SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #20,551 of 45,723
As much as I love Sony's gadgets, I still consider their TVs and Smartphones to be a let-down. Other areas I like them such as Speakers, headphones, Walkmans and their Cameras

I am using Sony's 4K HDR LED TV and very happy with it. Comparing between LED TVs (not OLED TVs) of the same price range side by side, IMHO nothing beats Sony's offerings and value for money. The color balance are more natural. Samsung's are more vivid but certain color like red are extremely overcooked.

I am also using a Sony Z5. Bought it as my 1st attempt of getting a better source. That was from my 1st experience with Head-Fi. IIRC Whitigir was using Z3 Compact before moving on to ZX2. It was the best sounding HP at that time, best camera sensor, waterproof, better battery than most and most important to me, it never screw up with updates (unlike the top selling android smartphones). It's practical to use. It's not bloated with features that I don't use. Best feature I like about them is their double tap to on and off screen. But after Z5, they really need to innovate and catch up. I am still happy with my Z5. It fulfills my needs ably. Only thing I mind is the camera is way behind the latest offerings now but I don't take selfies.

FWIW, I will not say I am a Sony fan boy. Didn't get their IEMs, headphones or laptops, but love WM1s. Sorry for being out of topic. :blush:

May 23, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #20,552 of 45,723
As much as I love Sony's gadgets, I still consider their TVs and Smartphones to be a let-down. Other areas I like them such as Speakers, headphones, Walkmans and their Cameras

I like Xperia phones - they aren't fancy but are instead practical with very little customisation (a GOOD thing), plus the Sony software has been shown by research to be the most stable of all the third party Android OEMs. They aren't making money but I hate to seem go as there's no way I would buy a Chinese made Android phone and I've already been burnt enough times by Samsung. If Sony goes away the only Android phone I'll ever get would be a Google Pixel.

Either way there's apparently no need to worry about no more Walkmans, Sony's not going away there.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #20,553 of 45,723
Anyone have issues with battery only lasting about 10hrs on balanced out?

Could be me not draining battery all the way before charging. I'm used to plugging in my phone/dap after end of day even if it's around 75%.

May 23, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #20,554 of 45,723

Could be me not draining battery all the way before charging. I'm used to plugging in my phone/dap after end of day even if it's around 75%.
Check also DSP effects such as EQ, DSEE HX and DC phase linearizer, ep if you combine the last two it will eat the battery

May 23, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #20,555 of 45,723
Check also DSP effects such as EQ, DSEE HX and DC phase linearizer, ep if you combine the last two it will eat the battery
I thought DSP had something to do with it as well :)

been switching between direct source and DSEE HX and DC Phase

Thanks!

May 23, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #20,556 of 45,723
hmm if a new Walkman "40th anniversary edition" is released. Would you like Volume Buttons as Walkmans always have had or a Volume knob with ADC digital volume control like Fiio is doing with their latest Amps?

May 23, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #20,557 of 45,723
Much prefer volume knob! Enough to make me hesitate to get Sony, as they All seem to have buttons for volume (except the PHA...they have great knobs!).

There must be a reason that Sony finds buttons preferable to knobs!

May 23, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #20,560 of 45,723
Much prefer volume knob! Enough to make me hesitate to get Sony, as they All seem to have buttons for volume (except the PHA...they have great knobs!).

There must be a reason that Sony finds buttons preferable to knobs!
I would also like to get a Knob, i had an Oppo HA-2 and like the knob

May 23, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #20,561 of 45,723
I would like a knob, easier to adjust when not looking at the dap directly

May 23, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #20,563 of 45,723

Since Sony WM series use lithium ion batteries, there is no memory effect. And it is a healthy habit to charge them at 50 to 75%. However, software calibration to estimate the battery charge level can get erroneous with multiple "shallow" charging cycles. So many laptop and tablet manufacturers recommend "conditioning" batteries by almost full discharging once per month. But be aware that discharging down to 5% or below may damage batteries. Therefore, I discharge mine down to ~10% once a month.

May 23, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #20,564 of 45,723
Since Sony WM series use lithium ion batteries, there is no memory effect. And it is a healthy habit to charge them at 50 to 75%. However, software calibration to estimate the battery charge level can get erroneous with multiple "shallow" charging cycles. So many laptop and tablet manufacturers recommend "conditioning" batteries by almost full discharging once per month. But be aware that discharging down to 5% or below may damage batteries. Therefore, I discharge mine down to ~10% once a month.

So how do you know when you're down to 10%? Also, what pct. would you be at when the low battery message comes up? Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back