SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #15,661 of 45,723
Omg.. That's just too much burn in. I don't even have a balance cable. It is what it is

Just burn it in for at least 48 hours, you'll notice a difference from stock. You can just enjoy it with music normally and avoid thinking of the 'need' to burn it in. It'll happen with use, which is what I'm doing with the single end, sleep burn in, wake up rest 1 hour, listen to music, leave it running if I wanna stop and/or sleep. Repeat. I was just so gung-ho with burning in balanced because I also had to burn in my andromeda and wanted to hear both in their primed states.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #15,662 of 45,723
I recommend this combo :) 20170811_140415.jpg

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #15,663 of 45,723
I remember what i did for burn in was. Let it run for the time i am awake and stop when i sleeps.

Listen to music whenever i want to.
Charge when left 1 bar.
I never leave it on charger and burn in. Once full i just plug out.

About 12-15hrs per day till i reach 200hrs. That would be almost 1 month.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #15,665 of 45,723
I remember what i did for burn in was. Let it run for the time i am awake and stop when i sleeps.

Listen to music whenever i want to.
Charge when left 1 bar.
I never leave it on charger and burn in. Once full i just plug out.

About 12-15hrs per day till i reach 200hrs. That would be almost 1 month.
What ia the nfz function and why would one want to use it on the wm1a

For bluetooth, you can tap the logo to another Bluetooth device with nfc (like a sony Bluetooth speaker or headset) and they automatically pair. Its convenient as you don't have to fiddle with putting one device into pairing mode, search using the wm1a and pair.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #15,666 of 45,723
What ia the nfz function and why would one want to use it on the wm1a

I have a portable bluetooth speaker with NFC.
I just use NFC on WM1A and within 1 sec its paired. It's that fast.

It's for pairing, and trust me, SONY NFC pairing is lightning fast compared to other devices like phone with NFC

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #15,667 of 45,723
I have a portable bluetooth speaker with NFC.
I just use NFC on WM1A and within 1 sec its paired. It's that fast.

It's for pairing, and trust me, SONY NFC pairing is lightning fast compared to other devices like phone with NFC

Awesome thanks

I love this damn thing.... I jut wish I could use it as a dac.... How primitive to not let me use it as dac. My only gripe

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #15,668 of 45,723
Awesome thanks

I love this damn thing.... I jut wish I could use it as a dac.... How primitive to not let me use it as dac. My only gripe

Not primitive at all. The purpose of these players are to be the best dap in the world and nothing else. If you want dac or streaming go buy something else, there are plenty other options on the market with those features.

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #15,669 of 45,723
Not primitive at all. The purpose of these players are to be the best dap in the world and nothing else. If you want dac or streaming go buy something else, there are plenty other options on the market with those features.

Best dap in the world would also let me use its dac

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #15,670 of 45,723

Disagree. Sp1000 is also shooting to be the best DAP in the world and it can manage USB dac and streaming with SQ comparable to the 1z. These are not unreasonable features to expect from a high end dap.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #15,671 of 45,723
Disagree. Sp1000 is also shooting to be the best DAP in the world and it can manage USB dac and streaming with SQ comparable to the 1z. These are not unreasonable features to expect from a high end dap.
There are tradeoffs in every product. Price, feature set, target market, goal. In fact, there are tradeoffs in everything in life. Sony's design choice of a custom OS made some features easy, and other things much harder/impractical.

You are correct, that every buyer, deciding how to use their hard earned money, has a right to expect that the product they decide to purchase will meet ALL their expectations. And if a product is missing essential features that are at the top of a buyers list, then of course that product should be removed from the list of possible products to purchase. Nobody can, or should, dictate what a person should buy. Each person decides what is most important for them, and thus can make the correct decision on what to buy, and what not to buy.

For people who use/need streaming, the WM1x will not meet their needs. People who want a DAP that is very good as a standalone player, and that is what they will value, and use most/all of the time, the WM1x is a good player. For both, there are also other choices on the market, so choose what you will be happy with. It is not that often that we have full control in our choice, so definitely choose what you are happy with.

If the design choices that Sony made in the WM1x do not meet your requirements, then, as in the phrase from Star Wars, "this droid is not the one you are looking for"

giphy.gif

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #15,672 of 45,723
There are tradeoffs in every product. Price, feature set, target market, goal. In fact, there are tradeoffs in everything in life. Sony's design choice of a custom OS made some features easy, and other things much harder/impractical.

You are correct, that every buyer, deciding how to use their hard earned money, has a right to expect that the product they decide to purchase will meet ALL their expectations. And if a product is missing essential features that are at the top of a buyers list, then of course that product should be removed from the list of possible products to purchase. Nobody can, or should, dictate what a person should buy. Each person decides what is most important for them, and thus can make the correct decision on what to buy, and what not to buy.

For people who use/need streaming, the WM1x will not meet their needs. People who want a DAP that is very good as a standalone player, and that is what they will value, and use most/all of the time, the WM1x is a good player. For both, there are also other choices on the market, so choose what you will be happy with. It is not that often that we have full control in our choice, so definitely choose what you are happy with.

If the design choices that Sony made in the WM1x do not meet your requirements, then, as in the phrase from Star Wars, "this droid is not the one you are looking for"

Yeah I get it, I bought the 1z knowing what it can and can’t do. Streaming and USB dac are nice to have features for me, not ‘must haves’. I would like to think however that the totl daps should be aiming to cover the general range of user desired features, and in the current environment streaming is one of the (with tidal etc) and there are plenty of people on this thread that have expressed a desire for sub dac. As mentioned, sp1000 has these features plus good UI, SQ etc but avg battery. So yes no DAP ticks all the boxes as yet, but for the price we drop on these things I want them to. The comment that I was responding to seemed to suggest (my interpretation) that streaming and USB dac should not be a within the scope of what Sony was trying to achieve with these daps, my point is that I disagree and that these features should be within their scope (when creating the worlds best DAP). Anyway my 2c.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #15,673 of 45,723
Yeah I get it, I bought the 1z knowing what it can and can’t do. Streaming and USB dac are nice to have features for me, not ‘must haves’. I would like to think however that the totl daps should be aiming to cover the general range of user desired features, and in the current environment streaming is one of the (with tidal etc) and there are plenty of people on this thread that have expressed a desire for sub dac. As mentioned, sp1000 has these features plus good UI, SQ etc but avg battery. So yes no DAP ticks all the boxes as yet, but for the price we drop on these things I want them to. The comment that I was responding to seemed to suggest (my interpretation) that streaming and USB dac should not be a within the scope of what Sony was trying to achieve with these daps, my point is that I disagree and that these features should be within their scope (when creating the worlds best DAP). Anyway my 2c.
Your expectation sounds logical, that a TOTL product should be able to do everything. Your retroactive disappointment, we sympathize with. I have had similar feelings, when looking at how Sony releases very few firmware upgrades, and almost no feature upgrades for TOTL DAPS, Cameras, etc. I got very upset when told that an expensive MiniDisc player remote control had no warranty, even when new and within the first year.(still the same for remotes, BTW)

But the truth is that "logical/theoretical expectations" have to meet the test of reality. I chose to get the ZX2, and then the WM1x, knowing the Sony weaknesses, and that there were things to be unhappy about. I made the choice based on my requirement that the SQ was the most important, and for that, the Sony was very good, and I preferred it over the others available. I also have their RX100v5 camera. Similiarly, for Apple, I hate their closed system, cannot add memory, hard to move photos, high price, etc. Yet I am using their phone and pad, because I am happy with what the product can do. So yes, I have to focus on what the WM1x can do, and be happy with that. The "should be", "would have been nice" functions that were not there from the start, you just have to treat it as a bonus if they show up. But if they do not, then there is no point in wasting emotions over them. Enjoying what you have, is more important than frustration at what is not there. So don't misunderstand that people who do not complain are just "fan boys". It's more the fact that we have chosen to focus on, and enjoy, what is there. And what is not there, is just something to look forward to on the next iteration, or the other vendor we will switch to to meet our expectations.

Nov 5, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #15,674 of 45,723
Your expectation sounds logical, that a TOTL product should be able to do everything. Your retroactive disappointment, we sympathize with. I have had similar feelings, when looking at how Sony releases very few firmware upgrades, and almost no feature upgrades for TOTL DAPS, Cameras, etc. I got very upset when told that an expensive MiniDisc player remote control had no warranty, even when new and within the first year.(still the same for remotes, BTW)

But the truth is that "logical/theoretical expectations" have to meet the test of reality. I chose to get the ZX2, and then the WM1x, knowing the Sony weaknesses, and that there were things to be unhappy about. I made the choice based on my requirement that the SQ was the most important, and for that, the Sony was very good, and I preferred it over the others available. I also have their RX100v5 camera. Similiarly, for Apple, I hate their closed system, cannot add memory, hard to move photos, high price, etc. Yet I am using their phone and pad, because I am happy with what the product can do. So yes, I have to focus on what the WM1x can do, and be happy with that. The "should be", "would have been nice" functions that were not there from the start, you just have to treat it as a bonus if they show up. But if they do not, then there is no point in wasting emotions over them. Enjoying what you have, is more important than frustration at what is not there. So don't misunderstand that people who do not complain are just "fan boys". It's more the fact that we have chosen to focus on, and enjoy, what is there. And what is not there, is just something to look forward to on the next iteration, or the other vendor we will switch to to meet our expectations.

I agree with everything you have said but I have not been disappointed at all with the 1z since the moment I bought it. Out of all my audio gear: 1z, tia Fourte, i4 and WA8 I love the 1z the most. No buyers remorse at all with me re 1z. So I am not frustrated at all with the product, but it has room for improvement. I would like to see the next iteration of the Sony premier DAP have these features, but I don’t expect them with the 1z as they have released the product to the market without them. I am completely ok with that.

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #15,675 of 45,723
To anyone that use Zeus XR with 1A/1Z. Is the bass anemic/non existence? What about subbass?

I have thought of getting Zeus, but the thought of nonexistent / lack of bass keep me away

Also, at higher volume, does the sound kinda breaks? That's rumor I heard, not sure if it's true

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back