extremely stiff, which means you need to have a Hold button so you don't have this issue (looking at you AK!), but you must then make engaging Hold out of habit, which gets frustrating and isn't particularly user friendly.

I like knobs for stationary amps, but would not want knobs for portables. Use what is best for each case.

I also much prefer buttons

I love Sony buttons.

Yes, you get used to the buttons and where they sit. The small relief dots always help. Nothing sticking out too far. The overall look ends up being clean and the buttons never get bumped by accident.

I guess it’s all pretty close to perfect? Once in a while a push is not getting the volume to the exact location place you want, but that’s only part of the time. All and all the interface seems like a great design. The small contours along the edges also add to the experience. Can’t complain, and I’m not sure if there is any button layout quite like what Sony has done?

May 24, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #20,578 of 45,723
i hope this is an appropriate post in this thread:

i'm a starting n00b into the head-fi and my current setup is an Onkyo DP-S1 mated either to IE800 or balanced Sony Z7s. I like everything about Onkyo, considering it's price bracket, but it does have terrible battery life and I wonder if stepping up to a more expensive DAP will be a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Someone that started with something that was a little more "budget" than WMA1 and eventually progressed to WMA1, can you please advise?

Specifically what i'm looking at, looking to get used, and hopefully keep budget under $850:

-WMA1 -- love the purity of this device, straight to the point, run your music in possibly the best sound quality available. great battery life, but i don't like only 1 sim card (in Onkyo i run dual 200gb which are about $80 cheaper than a single 400gb card).

-NW300 -- this seems like a phenomenal compromise and reading through many threads people state that the sound stage is very close to WMA1, especially in balanced mode. I really like the USB-DAC function, but i wonder if this makes this device a "jack of all trades master of none" type of device? priced about $300 less than WMA1. Battery life seems great

-A&K KANN -- like that this has 2 memory cards, battery life seems to be good and it's also somewhat of a flag ship device. Tidal streaming is a big bonus. But I am concerned about android system as I have to use a separate Android app on my mac to get it to talk to the device. I would imagine the sound stage would exceed NW300 and would be closer to WMA1 while offering USB-DAC and other already mentioned benefits

A&K 70II -- seems like a competitor to NW300, benefits would be USB-DAC function, tidal streaming. Battery life maybe not so good, definitely seems less than Sonys. How would it compare in sound stage to either of the Sony?

Overall I guess i'm just asking whether it's worth "upgrading" to any of these considering even the cheapest, used, unit above would cost me an additional $350 for what i paid for the Onkyo. Would the sound stage be 2-4x improvement, night & day, or will it be marginally improved and i'd have to listen very attentively to even find the difference?

May 24, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #20,579 of 45,723
Yes, you get used to the buttons and where they sit. The small relief dots always help. Nothing sticking out too far. The overall look ends up being clean and the buttons never get bumped by accident.

I guess it’s all pretty close to perfect? Once in a while a push is not getting the volume to the exact location place you want, but that’s only part of the time. All and all the interface seems like a great design. The small contours along the edges also add to the experience. Can’t complain, and I’m not sure if there is any button layout quite like what Sony has done?
I too prefer the buttons. Additionally, if you use the Benks clear silicone case, it has even more accentuated dimples on the volume up and play/pause buttons, so they're very easy to feel.

May 24, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #20,580 of 45,723
i hope this is an appropriate post in this thread:

i'm a starting n00b into the head-fi and my current setup is an Onkyo DP-S1 mated either to IE800 or balanced Sony Z7s. I like everything about Onkyo, considering it's price bracket, but it does have terrible battery life and I wonder if stepping up to a more expensive DAP will be a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Someone that started with something that was a little more "budget" than WMA1 and eventually progressed to WMA1, can you please advise?

Specifically what i'm looking at, looking to get used, and hopefully keep budget under $850:

-WMA1 -- love the purity of this device, straight to the point, run your music in possibly the best sound quality available. great battery life, but i don't like only 1 sim card (in Onkyo i run dual 200gb which are about $80 cheaper than a single 400gb card).

-NW300 -- this seems like a phenomenal compromise and reading through many threads people state that the sound stage is very close to WMA1, especially in balanced mode. I really like the USB-DAC function, but i wonder if this makes this device a "jack of all trades master of none" type of device? priced about $300 less than WMA1. Battery life seems great

-A&K KANN -- like that this has 2 memory cards, battery life seems to be good and it's also somewhat of a flag ship device. Tidal streaming is a big bonus. But I am concerned about android system as I have to use a separate Android app on my mac to get it to talk to the device. I would imagine the sound stage would exceed NW300 and would be closer to WMA1 while offering USB-DAC and other already mentioned benefits

A&K 70II -- seems like a competitor to NW300, benefits would be USB-DAC function, tidal streaming. Battery life maybe not so good, definitely seems less than Sonys. How would it compare in sound stage to either of the Sony?

Overall I guess i'm just asking whether it's worth "upgrading" to any of these considering even the cheapest, used, unit above would cost me an additional $350 for what i paid for the Onkyo. Would the sound stage be 2-4x improvement, night & day, or will it be marginally improved and i'd have to listen very attentively to even find the difference?

I am quite new too. Progressed from Sony Xperia Z5 to ONN X5 to Shanling M1 to Shanling M3s and finally to Sony WM1A. Just wish to share this:
1. Xperia to Z5 to ONN X5, couldn't really notice any improvement if at all. Hated it's UI.
2. ONN X5 to Shanling M1, perceived a tiny bit of improvement (might be imaginary). But with better UI.
3. Shanling M1 to Shanling M3s, some noticeable improvements (a bit more when upgraded to a balanced cable).
4. Shanling M3s to WM1A, some improvements in the details, deeper stage. But it was WM1A's sound signature that made me fell in love with it. This is more on my preference. Don't expect 2-4x improvements.

Apart from SQ, objectively I can say battery life, ease of use, non buggy firmware upgrades of WM1A is the top in your list.

IMHO, we buy a DAP to enjoy our songs on it. SQ will be the 1st consideration. Best to try them (if possible) before you decide.
Or read as many reviews as possible from reviewers with the same preference of music genres as you. Or like me, pulled the trigger just from reading impressions of fellow head-fiers and never looked back. Only problem now is convincing myself not to get the WM1Z. LOL.

1372 pages ATM. Surely this indicates something don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back