SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #10,741 of 45,723
  then perhaps the OFC cable used in the WMA is better?

I seriously doubt this but I have no access to that wire. Having looked at it before, it looks to be even more basic than the Kimber in wire geometry so I would be surprised if it performed better.

Maybe a tutorial with pictures how to open the player and do this mod?
I am sure quite few would like to do it themselves soon or later.

No plans to do this as it's a killer process that took a good 4 hours to complete...would be basically an essay and so many photos it would border on spamming. Not to mention the steep difficulty of dismantling the players to this level - I did get stuck on one step for nearly an hour... In any case, I followed the Service Manual in dismantling it so anyone who is really interested can refer to that as a guide.

What type of wires are you using now ?

A different set of copper wires. If you're wondering, I chose this over anything silver based as I have not heard anything with silver that beats this particular wire.

@Rushofblood, which Kimber cable was in the 1Z, was it the copper or the silver cable?

The original Kimber in the circuit is the copper wire that is sold as the MUC-M12SB1 in full IEM cable form.

@rushofblood I busted out laughing when I saw the pics of you tinkering inside the player and changing out wires haha you really are a very brave man. It kind of worries me that you say the Kimber kables are holding it back though. I bought the Sony/Kimber balanced 4.4mm cable found here:

SONY Headphone cable MUC-M12SB1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3TK66F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sUP1ybR8Z3DTD

They've already arrived and they look beautiful and I connected to my brand new CA Vega's. Just waiting for my player before listening. So you think I could get an audible improvement by buying something else instead?

That depends on how sensitive you are to cable changes - some people don't hear a difference, and unfortunately you gotta try it out for yourself. Not a problem with the tons of stores here in Singapore, but I'd imagine that it's tough for you Americans to audition stuff without buying it. FWIW, I think you could do a lot better than that Kimber Kable for the Vega.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #10,743 of 45,723
Anyone know where to order the 4.4 TRRRS copper plug? I have a nice non magnetic 4.4 TRRRS, I used for my system but it is brass, fortunately without a center steel pin, but I would like copper vs brass. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #10,745 of 45,723
For those wondering about powering full-size headphones, I use my WM1A blissfully with the Sennheiser HD800.  There's absolutely no lack of power, with balanced cable and output. I generally listen with the volume at 80 or less, and that's plenty.  Sound is stunning, especially detail and soundstage.  (On SE however, no, there's not really enough output.)  I also have the Focal Elear, bought just last week (also with balanced cable), which so far I'm not thrilled with, but that opinion is based on just two or three hours listening, so I will hold off from a firm judgment. Early impression of the Elear: warm and friendly, and sometimes enjoyable for that quality, but much further from the Sennheiser 800s than I expected in terms of "open-backed" clarity and cleanness and detail.  However, it drives just fine: volume typically in the low to mid-70s for me. 

That makes me very happy. I love the thought of getting a TOTL dap and only needing to use it for all my iem and headphone listening needs. Im a minimalist at heart and it simplifies things and I've always felt like the smaller the audio chain the better. The convenience and portability is satisfying and now knowing they can power headphones like the HD800.. Im in heaven!

Also sorry to hear about your elear.. personally I was quite unsatisfied with Focals new headphones too.. including the Utopia. Everyone has seemed to go absolutely crazy over them, but I wasn't one of those people after hearing them. I did an honest mini review of their short comings and it's especially apparent when you have a good high end headphone like the 800S to compare side-by-side.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #10,746 of 45,723

That makes me very happy. I love the thought of getting a TOTL dap and only needing to use it for all my iem and headphone listening needs. Im a minimalist at heart and it simplifies things and I've always felt like the smaller the audio chain the better. The convenience and portability is satisfying and now knowing they can power headphones like the HD800.. Im in heaven!

Also sorry to hear about your elear.. personally I was quite unsatisfied with Focals new headphones too.. including the Utopia. Everyone has seemed to go absolutely crazy over them, but I wasn't one of those people after hearing them. I did an honest mini review of their short comings and it's especially apparent when you have a good high end headphone like the 800S to compare side-by-side.

Everyone hears things differently, and has preferences in sound signature that are not universal. I myself sold my HD800S after hearing the Utopia, which are en route 
tongue.gif
 The Elear were not for me, however.

But I agree, listening for yourself and making a decision is the best way. And the WM1A/Z are no slouch with the balanced 4.4mm output, even with full-sized headphones.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #10,747 of 45,723
How are people handling their Utopia's with the Sony DAP's 4.4 balanced plugs?  Dongles?

I just purchased a balanced Kimber Axios cable for my Utopia however I had it terminated XLR to use with my Moon 430HA.  My thought was to use a XLR/4.4 dongle if I end up with one of the Sony's.

Another option is to purchase a second cable (perhaps something like the Wireworld Platinum Nano) and have it terminated 4.4 and only 1 meter length (my Axios is 3 meter).

An Axios XLR/4.4 dongle is something like $250.  A 1 meter Wireworld Platinum Nano might not be that much more.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #10,748 of 45,723
How are people handling their Utopia's with the Sony DAP's 4.4 balanced plugs?  Dongles?

Personally, I'm leaning towards going the XLR terminated + 4.4mm adapter route. I don't have the Sony desktop amp at home, so would be better served by being flexible with the termination. But I might still change my mind at the last minute and get my cable terminated with 4.4mm.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #10,749 of 45,723

I just purchased a balanced Kimber Axios cable for my Utopia however I had it terminated XLR to use with my Moon 430HA.  My thought was to use a XLR/4.4 dongle if I end up with one of the Sony's.

Another option is to purchase a second cable (perhaps something like the Wireworld Platinum Nano) and have it terminated 4.4 and only 1 meter length (my Axios is 3 meter).

An Axios XLR/4.4 dongle is something like $250.  A 1 meter Wireworld Platinum Nano might not be that much more.

Peter at Double Helix can make you a simple adapter like mine, I think.

Or Kimber can make you a "pigtail" adapter. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #10,750 of 45,723
Thanks for that. I already know that Kimber can make a "pigtail" with Axios cable as I had already inquired - however that Double Helix adapter looks quite nice. How much is that?

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #10,752 of 45,723
I own a capped wm1a with max vol around 80.

What does it mean when i'm now able to turn full up to 120 vol? Is it uncapped? But I can't find high gain anywhere...

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #10,753 of 45,723
I own a capped wm1a with max vol around 80.

What does it mean when i'm now able to turn full up to 120 vol? Is it uncapped? But I can't find high gain anywhere...

If it is capped you get an on screen warning when you go over a certain volume and there is a limit on how loud it goes even at max volume. Uncapped you don't get the warning and high gain is in the settings

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #10,754 of 45,723
If it is capped you get an on screen warning when you go over a certain volume and there is a limit on how loud it goes even at max volume. Uncapped you don't get the warning and high gain is in the settings

That is what's strange. I installed 1.20 and after that this limit was gone. Where in settings do i find high gain?

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #10,755 of 45,723
That is what's strange. I installed 1.20 and after that this limit was gone. Where in settings do i find high gain?

In Output settings under Headphone output between AWLS and L/R balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back