SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #10,726 of 45,723
rushofblood I busted out laughing when I saw the pics of you tinkering inside the player and changing out wires haha you really are a very brave man. It kind of worries me that you say the Kimber kables are holding it back though. I bought the Sony/Kimber balanced 4.4mm cable found here:

SONY Headphone cable MUC-M12SB1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3TK66F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sUP1ybR8Z3DTD

They've already arrived and they look beautiful and I connected to my brand new CA Vega's. Just waiting for my player before listening. So you think I could get an audible improvement by buying something else instead?

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #10,727 of 45,723
rushofblood I busted out laughing when I saw the pics of you tinkering inside the player and changing out wires haha you really are a very brave man. It kind of worries me that you say the Kimber kables are holding it back though. I bought the Sony/Kimber balanced 4.4mm cable found here:

SONY Headphone cable MUC-M12SB1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3TK66F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sUP1ybR8Z3DTD

They've already arrived and they look beautiful and I connected to my brand new CA Vega's. Just waiting for my player before listening. So you think I could get an audible improvement by buying something else instead?

I would love to hear it too...but I can see why you would say that the kimble cable is holding it back....heck, I think that the kimble cable performs even worse than my dhc type 2 litz fusion....

Btw, @rushofblood what cable did you put into the 1Z?

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #10,728 of 45,723
Oh cool, that gives me hope then. Thanks for the information.

Welcome--hope it arrives soon! 
smily_headphones1.gif

After speaking with a regular staff and then a supposed supervisor, I realize that many parts of Amazon are very unprofessional and yes, they are full of BS. 

Agree; while there have definitely been many times I feel the service was exceptional, there have also definitely been some What moments with them.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #10,729 of 45,723
After all the fun of the past many pages talking about the warranty and who can sell what were, I checked on the Sony.com website and guess who the only company listed under "Where to buy" on the NW-WM1Z page? Yep, it's Amazon...

http://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1z/buy?retailers=QW1hem9u

Now strangely, it says "Pre-order online from Amazon" and then when you click on the "Shop Now" button it takes you to an Amazon page (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KL958RY?ie=UTF8&tag=sonyelect08-20) that says the 1Z is "Currently unavailable". Hmm...

I know TSAVJason has said that Sony had no plans to sell the Signature Series via Amazon (I'm guessing that was referencing the US), but then wonder why they have the Amazon link (and only the Amazon link) on their 1Z page? Weird. Wouldn't surprise me if they just never updated that page. Such changes seem to take forever, hence the big delay on releasing the 1A in the US (which some retailers have had in their stock but unable to sell for something like a few months now).

And if full disclosure, I bought my 1Z from Jason, as I knew that TSAV was an authorized Sony Signature retailer. If you go into the "Sony Authorized Dealer Directory" he's right there - THE SOURCE AV DESIGN GROUP. Jason's a good guy, and huge supporter of the hobby, and I personally like that he has an opinion.

Cheers

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #10,730 of 45,723
While my IEM stable has evolved over the years (of note: TF10, JVC fx700, now CA Andromeda), the wm1a was my first significant source/dac/dap upgrade in quite a while.  My previous dap's outside of my iPhone 5s were Nationite N2, Sansa Clip, and most recently Xduoo X3.  My desktop setup is a Yulong D100 mkII, which I've had for many years.  

Hearing the 1a has unfortunately/fortunately given me a pretty severe case of upgrade-itis regarding other parts of my setup, and I am wondering what may be the better route to focus on initially:

1.  Upgrade desktop dac/amp, so home listening more matches the quality I am hearing on the go.  I'm thinking Schiit Gumby + Jotunheim (amp only, no dac/phono module).  FWIW, I think the Yulong is pretty good, and probably why I haven't thought of swapping it out for anything all this time.  That being said, I also haven't had the pleasure of hearing anything other than it, or the Audinst mx-1 I had prior.

2.  Add a more capable full-sized headphone that perhaps could even better utilize the balanced output of the 1a (I think it's too much power for the Andromeda, IMHO; could be a bad cable match too, I suppose).  On my radar currently are the HD800S and Focal Elear.  This route would probably also include the Jot since although serviceable for sensitive IEM's, the amp section of the Yulong probably wouldn't do much to help the aforementioned headphones shine.

Curious which would you all think would provide the more significant return in enjoyment, both immediately and in the long run, and why?

Bonus!!  After hearing the success Whitigir had with using his 1z as a balanced source with an amp, I also thought maybe:

3.  4.4 to dual XLR cable + Jotunheim, using 1a as source??

Obviously no wrong answers here--just looking for any thoughts/opinions!! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #10,732 of 45,723
Would the HD800S be powered sufficiently by the balanced WM1Z? Anyone tried it yet? I'm thinking about getting a pair but not sure just yet.

Would also be interested in how's wm1a sounding with flagship over ears like hd800, hex, lcd etc.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #10,733 of 45,723
  While my IEM stable has evolved over the years (of note: TF10, JVC fx700, now CA Andromeda), the wm1a was my first significant source/dac/dap upgrade in quite a while.  My previous dap's outside of my iPhone 5s were Nationite N2, Sansa Clip, and most recently Xduoo X3.  My desktop setup is a Yulong D100 mkII, which I've had for many years.  

Hearing the 1a has unfortunately/fortunately given me a pretty severe case of upgrade-itis regarding other parts of my setup, and I am wondering what may be the better route to focus on initially:

1.  Upgrade desktop dac/amp, so home listening more matches the quality I am hearing on the go.  I'm thinking Schiit Gumby + Jotunheim (amp only, no dac/phono module).  FWIW, I think the Yulong is pretty good, and probably why I haven't thought of swapping it out for anything all this time.  That being said, I also haven't had the pleasure of hearing anything other than it, or the Audinst mx-1 I had prior.

2.  Add a more capable full-sized headphone that perhaps could even better utilize the balanced output of the 1a (I think it's too much power for the Andromeda, IMHO; could be a bad cable match too, I suppose).  On my radar currently are the HD800S and Focal Elear.  This route would probably also include the Jot since although serviceable for sensitive IEM's, the amp section of the Yulong probably wouldn't do much to help the aforementioned headphones shine.

Curious which would you all think would provide the more significant return in enjoyment, both immediately and in the long run, and why?

Bonus!!  After hearing the success Whitigir had with using his 1z as a balanced source with an amp, I also thought maybe:

3.  4.4 to dual XLR cable + Jotunheim, using 1a as source??

Obviously no wrong answers here--just looking for any thoughts/opinions!! 
smily_headphones1.gif

How is ca andromeda sounding with your wm1a? 

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #10,734 of 45,723
Would also be interested in how's wm1a sounding with flagship over ears like hd800, hex, lcd etc.

I would guess it could power the LCDX and HEX just fine with balanced connection but the HD800 and other LCD headphones require much more juice. It would be amazing if it could provide those adequate power, as I only plan to use this dap and built in amp for a long time.. bypassing any need for a desk setup.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #10,735 of 45,723
  How is ca andromeda sounding with your wm1a? 

In sum, and for fear of not being able to describe the sound properly, I'll say this: while I felt I had to turn up the volume surprisingly high on a lot of tracks for such a sensitive IEM, I had a lot of "wow" moments via SE, using a chinese 8-core SPC cable... I have yet to have any of those via the balanced output, using Sony KK cable.  

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #10,736 of 45,723
I will 
I would guess it could power the LCDX and HEX just fine with balanced connection but the HD800 and other LCD headphones require much more juice. It would be amazing if it could provide those adequate power, as I only plan to use this dap and built in amp for a long time.. bypassing any need for a desk setup.

I could easily live with only wm1a and no desktop rig. Sounds amazing!

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #10,739 of 45,723
For those wondering about powering full-size headphones, I use my WM1A blissfully with the Sennheiser HD800.  There's absolutely no lack of power, with balanced cable and output. I generally listen with the volume at 80 or less, and that's plenty.  Sound is stunning, especially detail and soundstage.  (On SE however, no, there's not really enough output.)  I also have the Focal Elear, bought just last week (also with balanced cable), which so far I'm not thrilled with, but that opinion is based on just two or three hours listening, so I will hold off from a firm judgment. Early impression of the Elear: warm and friendly, and sometimes enjoyable for that quality, but much further from the Sennheiser 800s than I expected in terms of "open-backed" clarity and cleanness and detail.  However, it drives just fine: volume typically in the low to mid-70s for me. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #10,740 of 45,723
  For those wondering about powering full-size headphones, I use my WM1A blissfully with the Sennheiser HD800.  There's absolutely no lack of power, with balanced cable and output. I generally listen with the volume at 80 or less, and that's plenty.  Sound is stunning, especially detail and soundstage.  (On SE however, no, there's not really enough output.)  I also have the Focal Elear, bought just last week (also with balanced cable), which so far I'm not thrilled with, but that opinion is based on just two or three hours listening, so I will hold off from a firm judgment. Early impression of the Elear: warm and friendly, and sometimes enjoyable for that quality, but much further from the Sennheiser 800s than I expected in terms of "open-backed" clarity and cleanness and detail.  However, it drives just fine: volume typically in the low to mid-70s for me. 

Thanks for these impressions.  Is your HD800 stock, or modded?  Also, what cable are you using with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back