SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #10,006 of 45,723
i wished i grabbed one of those cables while they were on sale on jaben my when it was around $80. Its probably the maximum I'm willing to pay on a cable. 200-300 dollars for a cable I feel is grossy overpriced. The fact that it can be sold for 80 and still leave a profit shows how much of a markup there is.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #10,007 of 45,723
  i wished i grabbed one of those cables while they were on sale on jaben my when it was around $80. Its probably the maximum I'm willing to pay on a cable. 200-300 dollars for a cable I feel is grossy overpriced. The fact that it can be sold for 80 and still leave a profit shows how much of a markup there is.

​for $300 yes is too much, i remember i got my MUC upgrade cable fro XBA-A3 wayback in 2015 for $69, i am considering gettingtwo adaptors from plusSound (one TRRS 3.5mm and the other 4.4 to dual 3.5mm TRS females) and budgeted them and totaled with shipping $300

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #10,010 of 45,723
One can easily become hooked by 1Z's abilities to portray accustic music. For electronic music I slightly prefer 1A though.

Sorry for all the fellows that cannot afford to buy the 1Z, but I really don't think 1Z is much overpriced. It's rather the other way round, 1A is a bargain. Both units are top notch in so many aspects.

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #10,011 of 45,723

It was never on sale for USD 80, sony quoted the wrong price and sold it, it was later corrected, but the damage was done and many was sold for the cheap price.

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #10,013 of 45,723

$80 is a steal. Got these for $120 from a seller who put it on auction with a buy it now price of $120. So I bought it immediately.

Damn you got a bargain. If anyone is willing to let their cable go I'll be willing to pay around $120 for them. Looks great.

I'll rather use my Balanced stock cables for Z7 and Z5 and buy that plusSound adapter for 125 USD

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #10,014 of 45,723
One can easily become hooked by 1Z's abilities to portray accustic music. For electronic music I slightly prefer 1A though.

Sorry for all the fellows that cannot afford to buy the 1Z, but I really don't think 1Z is much overpriced. It's rather the other way round, 1A is a bargain. Both units are top notch in so many aspects.

​I like how my WM1A portrays classical music very well balanced and body to it, nice details without being analytical, with WM1A i get this bass as i can describe (not often depends on recoring tho) as "Hometheater, movie-theater rumble you can feel" not megabass levels but quite controlled and just right for me

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #10,015 of 45,723
​I like how my WM1A portrays classical music very well balanced and body to it, nice details without being analytical, with WM1A i get this bass as i can describe (not often depends on recoring tho) as "Hometheater, movie-theater rumble you can feel" not megabass levels but quite controlled and just right for me

Yes like the kind i would like to describe as Concert hall rumble.

It has this live room ambience.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #10,016 of 45,723
  TBH I preferred the 1964 tia Fourte's from the 1A than the 1Z due to its already thickness is sound. I would prefer the 1Z probably with the A18 tzars or Empire Ear Zeus XR Adel.

So did you listen to the Tia Fourte from the 1A and the A18 Tzar from the 1Z? If so, I like to hear more about it, I am interested in the Fourte with my 1Z. I will get to hear them both next month at the SOCAL Can Jam.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #10,017 of 45,723
At the Sony Store I was not able to instantly detect an audible difference between 1Z and 1A. Since the day I own both the sonical differences became obvious. 1A bright and crisp, 1Z smooth and laid back. A high quality complement.

I was reviewing both 1A and 1Z and trying to browse through this thread to verify my observation. This confirms it. I do find the 1A more sparkling (burn-in 200 hrs) vs. 1Z better lows (burn-in 20 hrs). 1Z seems to be catching up but when playing on hi-def files, I can still detect the characteristic difference. I won't be able to burn the 1Z any further as I have to return both units back to Sony this week.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #10,018 of 45,723
  I was reviewing both 1A and 1Z and trying to browse through this thread to verify my observation. This confirms it. I do find the 1A more sparkling (burn-in 200 hrs) vs. 1Z better lows (burn-in 20 hrs). 1Z seems to be catching up but when playing on hi-def files, I can still detect the characteristic difference. I won't be able to burn the 1Z any further as I have to return both units back to Sony this week.

Too bad you didn't get both to 200 hours for a fair comparison. Also, were you using them SE or balanced? IMHO the 1Z when burned in and in balanced is a force to behold. Cheers 

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #10,019 of 45,723
  Too bad you didn't get both to 200 hours for a fair comparison. Also, were you using them SE or balanced? IMHO the 1Z when burned in and in balanced is a force to behold. Cheers 

I also have the MDR-Z1R together for the review, was trying both connections. Am I supposed to hear a vast difference between balanced and unbalanced?

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #10,020 of 45,723
I also have the MDR-Z1R together for the review, was trying both connections. Am I supposed to hear a vast difference between balanced and unbalanced?

Yes. SONY make a focus on Balanced.

That's why only balanced is able to play Native DSD while SE if you play DSD ot will be converted into PCM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back