SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #15,422 of 45,723
Woa, you would go as far to add additional Capacitors ? In parrallel or what ? I wouldn’t touch anything on the hard-components beside the wires. Because doing so, will essentially transform the Wm1Z into something else, and no longer Sony signature move anymore. Wires upgrade ? Now there are a whole lot of reason to do it. If I would swap out any hard-components, I would rather sell the 1Z and buy something else :D

Not to criticize anyone, but let me ask. How does a copper foil provide shielding to “any chips” without “proper grounding” ? You do know that Metal, and or Metal foil, without proper grounding, instead of acting as a shield, can act as an antenna ? The best way to provide additional shielding is to Copper foil on the back of the black plastic casing and connect the foil to the main chassis, but leave the space for Bluetooth antenna to send signal through. However, doing this will decrease the Bluetooth antenna range. Ultimate way to do this would be to completely take out Bluetooth antenna, and NFC antenna. Then custom mill a CNC Copper-Gold Plated back plating, then screw it on.

From an electronic point the copper foil is not touching any metal part so it is like an umbrella to keep RF radiation spreading to other components. It is more like a Wi-Fi shielding where you cannot receive phone call in elevators.

So it does not require any grounding as it blocks not the electric current but signal radiation.

Oct 28, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #15,423 of 45,723
It is quite common even big brand manufacturers do not care about the internal radiation of each components. Manufacturer thinks it's the job of component producer to take care of radiation.

But a component producer don't care if you used its components in a 100usd radio or a 2000usd hi-res player.

The result is you will get a good player with a lot of internally radiation affected components. So simply saying it is 80-95% of what the perfection is.

That's why for many years, this shielding mod has saved some even highly priced hi-fi products.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #15,424 of 45,723
I want the NW-WM1Z! I think I will be happy with my Shure SRH1540 and Audioquest Nighthawks in balanced. Surf cables. I love the NW-WM1A, but...the itch begins!

Oct 28, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #15,425 of 45,723
I am selling my Lotoo Paw Gold after a month of living with both.

LPG's advantage over WM1Z: fast UI, fast power on/off, fast file transfer. I need confirmation from somebody that WM1Z will work with the 400GB micro SD card!

WM1Z's advantage over LPG: One complaint I have with the LPG is that treble from the headphone jack is way too bright. Still I would recommend LPG over WM1Z if one is using JH, Shure, Westone, etc. the usual TOTL dark-sounding stage monitors, but to pair with my collection of headphones, I'd prefer something more neutral. Line out from LPG doesn't have that problem though. The tuning of WM1Z on the other hand is amazing. Very neutral and balanced, yet full of emotion and body. As a plus, WM1Z's soundstage is wider and deeper than that of LPG.

Oct 28, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #15,426 of 45,723

LPG's advantage over WM1Z: fast UI, fast power on/off, fast file transfer. I need confirmation from somebody that WM1Z will work with the 400GB micro SD card!

WM1Z's advantage over LPG: One complaint I have with the LPG is that treble from the headphone jack is way too bright. Still I would recommend LPG over WM1Z if one is using JH, Shure, Westone, etc. the usual TOTL dark-sounding stage monitors, but to pair with my collection of headphones, I'd prefer something more neutral. Line out from LPG doesn't have that problem though. The tuning of WM1Z on the other hand is amazing. Very neutral and balanced, yet full of emotion and body. As a plus, WM1Z's soundstage is wider and deeper than that of LPG.

You are right on the point LPG is overly bright in sound that I think it is good only to defeat other in player contest. In real life we don't need too sharp too high treble which makes ears too tired.

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #15,427 of 45,723
Oct 28, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #15,428 of 45,723
What full size headphone specifically are you after ? 1Z works fine with many full size phones.

I use my Sony NW-WM1A with Audioquest Nighthawks and Shure SRH1540 using balanced Surf cables in both cases. Sounds great.

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #15,429 of 45,723
What full size headphone specifically are you after ? 1Z works fine with many full size phones.

I am thinking about the HD800S, because I've had comfort issues with full size headphones before and the 800 is one of the comfortable full-size HPs out there. Also one other reason I am sticking with the LPG over the 1Z is the Parametric EQ on the LPG.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #15,430 of 45,723

Hi Edric Li.
I can confirm that the 400gb SD card work! And a bit faster than previous SD cards too!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #15,431 of 45,723
I want the NW-WM1Z! I think I will be happy with my Shure SRH1540 and Audioquest Nighthawks in balanced. Surf cables. I love the NW-WM1A, but...the itch begins!
You might want to try the new Sennheiser HD660S. It has upgraded drivers and comes with a 4.4 mm Pentagon balanced cable. Have it since some time now and must say it pairs wonderful with the WM1A.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #15,432 of 45,723
I am thinking about the HD800S, because I've had comfort issues with full size headphones before and the 800 is one of the comfortable full-size HPs out there. Also one other reason I am sticking with the LPG over the 1Z is the Parametric EQ on the LPG.
You know that the WM1Z has a parametric EQ, don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back