SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #20,101 of 45,723
The first I heard the setting work was with the TA amp/DAC. In hindsight the effect with the amp is by far the strongest difference between the three players. But that makes complete sense as the amp is the most detailed anyway.

Your impression and others from TA-ZH1ES thread is making really me to really want this AMP.

I have a Massdrop SDAC + Cavalli Liquid Carbon on the way next month. But wanted the TA-ZH1ES. Don't what to do with that Liquid Carbon if I get a TA...

Wanted to get a good balanced cable for my LCD2C but not sure which termination should I choose now. XLR balanced or 4.4mm to use with my WM1A and TA (if I get it).

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #20,102 of 45,723
Your impression and others from TA-ZH1ES thread is making really me to really want this AMP.

I have a Massdrop SDAC + Cavalli Liquid Carbon on the way next month. But wanted the TA-ZH1ES. Don't what to do with that Liquid Carbon if I get a TA...

Wanted to get a good balanced cable for my LCD2C but not sure which termination should I choose now. XLR balanced or 4.4mm to use with my WM1A and TA (if I get it).
if you get TA amp, you should get 4.4mm since it can be used with both sony dap and TA dac/amp.

Apr 28, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #20,103 of 45,723

If your in Singapore go to Stereo they have a TA-ZH1ES to try out, they are super nice there, also they have the Z1R which seems by many to be "the" headphone for the amp. Sorry don't know how this set up compares to the Liquid Carbon?

They also have a 1Z to try.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #20,104 of 45,723
If your in Singapore go to Stereo they have a TA-ZH1ES to try out, they are super nice there, also they have the Z1R which seems by many to be "the" headphone for the amp. Sorry don't know how this set up compares to the Liquid Carbon?

They also have a 1Z to try.

Tried in 2 Sony stores. Interested in the TA DAC/AMP. Z1R is good. But not enough to replace my LCD2C. It will be more like a side grade.

The brief time I had trying them, I could not tell the difference between WM1Z only or WM1Z as transport to the TA. Tried with stock cables and Sony Kimberkable balanced.

Sorry to the others for being out of topic.

Apr 28, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #20,105 of 45,723
Tried in 2 Sony stores. Interested in the TA DAC/AMP. Z1R is good. But not enough to replace my LCD2C. It will be more like a side grade.

The brief time I had trying them, I could not tell the difference between WM1Z only or WM1Z as transport to the TA. Tried with stock cables and Sony Kimberkable balanced.

Sorry to the others for being out of topic.

Using the TA is a pretty big improvement over just the portable?

Apr 28, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #20,106 of 45,723
You will need to read up on AK380 balanced port and stuff. The reason why ? Is because Sony polished their 4.4mm port to be the best performer. See ? Native DSD and 250mwx2 only available with 4.4mm

From my experience unbalanced 3.5mm output is much better for my JH13 Pro ear buds than 4.4 balanced and I don't know why. There's much more details when the JH13 is hooked up to 3.5

Apr 28, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #20,107 of 45,723
Using the TA is a pretty big improvement over just the portable?

My 1st audition was at Sony Store Wisma Atria. Was disappointed with Z1R with the TA and stock cables.

2nd audition was at Sony Store at Sim Lim Square. They have a pc connected to the TA with thick looking cables. They have Sony Kimblekable for the Z1R as well. Z1R was a lot better with the Sony Kimberkable.

Regarding the TA being better than WM1Z, based on my listening from both location, there is no day and night difference. With the time lapse between switching them, I cannot objectively tell the difference except the WM1Z was a bit warmer and there is more headroom for volume to play with with the TA.

Both are better than WM1A but the difference isn't day and night too. This is with the Z1R. With my LCD2C with stock single ended cable, I am really unhappy with my WM1A.

Will report back when I get a balanced cable for my LCD2C.

Apr 28, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #20,108 of 45,723
Kimberkable is not spelled that way? https://www.kimber.com/

Are you referring to the Sony MUC-B20SB1? That’s the 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced to 3.5mm cable.

Anyway, the difference between using the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP or the 1A/1Z is actually very much a night and day difference, with the Z1R. Not to be condescending in any way, but if you spend some time with them you’ll find out.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #20,109 of 45,723
Kimberkable is not spelled that way? https://www.kimber.com/

Are you referring to the Sony MUC-B20SB1? That’s the 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced to 3.5mm cable.

Anyway, the difference between using the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP or the 1A/1Z is actually very much a night and day difference, with the Z1R. Not to be condescending in any way, but if you spend some time with them you’ll find out.
you mean playing with TA is much better than 1z/1a?

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #20,110 of 45,723
Yes you are right. It's Sony MUC-B20SB1 collab with Kimber Kable. A handful to memorise. Getting lazy with short cut names. Apologise for causing confusions.

Definitely need more time in a quieter environment. Both auditions was not perfect as there are people waiting and ambient noises of a typical shopping mall.

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #20,111 of 45,723
From my experience unbalanced 3.5mm output is much better for my JH13 Pro ear buds than 4.4 balanced and I don't know why. There's much more details when the JH13 is hooked up to 3.5

I by far prefer my JH13 from the balanced port on both 1Z and TA

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #20,112 of 45,723
Yes you are right. It's Sony MUC-B20SB1 collab with Kimber Kable. A handful to memorise. Getting lazy with short cut names. Apologise for causing confusions.

Definitely need more time in a quieter environment. Both auditions was not perfect as there are people waiting and ambient noises of a typical shopping mall.

Honestly I dislike using the night and day term, but if by chance someone was on the fence about possibly getting the amp, well that’s where the emotion sets in. The combination is fantastic. I’m not sure if there is any difference between using the 1A or 1Z as a file player? Also there are a lot of variables. You have the docking station or the dongle. The side USB is the lesser quality way to go. I’m still experimenting and need to get a better Audioquest USB cable. But each way to connect to the amp sounds slightly different. And.......if someone was not using the Z1R these differences may not ever be so dramatic or noticeable?

Sorry for being off topic, I’m simply passionate.......

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #20,113 of 45,723
Sorry for being off topic, I’m simply passionate.......

I was reading stuffs from here since 2015 gaining valuable advices and knowledge all from the posts by contributors here. All these are from your experiences and passion. I am new here. Apologise if I made the wrong impressions. Please take my posts with a grain of salt.

My impressions of TA-ZH1ES with WM1Z as transport and of the WM1Z alone was not in an enclosed listening room. Ambient noises with with people waiting in line to audition, it was not ideal. With the short time I am with these 2. I cannot tell the difference immediately (with IEMs). With Z1R, I feel the TA-ZH1ES can bring out it's potentials. But those extra details are not immediately noticeable in the noisy environment.

@Redcarmoose you have all 2 DAPs and TA-ZH1ES and I trust your inputs.

I’m not sure if there is any difference between using the 1A or 1Z as a file player? Also there are a lot of variables. You have the docking station or the dongle. The side USB is the lesser quality way to go. I’m still experimenting and need to get a better Audioquest USB cable. But each way to connect to the amp sounds slightly different.

Awaiting the results of your experiments.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #20,114 of 45,723
My first impressions of the 1A and 1Z were at The Sony Flagship store on Somerset. I maybe would have not even purchased them based on the listening experience. Listening in stores is tuff no matter how you slice it.

And being you don’t use the Z1R, there could definitely be better amp choices. The TA-ZH1ES can’t drive my k701s. So it’s maybe this thing of synergy with the Z1R? And I don’t mean to belittle the 1A or the 1Z with the Z1R, as I’m not sure there is a semi portable configuration which sounds better? With-out the amp the combination is great too, just not the same.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #20,115 of 45,723
Ok, let me rephrase the important of TA-ZH1ES and Walkman performances. Back then when I had the trio: Z1R, WM1Z and TAZH1ES

In my experiences

#1 scenario:

Using WM1Z as a transport directly into TA-SH1ES

By stock TAZH1ES WM-USB Cables. There were no vast differences between TA-SH1ES vs Walkman WM1Z. Yes, more volume for sure.

#2 Scenario:

Using WM1Z as transport directly into TA-ZH1ES

Using Sony docking cradle and upgraded USB cables . Now, the differences are days and nights differences . Notice* I meant Days and nights as in you can observe the differences in seconds.

My conclusion on this was from a long time ago. Stock usb cables for Walkman by Sony suck! Period. Buy docking cradle or dongle usb accessory

Btw, this is the same as Walkman + Pha-3 and it stock digital cables. They just suck the monkey balls, period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back