SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #15,436 of 45,723
Dude, are you serious? All I see is the 10-Band Graphic Equalizer. How do it activate the PMEQ?
Ok, you are correct. The WM1 has only a lousy 10 band EQ, not parametric. As I prefer listening to music instead of fiddling with things on a mini screen, I do not even use the one that I have.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #15,441 of 45,723
There was a discussion over clicking of the WM series, more particularly over the volume change click.

Perhaps are the buttons them selves when you press and release them? ;D i don't get any click sound when changing volume, i went all the way up to 120 and down and up between 100 and 120 and no click

I only hear click when A) cliock frequency changes B) leaving it on stand-by for 30s or waking it up from sleep mode C) when pluggin or unplugging HPs

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #15,442 of 45,723
There was a discussion over clicking of the WM series, more particularly over the volume change click.

Perhaps are the buttons them selves when you press and release them? ;D i don't get any click sound when changing volume, i went all the way up to 120 and down and up between 100 and 120 and no click

I only hear click when A) cliock frequency changes B) leaving it on stand-by for 30s or waking it up from sleep mode C) when pluggin or unplugging HPs

It’s there for me between 100 and 120 on high gain with Z1R (well beyond max listening volume). It’s not a click like the relays but sort of a very weak pop for each level up or down in the actual sound stream

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #15,443 of 45,723
I don't understand the hostility that some you guys have against the LPG. LPG came out 3 years back, and it's resolution is still among the best. 1Z has a larger stage and better spatial separation. But LPG has a more accurate instrument timbre and note dynamics.

If you didn't like the LPG with a certain IEM, then probabaly it's your matter of taste/preference. I know a couple of people who actually adore the LPG+SE5 combo. In terms of technicalities, LPG is still up there in the top tier. If you prefer a certain DAP that you own, that is well and good. There is no need to trash another player to feel good about what you own.

If you don't understand the hype behind the LPG, here are 2 facts; the little device has a powerful amp, that can drive the HD800 directly and it has a kick-ass PMEQ. If you don't like to engage EQ and prefer the direct sound, well and good again. But please keep in mind, that's just your philosophy. There are many people who like to take advantage of a good EQ. If you have an IEM that you adore in every way, and it sounds like it was made just for you, except for a nasty peak in the treble, you could kill that peak using a EQ.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #15,445 of 45,723
I don't understand the hostility that some you guys have against the LPG. LPG came out 3 years back, and it's resolution is still among the best. 1Z has a larger stage and better spatial separation. But LPG has a more accurate instrument timbre and note dynamics.

If you didn't like the LPG with a certain IEM, then probabaly it's your matter of taste/preference. I know a couple of people who actually adore the LPG+SE5 combo. In terms of technicalities, LPG is still up there in the top tier. If you prefer a certain DAP that you own, that is well and good. There is no need to trash another player to feel good about what you own.

If you don't understand the hype behind the LPG, here are 2 facts; the little device has a powerful amp, that can drive the HD800 directly and it has a kick-ass PMEQ. If you don't like to engage EQ and prefer the direct sound, well and good again. But please keep in mind, that's just your philosophy. There are many people who like to take advantage of a good EQ. If you have an IEM that you adore in every way, and it sounds like it was made just for you, except for a nasty peak in the treble, you could kill that peak using a EQ.

I totally agree with you on that LPG is a better player when paired with 70% of the popular TOTL IEM's out there on the market. This is due to the fact that brands like JH, UE, Shure, Westone, even audio-technica make stage monitors, which are often darker (read less treble) than neutral. With a boosted treble, LPG brings "air" and "timber" to these IEM. This is the case with SE5Way, as I have auditioned this exact pairing.

But when paired with IEM or heaphones that are actually neutral, usually those designed with serving audiophiles in mind, LPG becomes overly bright (read too much treble). The "accurate instrument timbre and note dynamics" becomes splashiness or "digital glare". This is the case, for example, with my UM Mentor and HD800S, which I consider close to neutral.

Another variable would be one's hearing. People with declined hearing would usually prefer brighter players and IEMs, like Ocharaku, some ALO's, K3003, etc.

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #15,446 of 45,723
I disagree my note 4 with se5ult is very close to lpg +se5ult and after 1h with dsd in my pocket I can make scramble eggs (68'c ) soundstage very narrow it was terrible experience with mdr ex1000 and piano forte x-g iny opinion the most overrated dap in audio history :)

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #15,447 of 45,723
I totally agree with you on that LPG is a better player when paired with 70% of the popular TOTL IEM's out there on the market. This is due to the fact that brands like JH, UE, Shure, Westone, even audio-technica make stage monitors, which are often darker (read less treble) than neutral. With a boosted treble, LPG brings "air" and "timber" to these IEM. This is the case with SE5Way, as I have auditioned this exact pairing.

But when paired with IEM or heaphones that are actually neutral, usually those designed with serving audiophiles in mind, LPG becomes overly bright (read too much treble). The "accurate instrument timbre and note dynamics" becomes splashiness or "digital glare". This is the case, for example, with my UM Mentor and HD800S, which I consider close to neutral.

Another variable would be one's hearing. People with declined hearing would usually prefer brighter players and IEMs, like Ocharaku, some ALO's, K3003, etc.

Agreed. This is one of the reasons why I purchased the 1Z as my Zeus sounds a bit bright with the LPG.

Ah man, that's a bummer. I was looking forward to pairing HD800S with the LPG.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #15,448 of 45,723
I disagree my note 4 with se5ult is very close to lpg +se5ult and after 1h with dsd in my pocket I can make scramble eggs (68'c ) soundstage very narrow it was terrible experience with mdr ex1000 and piano forte x-g iny opinion the most overrated dap in audio history :)

Fair enough. I can't comment on the Note4 and SE5 as I don't own either. But as for the EX1000, it is a well know fact that the IEM itself falls on the bright side. So the player alone is not to be blamed. And IMO, LPG is one of the best DAPs in the audio history.

And with that I'll stop defending LPG and let the thread get back on topic.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #15,449 of 45,723
Oct 29, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #15,450 of 45,723
how is zeus with 1z ?

Lol, I just made a post on the EE thread about how wonderfully the Zeus pairs with the 1Z. Like I said in one of my posts, if I could afford to own 2 DAPs, I'd not be selling the 1Z.

If anyone is planning on retiring from the hobby and is looking for an end-game portable solution, 1Z is something to really consider as it possesses some of the desired characteristics such as; a large soundstage, good separation, nice bass dynamics, warm euphonic sound and is quite forgiving. And all these features work in favor for the pairing with the Zeus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back