SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #15,691 of 45,723
wait, are you talking about 1a or 1z? if it's 1A, this is awesome as Hugo2 sells for 2x more than wm1a

I'm hoping Dvdlucena is referring to the 1Z more as I have the 1A next to the Hugo 2 now and much as I love my 1A it is not the same level as the Hugo2 and for me good as the 1Z is the Hugo2 wins again on SQ alone. The Hugo2 may go louder and can take a load now after they learnt from the first Hugo been underpowered but this Hugo2 dac is another level to a lot of dacs costing a lot more and for me ecerything Dvdlucena found 20% agasint the Hugo2 I found the opposite! But like he quite rightly points out YMMV!

They are two very different tools in terms of use anyhow and owning the 1A and using the Hugo2 at the moment I would still love a 1Z if I could!... Reason being the 1Z apart from been a slightly different sig to the 1A been more reference and tonally more nuetral it does show more micro detail and controls notes better and allows better use of the space in the soundstage for everything to operate which is maybe why people do find less of a bigger jump on the 1Z to balanced to the 1A as it's 3,5SE is pretty darn good already with the imaging and soundstage scope. I just could not personally justify the extra to jump to the lovely gold brick bar with other commitments in my life at the moment and quite happy with the 1A as long as I don't comapre them to many more times together that is!

But for me much as I love these Sony's the Hugo is a masterclass dac for the money and makes the original Hugo sterile in comparison with the double tap rate to the oriignal.

But consensus which some have touched upon is Sony have finally started to come back which is true to a degree but still feel there is a lot fo work to go for Sony to be firing all cylinders across their product range but it has been long oveedue but to think it probably started now way back with the ZX1 then ZX2 an F models which where all the leg work to these models now before us. to think I used to be well happy with my old X1060 with mini oled screen! How times have changed in a few years!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #15,692 of 45,723
Audiobooks on Sony NW-WM1A.

20171105_161144.jpg

Nov 5, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #15,693 of 45,723
Nov 5, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #15,694 of 45,723
I need to get the Stephen King Dark Towers for the 1A.

I have that, Deathlands, Smoke Jensen, Pendragon, Ranger's Apprentice, Inheritance series, Harry Potter, and more. The Stand too...Shining...Graphic Audio has voice actors, cinematic music, digital sound effects, and theme songs. A movie in your mind.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #15,695 of 45,723
Old Deathlands, thats another one I used to read! Not really an audiobook listener as such yet but don't get the time to read like I used to so wanted to give audiobooks a try so must be a different and interesting to listen to the books by a narrator on the Walkman ; )

Is there a way to keep audio books seperate from the normal music library at all, just thinking when it is just want to use the Walkman in music mode on shuffle through speakers would be interesting to watch everyone when a book starts getting read to them after a dance track had just been on!?

Nov 5, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #15,696 of 45,723
I just got a listen to the Wm1z. Mind you I've owned the wm1a for only a day but have listened for a mere 4 hrs.

The 1z has more bass and richer... But I can't call it a big upgrade... Resolution I found to be on par with wm1a. The Wm1z has more rich sound but... Not more details.

But I barely owned the wm1a. However, getting to listen to the Wm1z definitely doesn't make me wish or want for it. I don't consider it better. Thr sound different was more of signature difference between the 2 players... But not an upgrade, and definitely not at that price, pffft.

I however do prefer how heavy The wm1z is. I like it to be a brick.

Please be mindful I have wm1a a mere day and wm1z listened to 45 mins. On my most favorite well known tracks.

Nov 5, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #15,697 of 45,723
That is the way it should be, different sound signature. Even engineers from Sony stated it, and confirmed it. The reasons for the 2 versions is for 2 different sound signatures.

1z: it is made for those who fancy the purest and best materials known to Audio worlds, and is also catering, mimicking tubes like sound performances

1a: it is made for those who careless about materials, but want the highest performances possible, and tonality of solid state like performances

In the end, Sony believes they have covered both segments of the market. Is there a real winner ? Not likely, all personal preferences will be the decisive factors.

Also, don’t mind those people who think 1Z is the best, and is obviously better than 1A. Yeah, from Sony own perspective, 1Z is their flagship and is most expensive. It doesn’t mean the 1Z is the winner over 1A though, just better status and expensive pricing from marketing standard point. In the end, you are the one who decides which is to be the winner. End of story

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #15,698 of 45,723
Old Deathlands, thats another one I used to read! Not really an audiobook listener as such yet but don't get the time to read like I used to so wanted to give audiobooks a try so must be a different and interesting to listen to the books by a narrator on the Walkman ; )

Is there a way to keep audio books seperate from the normal music library at all, just thinking when it is just want to use the Walkman in music mode on shuffle through speakers would be interesting to watch everyone when a book starts getting read to them after a dance track had just been on!?

I think only using folder view and putting all authors in music folder under an audiobooks folder. The production at Graphic Audio is amazing. You can go to https://www.graphicaudio.net/deathlands-50-pandora-s-redoubt.html

That's a sample. It's like the old radio theater. Sounds great on good headphones.

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #15,699 of 45,723
I'm hoping Dvdlucena is referring to the 1Z more as I have the 1A next to the Hugo 2 now and much as I love my 1A it is not the same level as the Hugo2 and for me good as the 1Z is the Hugo2 wins again on SQ alone. The Hugo2 may go louder and can take a load now after they learnt from the first Hugo been underpowered but this Hugo2 dac is another level to a lot of dacs costing a lot more and for me ecerything Dvdlucena found 20% agasint the Hugo2 I found the opposite! But like he quite rightly points out YMMV!

They are two very different tools in terms of use anyhow and owning the 1A and using the Hugo2 at the moment I would still love a 1Z if I could!... Reason being the 1Z apart from been a slightly different sig to the 1A been more reference and tonally more nuetral it does show more micro detail and controls notes better and allows better use of the space in the soundstage for everything to operate which is maybe why people do find less of a bigger jump on the 1Z to balanced to the 1A as it's 3,5SE is pretty darn good already with the imaging and soundstage scope. I just could not personally justify the extra to jump to the lovely gold brick bar with other commitments in my life at the moment and quite happy with the 1A as long as I don't comapre them to many more times together that is!

But for me much as I love these Sony's the Hugo is a masterclass dac for the money and makes the original Hugo sterile in comparison with the double tap rate to the oriignal.

But consensus which some have touched upon is Sony have finally started to come back which is true to a degree but still feel there is a lot fo work to go for Sony to be firing all cylinders across their product range but it has been long oveedue but to think it probably started now way back with the ZX1 then ZX2 an F models which where all the leg work to these models now before us. to think I used to be well happy with my old X1060 with mini oled screen! How times have changed in a few years!

Are you shure hugo2 has better dynamics, timbre and nuances than mw1z? What headphones did you use? Please don’t be audeze

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #15,700 of 45,723
That was the question someone was asking you which one you was reffering to?... the 1A or 1Z? so I was summsing more you meant the 1A maybe but yes, I still feel that with even with Hugo2 to the 1Z used in the equation , Senn HD800s & 580 Ovations, Pioneer Master1, Mr. Speaker Ether (open back), Meze Neo & 99C. Sony 7520's, Beyer T1 2nd gen and AKG 812's. Then Iem's, JH16pros, Vibro lab Maya, RHA T20, Grado GR10, Ortofon EQ8.

Pretty much same results everytime for me but for a dap the Z1 is still one of the best out there that has given a boot up the arse of other certain high end dap makers out there (A&K cough) and the Hugo2 and Z1 not a milion miles away from each other on just sound alone. It would be intersting to see Chord do a dap to go toe to toe but Chord don't believe in daps so will never see one so the Hugo is used as a very different tool end of day for me, the 1A I can still stick in pocket and go with high quality music on the go which would be the only down side also on the 1Z as I would still want it to be portable on the go use but that extra weight would drag my pants round my ankles which could be very embarrasing especially as it is getting cold here in the UK now!

Can't say I have tried any Audeze for a long time, don't mind the sound, just the dodgy build quaility has always put me off.

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #15,701 of 45,723
I think only using folder view and putting all authors in music folder under an audiobooks folder. The production at Graphic Audio is amazing. You can go to https://www.graphicaudio.net/deathlands-50-pandora-s-redoubt.html

That's a sample. It's like the old radio theater. Sounds great on good headphones.

Cheers Qaudfather, I think the link is dead when it took me there as no sample as I think I need to sign up to get some free short stories they do on there so will get signed up soon but will purchase/ download one to try anyway as sounds exciting the way it's given the full production values with casts and music to accompany to set the mood and atmosphere will be interesting... just a question which one do I choose?... Thanks for directing me there ; )

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #15,702 of 45,723
Cheers Qaudfather, I think the link is dead when it took me there as no sample as I think I need to sign up to get some free short stories they do on there so will get signed up soon but will purchase/ download one to try anyway as sounds exciting the way it's given the full production values with casts and music to accompany to set the mood and atmosphere will be interesting... just a question which one do I choose?... Thanks for directing me there ; )

Google Graphic Audio. Then go to Browse Series and try smoke Jensen, any book you want, and Deathlands, and there should be samples. Smoke Jensen or Deathlands are great ones to start with. Go with a FLAC download. Sound quality is good. If you want Total action, then I would get the first three to four smoke Jensen books and listen to those. You could also try the first three to five books in the Deathlands series starting at number 1 Pilgrimage to Hell

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #15,703 of 45,723
Google Graphic Audio. Then go to Browse Series and try smoke Jensen, any book you want, and Deathlands, and there should be samples. Smoke Jensen or Deathlands are great ones to start with. Go with a FLAC download. Sound quality is good. If you want Total action, then I would get the first three to four smoke Jensen books and listen to those. You could also try the first three to five books in the Deathlands series starting at number 1 Pilgrimage to Hell

Cheers, I will do that tomorrow when I get home as I am about to go bed been half one in morning in UK! I will try one of the smoke jensons as never read one anyway and also download the first Deathlands book as it will take me back to when I read it in paper form over twenty years ago!

Top of the morning to you and cheers for the enlightining of books on our Walkmans! ; ) (looking forward to it)

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #15,704 of 45,723
Cheers, I will do that tomorrow when I get home as I am about to go bed been half one in morning in UK! I will try one of the smoke jensons as never read one anyway and also download the first Deathlands book as it will take me back to when I read it in paper form over twenty years ago!

Top of the morning to you and cheers for the enlightining of books on our Walkmans! ; ) (looking forward to it)

I fell in love with Deathlands on the fifth book. Ryan Cawdor, J.B. Dix, Doc Tanner, and Kristy Wroth are great characters. Later, Jak Lauren and Mildred Wyeth are awesome.

Nov 6, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #15,705 of 45,723
I just got a listen to the Wm1z. Mind you I've owned the wm1a for only a day but have listened for a mere 4 hrs.

The 1z has more bass and richer... But I can't call it a big upgrade... Resolution I found to be on par with wm1a. The Wm1z has more rich sound but... Not more details.

But I barely owned the wm1a. However, getting to listen to the Wm1z definitely doesn't make me wish or want for it. I don't consider it better. Thr sound different was more of signature difference between the 2 players... But not an upgrade, and definitely not at that price, pffft.

I however do prefer how heavy The wm1z is. I like it to be a brick.

Please be mindful I have wm1a a mere day and wm1z listened to 45 mins. On my most favorite well known tracks.

I think this 1Z or 1A debate will just run and run as both are excellent players. Having owned both players at the same time I knew I preferred the sound signature of the 1Z within about a min of listening. To hear the differences in detail resolution took me a whole lot longer, however I must state that this was with the SE. When I switched to balanced on both it was easier for me to hear a difference. For anyone interested I have posted my comparison findings earlier in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back