SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #15,451 of 45,723
i am intrigued to try out wm1z and also leaning on going to a local sony shop and auditioning the wm1z

still 2000 euros for a dap - this is probably too much for my extra limited budget

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #15,452 of 45,723
i am intrigued to try out wm1z and also leaning on going to a local sony shop and auditioning the wm1z

still 2000 euros for a dap - this is probably too much for my extra limited budget

The problem you will have is that you are used to the 1A - and unless the 1Z you listen to has got the requisite mileage on it, you'll probably not hear a vast difference :frowning2:

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #15,453 of 45,723
I don't understand the hostility that some you guys have against the LPG. LPG came out 3 years back, and it's resolution is still among the best. 1Z has a larger stage and better spatial separation. But LPG has a more accurate instrument timbre and note dynamics.

If you didn't like the LPG with a certain IEM, then probabaly it's your matter of taste/preference. I know a couple of people who actually adore the LPG+SE5 combo. In terms of technicalities, LPG is still up there in the top tier. If you prefer a certain DAP that you own, that is well and good. There is no need to trash another player to feel good about what you own.

If you don't understand the hype behind the LPG, here are 2 facts; the little device has a powerful amp, that can drive the HD800 directly and it has a kick-ass PMEQ. If you don't like to engage EQ and prefer the direct sound, well and good again. But please keep in mind, that's just your philosophy. There are many people who like to take advantage of a good EQ. If you have an IEM that you adore in every way, and it sounds like it was made just for you, except for a nasty peak in the treble, you could kill that peak using a EQ.

LPG Output Power: 500mW

Cheers.

large.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #15,454 of 45,723
I totally agree with you on that LPG is a better player when paired with 70% of the popular TOTL IEM's out there on the market. This is due to the fact that brands like JH, UE, Shure, Westone, even audio-technica make stage monitors, which are often darker (read less treble) than neutral. With a boosted treble, LPG brings "air" and "timber" to these IEM. This is the case with SE5Way, as I have auditioned this exact pairing.

But when paired with IEM or heaphones that are actually neutral, usually those designed with serving audiophiles in mind, LPG becomes overly bright (read too much treble). The "accurate instrument timbre and note dynamics" becomes splashiness or "digital glare". This is the case, for example, with my UM Mentor and HD800S, which I consider close to neutral.

Another variable would be one's hearing. People with declined hearing would usually prefer brighter players and IEMs, like Ocharaku, some ALO's, K3003, etc.

I agree with you. Does someone knows about a IEM that provides a flat, neutral response when paired with the 1Z? The feature am looking for is for a headphone that "disappears" and let me listen to the DAP in its purest dimension

I've been doing some research for a pair of headphones to pair with the 1Z and most of the reviews from the brands you listed mention u's and v's response shapes with sparkly yet inoffensive treble.

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #15,455 of 45,723
I agree with you. Does someone knows about a IEM that provides a flat, neutral response when paired with the 1Z? The feature am looking for is for a headphone that "disappears" and let me listen to the DAP in its purest dimension

Oh yes - easy. Etymotic ER4XR. However (why does there always need to be a caveat?), You need to invest a little time and a little effort to find the right eartips for your ears, and get used to their fit and feel. Get over these hurdles, and the sound (through balanced at least) is as close to letting the player be the player as you are likely to get without spending an awful lot of money. I swear by (not at) my etys; they are the one thing that has been consistent in my setup for 12 years. Although I use the ER4P, I auditioned the ER4XR for two weeks on a @ClieOS cable, and I know they are the missing link that I will eventually close.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #15,456 of 45,723

Oh yes - easy. Etymotic ER4XR. However (why does there always need to be a caveat?), You need to invest a little time and a little effort to find the right eartips for your ears, and get used to their fit and feel. Get over these hurdles, and the sound (through balanced at least) is as close to letting the player be the player as you are likely to get without spending an awful lot of money. I swear by (not at) my etys; they are the one thing that has been consistent in my setup for 12 years. Although I use the ER4P, I auditioned the ER4XR for two weeks on a @ClieOS cable, and I know they are the missing link that I will eventually close.

Excellent, and their price range is great, thanks for the advice!

Does the ER4XR accept universal-fit tips or do I need to get tips from other Etymotic models?

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #15,457 of 45,723

Does the ER4XR accept universal-fit tips or do I need to get tips from other Etymotic models?

The Ety's have their own tips.There are also however, unofficial third party ones that work for some people (I use a third party tip). Alternatively, you can get custom in-ear moulds made. I believe @ledzep has gone this route. If you go the custom route though, it is essential that you use someone who understands that these things go deep. Ask around the ER4 thread for reccommendations.....

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #15,458 of 45,723
It’s there for me between 100 and 120 on high gain with Z1R (well beyond max listening volume). It’s not a click like the relays but sort of a very weak pop for each level up or down in the actual sound stream
Yup i got this at those volume on Andro also

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #15,459 of 45,723

Tried loads of tips on the XR's and eventually settled on snugs custom moulds, yes not cheap at £190 but they are without a doubt worth every penny and can be in my ears all day with no problems and offer perfect isolation and make the XR's sound imo outstanding and coupled up with the plusound X8 tri metal cable on 4.4mm makes me so anti social at work as all I want to do is listen all day to music and not be bothered by people wanting to talk ( the Sony remote comes in handy if I must talk).

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #15,460 of 45,723
Tried loads of tips on the XR's and eventually settled on snugs custom moulds, yes not cheap at £190 but they are without a doubt worth every penny and can be in my ears all day with no problems and offer perfect isolation and make the XR's sound imo outstanding and coupled up with the plusound X8 tri metal cable on 4.4mm makes me so anti social at work as all I want to do is listen all day to music and not be bothered by people wanting to talk ( the Sony remote comes in handy if I must talk).

I will PM you to ask more info about those custom moulds, if you don't mind.... and let the thread keep going

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #15,461 of 45,723

I've been doing some research for a pair of headphones to pair with the 1Z and most of the reviews from the brands you listed mention u's and v's response shapes with sparkly yet inoffensive treble.

IMO the most neutral IEM with top-notch SQ out there is the Shure 1500. UM Mentor is very close, but with slightly less mids. 1964 U10, QDC8 and Tralucent 1+2 also came to my mind. They are pretty neutral when you are listening indoor.
If listening outdoor more often, I would appreciate something with a little extra bass. To me that's Beyer Xelento.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #15,462 of 45,723
There was a discussion over clicking of the WM series, more particularly over the volume change click.

Perhaps are the buttons them selves when you press and release them?

No, it's not the buttons. It happens when using the remote control also.

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #15,463 of 45,723
I was listening to some remastered recording of Bach Magdalena notebook (Mario videla) and wow hearing sounds I never heard before and the enveloping stage, how addictive is WM series sound

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #15,464 of 45,723
I hope that won't happen to me if I already have the 1a. lol

If you aren't easily satisfied, the journey may never end :p

I had ended my journey currently with WM1A + Leonidas + Andromeda + Symbio W tips.

I might upgrade when next series of Signature Players are out.

We have a similar setup, WM1A + Thor II + Andromeda + Comply Tips. Seems to be satisfactory to me for the long haul :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back