SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #16,261 of 45,723
Where are people getting this clear case from? I’m US based - Amazon by any chance?

You live in the US, amazon is the best place, but expect 2-3 times the price of the original cost, the last time I seen it, it's USD 29.99+USD 8 shipping, whiles in china it's only USD 8.

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #16,263 of 45,723
I’ll let you know, just ordered to replace the one I have.
There are only 3 cheap cases on the market, not including third party leather cases, benks, non branded and a silicon one. I get my benks stuff from the seller in the benks links below.

silicon
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...Vg1Bd1&id=560743582785&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail

non branded
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...Vg1Bd1&id=544624170144&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail

benks
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?s...335569ed55e27b&abbucket=7&skuId=3280445293201

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #16,264 of 45,723
1Z with fw 2.0 is end game for me, can’t imagine how it could get any better and it suits Z1R extremely well and is great with JH13 which is how it is mostly used

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #16,266 of 45,723
I'm still burning in balanced and hoping the wm1a will get funner... Giving it a chance before I pull the trigger on selling it. Taking baby care of it, put some screen protector on it,

Wish you all the best and hope it will help you to like this player. Sometimes it is love from first sight, sometimes it need some time. :)

Nov 11, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #16,268 of 45,723
Ok, time to spend some quality time to analyze the Wm1Z with new firmware. Yes, definitely the layering and separations has improved as the transparency level of the whole spectrum has became more crisp and clear. The 1Z appears to be even more neutral than it was with me since before 2.0 firmware.

Soundstage has became wider due to the separation and layering performances which has improved, and also the depth of staging is more pronounced. If before, the depth of stage was deep, and the width was more narrowed. This time, the Depth seems remain the same, but as the transparency and crispness has been improved, together with the wider soundstage, the depth also seems to be improved, but overall I think the depth stays the same. It is just that a lot has been cleared up, the improved of the depth come from the more accurate positioning of the instruments, which comes from the clearer imagines of the whole presentation and together with the Dynamic capability of 1Z, the imagines and cues of positioning is more vivid.

If before all this, the 1Z was slightly warm and approaching Neutral, this time it is ever closer to being Neutral, but the Bass slam is still Authentic, Powerful, the sub bass and deep bass rumbles remains, the mid bass is cleaned up being more dense, punchy, tighter.

How come ? Well, what I observed is mainly the more snappy and speedy mid spectrum and the tightened mid bass.

The mid spectrum used to feel a little sleepy before. Now, Overall speed of the mid spectrum seems to be faster, and awoken, energized. These 2 areas really did clean up the air and space presentations to bring us the improvements, better soundstage, layering, separations.

Trebles, perhap it still remains what it once was, but they cleaned up and a bit more speed did really improve and results into a more airy presentation in trebles tonality and details.

Vocal is still sweet, intimidating, full of emotion

All in all, my favorite in this firmware is that it really did bring more transparency And crispness into the 1Z signature over all. That sub-bass rumbles and explosive mid bass !!! An awesome presentation of bass signature here.

There have been 2 Players, that totally transformed with firmware upgrades, and previously it was Opus 3. However, it wasn’t this obvious and dramatic like the 1Z and 2.0.

Let me just put it in a simple way Wm1z used to be a middle aged romantic gentleman. The 2.0 transformed the 1Z into a younger version of this gentleman. Still gentle, romantic, but more energetic and fun!

**Now, What is that your 1A feel like**

If the 1A was speedy and faster before 2.0, and if the 1Z was the one aimed on this firmware, then how would the 1A be affected ? More airy ? More analytical ? Boring ? Or did it get more resolving with better details

I listend to new 2.0 FW for hour or so last night and only just started back up but would say there is a change and to me first apparent thing was mid bass was more noticeable and prominant than before and overall low range bass tucked in a bit tighter with slightly better control all round of notes which is what the 1A struggled compared to the 1Z for me but feels a little closer to the old 1Z sound in that respect and treble is maybe a little more laid back in the mix and layering and soundstage is tweaked to sound more points and steps to sound delivery timing in the ear making trsnsients more fluid as if your receiving more information come through with more clarity due to this better timing and layering. That is just with my Meze classics as that is my only 4.4 bal cable I have at moment until I get another 4.4 iem cable as my current one the connector has broke on the ear section.

i would say it is still dyamic with a certain amount of the lush 1A sound taken away for a bit more of a neutral balance whilst still having a warm tint still.

Will have to try it SE from here out with all my other gear at the moment.

I can borrow you my 5000 :)
Auditioned Pioneer Master 1 today. Not worth that money, sorry. Tomorrow will be premiere day of new headphones project in which I was taking some part.
Wish you guys will be there with me....

Where the Master1's a new pair?

Most cables are standard size unless you custom order them, what cable is the iem/headphones used for. sorry about the dent, you can always sell it cheap, then get another. kubig123 is very lucky as the benks case shouldn't really be able to withstand that drop.

Sorry, did not mention in that narrrative I usually do order my cables longer but on this occasion was my first 4.4 bal cable which I purchased 2nd hand although it was still new and sealed as I managed to get the cable sent quickly as the wait list at time was six weeks also from the manufacturer. So in short yes I did learn my lesson to be patient and just order my usual extra 4 inches added in to my cables!

Nov 11, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #16,269 of 45,723
from my memory, after update 2.0 my WM1A sounds similar tonally to the fiio X5 3rd gen out of the box (before they ruined the sound quality with updates), but with more detail, depth and soundstage. to me this is an awesome feat

Nov 11, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #16,270 of 45,723
Where the Master1's a new pair?

Master 1 left at shop in Kaunas, Lithuania. Not for my taste. Anyway, guys selling for 1500EUR - good price, I think.
Going for this one (tomorrow will be among first to audition them). OK, to be honest, I auditioned them - my ears was lend for tuning :)

Mara A.jpg

Nov 11, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #16,272 of 45,723
from my memory, after update 2.0 my WM1A sounds similar tonally to the fiio X5 3rd gen out of the box (before they ruined the sound quality with updates), but with more detail, depth and soundstage. to me this is an awesome feat

It is really thinking about it although this might be a double edge sword to this as someone pointed out some might not like it or ot change their fav pairing sound with a certain can/ iem and not everyone is into eq to off set the differences but I think the Sony engineers would of taken their time and knew where they wanted to make gains in improvement to the sound as their primary objective would of just to be how can we make it more accurate and balanced in the right areas without upsetting the overall sound too much, In general from just listening to my Meze I would say it has improved but I'm on the fence a little at the moment until I've run some other cans and iems through it to see how they have changed in their pairing with the 1A.

Master 1 left at shop in Kaunas, Lithuania. Not for my taste. Anyway, guys selling for 1500EUR - good price, I think.
Going for this one (tomorrow will be among first to audition them). OK, to be honest, I auditioned them - my ears was lend for tuning :)

From your other post I read you replying on the Stax I take it you have Stax gear? Which is another level at times anyway and you can be spoilt with them and not realize it.

Not sure what the burn in time was on those shop SE1's then but can only say these are just like the 1A & 1Z you wouldn't beleive how much burning in these need, The changes were just as instersting as the Sony on the way also but only became even more apparent when I heard a pair of these at around 250 hours to one that was 2000+ hours was almost like two different headphones. Even at 500 it was a big shift to 250 hours.

Only talking from exprience on these as I almost dimsissed them once and my other point to note is the SE1 is not the best pairing believe it or not with my 1A, there is something missing on the 1A side in been able to get the best out of the SE1's and it is the only time I have needed to ever do line out to my Vorzuge pure amp which corrects this. The same thing happened with the original Hugo with certain headphones even though they were easy to drive it they would react is if underpowered or anemic and that what was happening with the 1A and the SE1's (and high gain on 1A did not cure this issue either) but I will review that in due course now the 2.0 FW is on there to see if it changes it for the better somehow? I can say the Hugo2 has cured all those headphones I ever heard had issues with the original and can only look at the specs and always knew they had an issue with the first Hugo there. Just strange the 1A is just not getting enough of something to allow the SE1's to sing like I have heard on many other pieces of gear across the board.

Putting elctrostatics aside I think the SE1's are even though not perfect in a couple of areas are a stella pair of cans if hearing a proper burnt in pair with gear that can get the best from them for a dynamic driver can I think they are good as any in their price range and actually can't fathom out where some of these 3-4K cans are making improvments on SQ to a lot of £1500-2K cans I have heard in last year or two.

Those you are looking at tomorrow look like a piece of art and hope they have the sound to match their beuatiful and elegant carved wood design.

Swings and roundabouts this game certainly!

Nov 11, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #16,274 of 45,723
I now have a problem!

MQA. Dang. Expensive :astonished:, but boy oh boy. On carefully crafted modern recordings, the resolution & presence is something else.
Tried
this, as I wanted to see what the fuss was about. Very, very impressed - I have never heard a sound like this through the ER4. Amazing. :scream: :stuck_out_tongue: .

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #16,275 of 45,723
I now have a problem!

MQA. Dang. Expensive :astonished:, but boy oh boy. On carefully crafted modern recordings, the resolution & presence is something else.
Tried
this, as I wanted to see what the fuss was about. Very, very impressed - I have never heard a sound like this through the ER4. Amazing. :scream: :stuck_out_tongue: .

Problem? Not you, just your wallet :) By my opinion, DSD is still better. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back