SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #16,292 of 45,723
Yes, it does. What's the problem with that? Are you afraid of having to burn your walkman in from the very beginning?

My OCness will kick my gut with the missing info. I'd probably need to tack a last record of the total time on it so I know, and maybe carve it in stone too lol

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #16,293 of 45,723
DSC_0131.jpg
picture two.jpg
DSC_0127.jpg
DSC_0142.jpg
one picture.jpg
DSC_0182.jpg
The more I look at this golden nugget, the more I like it :D

Sit Down.....................

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #16,294 of 45,723
I was finally able to get my wm1a from home and updated it, brought it to the hospital so i can listen in between watching my dad. I was in the middle of burning in the single end (its at around 120 hours now) and last I heard from it using my tennmak trio, it sounded good, but the iem was at its limit trying to deliver my music.

Or so I thought, after the update, I feel like it just sounds a bit more spacious, the instruments didn't sound as cramped as before (cramped compared to the andromeda) and there are little details that I've heard on the andro but not on the tennmak until today. It's easier now on the ears and it sounds better than the previous firmware.

I'm excited to try it with balanced and the andro when I get home and see if it has similarly improved.

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #16,295 of 45,723
been doing the tracktotala nd disctotal manually, is a paijn in the ass , but well some little automation works tracks as 1/20 then i do GUESS VALUES FIELD %track% GUESS_PATTERN: %track%/%Tracktotal%

for Disctotal if album naiming permits i do album name vol (or CD) %discnumber%

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #16,296 of 45,723
I really dont like the idea of changing the sound signature at each firmware update. I had the chance of comparing 1a to lotoo paw gold (lpg) and did not like the sound signature of 1a. I thought it was very digital without any positive points over lpg. However, I also recently had a chance of listening to 1z and making the same comparison with lpg. I used z1r and warbler prelude for that and loved the tuning and the sound signature and enjoyed the synergy with those head/earphones. I enjoyed that listening session so much that I ordered 1z right at that spot and instance. I am still waiting for the delivery, but the idea of the sound signature that I fell in love with, might not be available with my future 1z makes me anxious. Although not probable, I believe that I will be very angry and frustrated if my 1z will come with the firmware 2.0.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #16,297 of 45,723
I really dont like the idea of changing the sound signature at each firmware update. I had the chance of comparing 1a to lotoo paw gold (lpg) and did not like the sound signature of 1a. I thought it was very digital without any positive points over lpg. However, I also recently had a chance of listening to 1z and making the same comparison with lpg. I used z1r and warbler prelude for that and loved the tuning and the sound signature and enjoyed the synergy with those head/earphones. I enjoyed that listening session so much that I ordered 1z right at that spot and instance. I am still waiting for the delivery, but the idea of the sound signature that I fell in love with, might not be available with my future 1z makes me anxious. Although not probable, I believe that I will be very angry and frustrated if my 1z will come with the firmware 2.0.

Don't worry, it likely won't. And you can downgrade anyway

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #16,298 of 45,723
I've only listened to this one piece in MQA - well, I'm still listening, and I'm not sure which of the two formats I prefer. Clearly, a lot depends on the skill of the engineers and the venue acoustics. I do however think it is a very close run thing, all other things being equal. However, in 12 years of listening to these ety's, I have never encountered such presence - and low end presence at that.

DSD can sometimes sound clinical, but I don't think that's a characteristic of DSDs as such. I think I would have to hear a lot more MQA to reach a conclusion. Unfortunately, the catalogue for MQA in classical is somewhat limited ATM, but I don' think MQA can be dismissed as a gimmick. I definitely want more! If I understand how MQA works, what you hear is defined by how good your gear is (ie, how much the music can be "unfolded"). This is an interesting technology for sure.

MQA is a lossy compression so essentially it is to hires what mp3 is to cd so on a purely technical level the result will be somewhere between cd and hires quality

Nov 12, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #16,299 of 45,723
I've only listened to this one piece in MQA - well, I'm still listening, and I'm not sure which of the two formats I prefer. Clearly, a lot depends on the skill of the engineers and the venue acoustics. I do however think it is a very close run thing, all other things being equal. However, in 12 years of listening to these ety's, I have never encountered such presence - and low end presence at that.

DSD can sometimes sound clinical, but I don't think that's a characteristic of DSDs as such. I think I would have to hear a lot more MQA to reach a conclusion. Unfortunately, the catalogue for MQA in classical is somewhat limited ATM, but I don' think MQA can be dismissed as a gimmick. I definitely want more! If I understand how MQA works, what you hear is defined by how good your gear is (ie, how much the music can be "unfolded"). This is an interesting technology for sure.

I think the classical crowd is pretty well catered to by DSD formats, whereas all the rock and alternative music I enjoy hardly ever comes out in DSD - and I'm seeing them being released in MQA, which fuels my enthusiasm for the format. DSD may sound better, but it doesn't mean anything to me if I can't find the music I love in the format...haha. Seems like the MQA catalog is more mainstream oriented, which I'm personally pretty excited about.

Nov 12, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #16,300 of 45,723
Nov 12, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #16,301 of 45,723
I had a chance to test all available firmware versions with my WM1Z. The original v1.02 is still the best sounding to my ears. It has the widest soundstage and a "tuby" sound signature. It's the most musical firmware. With each new firmware iteration, the sound signature becomes more "referency" and less fun.

http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/WM1/NW-WM1_V1_02.exe

1 - can i use this FW with the 1a ? is it again a dual 1a/1z FW ?

2 - how do you use/revert to older FWs ? is it the same procedure as using the new FW ?

thank you

Nov 12, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #16,304 of 45,723
It's possible to have an adapter 4.4mm (female) to another (2.5-3.5-6.335 or XLR) termination male ?

Nov 12, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #16,305 of 45,723
It's possible to have an adapter 4.4mm (female) to another (2.5-3.5-6.335 or XLR) termination male ?
Yes its possible but i haven't found many that i could buy without breaking the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back