SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #15,676 of 45,723
Yeah I get it, I bought the 1z knowing what it can and can’t do. Streaming and USB dac are nice to have features for me, not ‘must haves’. I would like to think however that the totl daps should be aiming to cover the general range of user desired features, and in the current environment streaming is one of the (with tidal etc) and there are plenty of people on this thread that have expressed a desire for sub dac. As mentioned, sp1000 has these features plus good UI, SQ etc but avg battery. So yes no DAP ticks all the boxes as yet, but for the price we drop on these things I want them to. The comment that I was responding to seemed to suggest (my interpretation) that streaming and USB dac should not be a within the scope of what Sony was trying to achieve with these daps, my point is that I disagree and that these features should be within their scope (when creating the worlds best DAP). Anyway my 2c.

I did not say that those features SHOULD NOT be part of a design spec, I just said that they were not part of Sonys design spec and I for one am perfectly happy that they were not but that Sony focused entirely on the dap part (which to me means playing on board stored files and nothing else).

I fully understand that many want those features and that is fine but then they should look elsewhere instead of spending time complaining that these particular players dont have those features as the fact is Sony did not want them on these players.

I have no idea if the hardware can do usb dac, but if it can it is a possibillity that Sony in the future might do a fw update to include that feature. Since there is no wifi hardware build in (that we know of) streaming is never gonna happen.

Nov 5, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #15,677 of 45,723
I did not say that those features SHOULD NOT be part of a design spec, I just said that they were not part of Sonys design spec and I for one am perfectly happy that they were not but that Sony focused entirely on the dap part (which to me means playing on board stored files and nothing else).

I fully understand that many want those features and that is fine but then they should look elsewhere instead of spending time complaining that these particular players dont have those features as the fact is Sony did not want them on these players.

I have no idea if the hardware can do usb dac, but if it can it is a possibillity that Sony in the future might do a fw update to include that feature. Since there is no wifi hardware build in (that we know of) streaming is never gonna happen.

It'd be a stroke of luck for owners IF the hardware is capable AND Sony decides to make it available. Otherwise, it'll be a new flagship dap with dac in the future.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #15,678 of 45,723
From the looks of their fierce attack with their wireless headphones, I am sure SONY will go all the way to compete in sound quality and functions in the future.

I would think the WM1 series is just the beginning.

Also SONY have been making profits recent years with their fierce comeback of their products. SONY is gaining momentum i would say.

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #15,679 of 45,723
People get so butthurt nowadays...

Anyway, I guess I'll wait on that update,

On another hand, I wish there were more in depth sound comparison the Wm1z. I've read all there Is to read about the wm1a to 1z comparison and it seems therm are slightly different in signatures but not a significant leap forward... This is jut what reviews say... I'd like more *real world * answers from you guys.

Is it me or the latest trends in reading reviews are (everything sounds good it's just preference go get one yourself?)

As someone without a music store reviews for me are a buying guide.... And you can return to Amazon only so many times until it becomes ridiculous.

I like this wm1a tho. Way more than I thought. I also accept its lack of dac/amp use, while to me that feels handicapped I still appreciate its *pure sound * approach. But I suppose you can call me a little butthurt about it. Is all

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #15,680 of 45,723

On another hand, I wish there were more in depth sound comparison the Wm1z. I've read all there Is to read about the wm1a to 1z comparison and it seems therm are slightly different in signatures but not a significant leap forward... This is jut what reviews say... I'd like more *real world * answers from you guys.

Is it me or the latest trends in reading reviews are (everything sounds good it's just preference go get one yourself?)

As someone without a music store reviews for me are a buying guide.... And you can return to Amazon only so many times until it becomes ridiculous.

I like this wm1a tho. Way more than I thought. I also accept its lack of dac/amp use, while to me that feels handicapped I still appreciate its *pure sound * approach. But I suppose you can call me a little butthurt about it. Is all

From the short time I compared the z with an a, I'd say the majoy difference is warmth, a bit more energy, music seems livelier and there was more power in the music, like you were there (cliche I think) but I prefer the 1a (budget constraints vs minimal for me, gain) plus its a bit more reference in output that you can easily tailor the sound via tuning or leave it as it is and hear "what the artist intended" which I don't think you'd get on the 1z.just my opinon, dont shoot me (runs away)

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #15,681 of 45,723

There are no in deep comparisons for a simple reason. Most members here cannot afford both at the same time. And the one's that buy the golden brick, even start to open it and begin to manipulate the UBER sound they bought. To make it even more whatever you might call it, I am missing the word for that.
Simply put the WM1A is a superb DAP, the WM1Z is the same but different.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #15,682 of 45,723
From the short time I compared the z with an a, I'd say the majoy difference is warmth, a bit more energy, music seems livelier and there was more power in the music, like you were there (cliche I think) but I prefer the 1a (budget constraints vs minimal for me, gain) plus its a bit more reference in output that you can easily tailor the sound via tuning or leave it as it is and hear "what the artist intended" which I don't think you'd get on the 1z.just my opinon, dont shoot me (runs away)
Nice description for the 1Z/1A. I think both players are at a level, where it is not possible to talk about them, except as a system. That is a compliment to the DAP that it is not restricting the system, so the rest of the system will have a chance to show through. Every different IEM/Headphone <-> cable <-> Plug (4.4mm, 3.5 TRS/TRRS) that you use will affect the SQ, for better or for worse. So how to rate which one is better, when there are so many differences in each persons system? If the whole system is good, and complimenting each other, the result is magic. But the differences are very, very small. How much is a small difference worth? To some, nothing, and to others, it is priceless.

For me, the 1Z is more able to let emotion come through. Some people will hate this subjective description, but that is what I value in it. If a singer communicates their sorrow with the song, or a concerto pulls you into the music, and you are feeling the flow of the music. Not listening, feeling....how much is that worth? For me, I believe the 1Z is more capable than the 1A in these respects. But all very system dependent. I did own the WM1A for about 2 1/2 months, coming from the ZX2. I decided on the 1A, as there was just a small difference when I auditioned both. And the 1Z was just not worth that much extra cost, and it was a 1 lb brick, which was just too heavy to carry. And I did not like the idea of carrying around a gold colored brick.

Then, after a happy couple of months with the 1A, I was overcome with a fit of irrational madness, and sold the 1A and bought the 1Z.

So, unfortunately, I have no answers. Each person will have to evaluate, and decide for themselves.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #15,683 of 45,723
Nice description for the 1Z/1A. I think both players are at a level, where it is not possible to talk about them, except as a system. That is a compliment to the DAP that it is not restricting the system, so the rest of the system will have a chance to show through. Every different IEM/Headphone <-> cable <-> Plug (4.4mm, 3.5 TRS/TRRS) that you use will affect the SQ, for better or for worse. So how to rate which one is better, when there are so many differences in each persons system? If the whole system is good, and complimenting each other, the result is magic. But the differences are very, very small. How much is a small difference worth? To some, nothing, and to others, it is priceless.

For me, the 1Z is more able to let emotion come through. Some people will hate this subjective description, but that is what I value in it. If a singer communicates their sorrow with the song, or a concerto pulls you into the music, and you are feeling the flow of the music. Not listening, feeling....how much is that worth? For me, I believe the 1Z is more capable than the 1A in these respects. But all very system dependent. I did own the WM1A for about 2 1/2 months, coming from the ZX2. I decided on the 1A, as there was just a small difference when I auditioned both. And the 1Z was just not worth that much extra cost, and it was a 1 lb brick, which was just too heavy to carry. And I did not like the idea of carrying around a gold colored brick.

Then, after a happy couple of months with the 1A, I was overcome with a fit of irrational madness, and sold the 1A and bought the 1Z.

So, unfortunately, I have no answers. Each person will have to evaluate, and decide for themselves.

I heard (not tried, since i tested both a and z using the balanced plugs with an abdromeda and thor ii wires) that single end on the 1z is only a bit 'less' than balanced, whereas the single vs balanced on the 1a is a big leap.

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #15,684 of 45,723
I had tested the 1Z recently imat SONY store. 500hrs burn in.

1Z just have a bit more of everything to make it more realistic than 1A.

1A is like you are watching a live performance.

1Z is like you are in the live performance.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #15,685 of 45,723
I heard (not tried, since i tested both a and z using the balanced plugs with an abdromeda and thor ii wires) that single end on the 1z is only a bit 'less' than balanced, whereas the single vs balanced on the 1a is a big leap.
I cannot comment, as I had already switched to the 4.4mm on the 1A, so getting the 1Z, I did not spend any time on the 3.5. Unless the 3.5 is better, there is no point, especially as over time, all the cables are reterminated to 4.4mm. However, it does not make sense to me why the 1Z would be different from the 1A. The cap and wire differences on the 1Z should give the same difference(or more) from 3.5 to Balanced as seen on the 1A, not less, locigally speaking. But it is a moot point, unless there is a reason to spend more time on the 3.5. Which there is not.

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #15,686 of 45,723
I cannot comment, as I had already switched to the 4.4mm on the 1A, so getting the 1Z, I did not spend any time on the 3.5. Unless the 3.5 is better, there is no point, especially as over time, all the cables are reterminated to 4.4mm. However, it does not make sense to me why the 1Z would be different from the 1A. The cap and wire differences on the 1Z should give the same difference(or more) from 3.5 to Balanced as seen on the 1A, not less, locigally speaking. But it is a moot point, unless there is a reason to spend more time on the 3.5. Which there is not.

I got over ears that dont have detachable cables and ones that are single plugged that cant be re-terminated to balanced unless the left wires and right wires are separated (as opposed to joining both side grounds into a single end config, someone warned me, that can wreck the player [if you ground both balanced negatives into a 3 pole config to accommodate just 3 wires], whether it's right or wrong I'm not sure)

That and most new headsets/iems are not terminated to 4.4mm or have balanced cables out of the box, but I'd still have to audition them so single end is still of use to me.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #15,687 of 45,723
I own a WM1Z and a Hugo 2, for a while also a Mojo that I sold at the beginning of the year.

The Hugo 2 outperform the WM1Z but on the other side it's quite big to travel with, I use it as my desk dac connected to my MacBook Pro, while for traveling without any doubt I prefer the WM1Z, it has more storage than any smartphone and the battery can last for over 20 hours, you'll never get the same performance using a smartphone and a mojo/Hugo.
Can you be
I have both, but I use them completely differently. Not sure what sort of comparison can be made.
yeah, they are different. But some people and I included that heard both, seems to find Sony 1z a better dac... but I just used them for 60-90 min.... and searching for owners impressions
What do you think?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #15,688 of 45,723
Yeah that's the consensus I've gathered. And thanks for the info on Hugo 2, couldn't find anything on that. By how far of a margin would you say the Hugo 2's performance exceeds WM1A? So far that battery life in one package is a damn great deal.

Yeah I hear that a lot about smartphones. I sometimes use that in the car but I mostly use the mojo with my laptop.
I heard both, but only for 1 hour with utopia. Hugo 2 plays louder, but for me Sony had more detail, better separation, better instrument sound realism and much much p better dinamics. I would say 20 % better than hugo2. I was using focal utopia only. YMMV
Sony did a great job!

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #15,689 of 45,723
I got over ears that dont have detachable cables and ones that are single plugged that cant be re-terminated to balanced unless the left wires and right wires are separated (as opposed to joining both side grounds into a single end config, someone warned me, that can wreck the player [if you ground both balanced negatives into a 3 pole config to accommodate just 3 wires], whether it's right or wrong I'm not sure)

That and most new headsets/iems are not terminated to 4.4mm or have balanced cables out of the box, but I'd still have to audition them so single end is still of use to me.

I recently did try 3.5 TRS, with an Acoustune HS1551cu. I used the stock cable with 3.5 TRS for a while. I never reterminated it, and when I switched to a different cable with 4.4mm, that resulted in new cable and connectors, and balanced. So I liked the sound better on 4.4, but how much was due to the cable, and how much the balanced output, I don't know. I could try with the Dita Truth cable with the interchangeable plugs, which I have, but I've been too lazy to explore that. Something like the Dita is probably the best way to evaluate, as nothing is changing except the plug, so any difference would be due to the different plug, and of course the different output section from the DAP.

Nov 5, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #15,690 of 45,723
I heard both, but only for 1 hour with utopia. Hugo 2 plays louder, but for me Sony had more detail, better separation, better instrument sound realism and much much p better dinamics. I would say 20 % better than hugo2. I was using focal utopia only. YMMV
Sony did a great job!

wait, are you talking about 1a or 1z? if it's 1A, this is awesome as Hugo2 sells for 2x more than wm1a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back