SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #17,611 of 45,723
Usually the dimension of the cover should be less than 700x700

Not true. I have covers 2000x2000 and displays perfectly. The only caveat is the jpg must have been saved as baseline and not progressive. So for the jpgs not showing you have to extract them, save as baseline and then embed them again in the music file.

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #17,612 of 45,723

You’ll love the Z5s with it. Mine came with zero charge. It charges from zero to full in about 3.5 hours I estimate as I have only charged it that first time from zero. The date of manufacture will be will be listed as month and year on the sticker on the side lower corner, also listing where it was made.

Photo of sticker provided by https://www.head-fi.org/members/whitigir.378966/

Just saw a YouTube video from 2016 showing a 1Z with the same 1-7-1 code as mine on the CE sticker. Maybe this code is referring to something else then manufacturing date!

Looking at my other Sony DAP's it might be that the serial number provides more info on the production batch of the DAP and then specifically the third digit: 500,501,502 in case of the WM1.

Merry Xmas to all!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #17,613 of 45,723
DSC_0094.JPG

Mine says 5-2017

Dec 25, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #17,614 of 45,723
Don't give up just yet. I tried GIMP (for Windows) and finally got it to work (after not working initially). If you haven't tried this, here were the steps that worked for me.

1) From GIMP main menu, select File, then Open
2) Find the .JPG artwork and Open
3) From GIMIP main menu, select File, then Export As
4) Select the .JPG artwork file (same as in Step 2), and click Export
5) Click Replace in the dialog box
6) Click the "Advanced Options" drop down box
7) Uncheck "Progressive" box
8) Click "Export"

That's it!

Before I tried the above, I was trying to "Save As" and that didn't work.

Many thanks. I did exactly this and copied this file into my player as Cover.jpg but my wm1a isn't showing it. I tried different files sizes and copied about 3 .jpg files but it isn't showing anything. :frowning2:

Dec 25, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #17,616 of 45,723
Many thanks. I did exactly this and copied this file into my player as Cover.jpg but my wm1a isn't showing it. I tried different files sizes and copied about 3 .jpg files but it isn't showing anything. :frowning2:

If there is an embedded image in the music file that will take prority over a cover.jpg file even if the embedded file is a progressive jpg that the player can’t handle

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #17,617 of 45,723
Don't give up just yet. I tried GIMP (for Windows) and finally got it to work (after not working initially). If you haven't tried this, here were the steps that worked for me.

1) From GIMP main menu, select File, then Open
2) Find the .JPG artwork and Open
3) From GIMIP main menu, select File, then Export As
4) Select the .JPG artwork file (same as in Step 2), and click Export
5) Click Replace in the dialog box
6) Click the "Advanced Options" drop down box
7) Uncheck "Progressive" box
8) Click "Export"

That's it!

Before I tried the above, I was trying to "Save As" and that didn't work.

A much simpler solution:
1. Open the jpg in MS Paint
2. File -> Save
3. Done!

MS Paint doesn't support progressive jpg, so will automatically convert to baseline when you save.

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #17,618 of 45,723
In photoshop
1) click File -> Open
2) open the art work you want to convert
3) click File->Save as...
4) in the save dialog, in the File fromat drop-down choose JPEG. in the file name write f.e Folder or cover
5) click save if propmted the file exists and replace clikc OK
6) JPEG options dialog opens
7) select your desired quality
8)in Format options choose Baseline ("standard")
9) click OK and done

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #17,619 of 45,723
Dec 25, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #17,620 of 45,723
A much simpler solution:
1. Open the jpg in MS Paint
2. File -> Save
3. Done!

MS Paint doesn't support progressive jpg, so will automatically convert to baseline when you save.

That's all I've used for over 2tb of music and not one mistake just add resize to 500x500 which displays perfectly and saves that bit more space.

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #17,621 of 45,723
I have read that weiss SARACON (costs 1700 USD to license) is the best DSD to pcm converter.

I used a set of tools called SACDIso2EMFLAC and installed weiss saracon, the result was LOSS OF FIDELITY compared to native DSD layback or even "Onthe fly" WM1A down conversion to PCM 24/176.4KHz, stunning, a pro-tool that shaves quality significantly to be notable.

sound more darker and deccay faster , there is distortion in the higher frequencies and warble.

Now I just sue these tools SACD2EMFLAC but uninstalled saracon and quit when it has extracted the DSD stream and just keep the DSD file

These tools used Weiss saracon to make a .CAF file (core audio file) in 24/88.2 or 176.4, configurable in weiss saracon

then used foobar2000 to serach for peaks, deemed useless as i hear high freq distortion. I want to htink it also used foobar to convert them to FLAC

DSD in native sounds awesome, as well when i wand to be it down converted by WM1A and apply the filters to have fun, sounds transparent compared to saracon tools, my two cents

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #17,622 of 45,723

You actually need to embed the cover.jpg into each song file, not just copy the cover.jpg onto the WM-1A. To do this, download Mp3tag (https://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html). Then do the following:

1) Clcik the folder icon along the top that has the green check mark on it. Then find the folder that has your album in it. Click "Select Folder" at the bottom of the dialog after you have highlighted the folder that has your album in it.
2) You should now see all of the songs in the main part of the main screen
3) From here, click in the bottom part of the main screen (the white area where no songs are listed). Then press Ctrl+A. Then will select all songs that are in your album.
4) On the far left side of the screen, you will see a square area. If your filed have cover art associated with it, it will appear here. Even if you see artwork here, you want to delete it now. To do this, right click on the square area and select "Remove Cover". If there is cover art associated with your files, then "Remove Cover" won't be able to be selected.
5) Right click on the square area again, and select "Add cover...". A dialog box will appear and will be open to the folder where you song files were located. Find the .jpg file that you previously converted to a standard jpg. Clcik "Open" at the bottom of the dialog box.
6) Lastly, click the floppy disc icon at the far left at that top of the main screen. This will now copy any changes you've made back to your song files.
7) If you want to change any other data associated with your files, you can change it on the main screen. Just remember to clcik the floppy disc icon at the far left to save your changes.
8) To make changes to other albums, just start again at Step 1 with a new album
9) Finally, copy the song files over to your WM-1A.

Hopefully this works for you.

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #17,623 of 45,723
You actually need to embed the cover.jpg into each song file, not just copy the cover.jpg onto the WM-1A. To do this, download Mp3tag (https://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html). Then do the following:

1) Clcik the folder icon along the top that has the green check mark on it. Then find the folder that has your album in it. Click "Select Folder" at the bottom of the dialog after you have highlighted the folder that has your album in it.
2) You should now see all of the songs in the main part of the main screen
3) From here, click in the bottom part of the main screen (the white area where no songs are listed). Then press Ctrl+A. Then will select all songs that are in your album.
4) On the far left side of the screen, you will see a square area. If your filed have cover art associated with it, it will appear here. Even if you see artwork here, you want to delete it now. To do this, right click on the square area and select "Remove Cover". If there is cover art associated with your files, then "Remove Cover" won't be able to be selected.
5) Right click on the square area again, and select "Add cover...". A dialog box will appear and will be open to the folder where you song files were located. Find the .jpg file that you previously converted to a standard jpg. Clcik "Open" at the bottom of the dialog box.
6) Lastly, click the floppy disc icon at the far left at that top of the main screen. This will now copy any changes you've made back to your song files.
7) If you want to change any other data associated with your files, you can change it on the main screen. Just remember to clcik the floppy disc icon at the far left to save your changes.
8) To make changes to other albums, just start again at Step 1 with a new album
9) Finally, copy the song files over to your WM-1A.

Hopefully this works for you.
If you see my thread of sony walkman tips and tricks i expain this and BatCh MODE, this comes in handy when you have multiple albums to tag but just make sure to select FRONT COVER

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #17,624 of 45,723
I’ve put all my DSD and super his FLAC files on my 1Z and yes they do sound better than red book FLAC of the same recordings. The problem is I only really notice the difference when actively doing A/B listening. If I just play some music with intention of enjoying rather than analyzing it the red book version sounds just as good so I’ll just load the red book versions onto the 1Z and then get room for more music and longer battery life. For just enjoying the music the difference is simply not worth it for me which naturally does not mean that the same will be the case for everybody else

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #17,625 of 45,723
If you see my thread of sony walkman tips and tricks i expain this and BatCh MODE, this comes in handy when you have multiple albums to tag but just make sure to select FRONT COVER

Awesome thread! Wish I had known about your thread. I had to figure your it out by trial and error. Love that you have images to support each step. That is very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back