SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #9,976 of 45,723
Negative.  I know that will produce higher sound levels, but I guess my inquiry is more trying to address whether it is normal that should even be a thing that I should need to engage high gain mode with the very sensitive, easy-to-drive Andromeda?  And if so, how does that translate into usage/enjoyment of the 1A with something like the HD800S, or similarly harder-to-drive headphone?  

Don't know about the Andromeda, but HD800S, high gain, volume @120, random music: Crazy loud. Don't do that for a longer time period! Btw. there is a dsp setting to even up the loudness levels for differently mastered tracks. Works fine. I don't need it yet.

The loudness difference between IE800 and HD800S is surprisingly small. It is bigger between JH13Pro and HD800S, but also not as much as I would have expected. 1Z and 1A balanced have no problem to drive a HD800S adequately. HD800 might be a little harder to drive because of the brighter sound sig.

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #9,979 of 45,723
My HD800's have HD800S drivers installed, so we are comparing apples to apples.

If I remember right there are tools around to batch convert the volume of any number of music files. With such a tool you would be able to up the volume just before clipping would start, and make all songs about equal loud.

Could be considered a software issue only in the end. Thats what I hate about the lack of wifi. I have to take care of the quality of my music library myself.

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #9,980 of 45,723

My HD800's have HD800S drivers installed, so we are comparing apples to apples.

If I remember right there are tools around to batch convert the volume of any number of music files. With such a tool you would be able to up the volume just before clipping would start, and make all songs about equal loud.

Could be considered a software issue only in the end. Thats what I hate about the lack of wifi. I have to take care of the quality of my music library myself.

​what about sony's own dynamic normalizer? it seems to make music louder

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #9,981 of 45,723
Don't know about the Andromeda, but HD800S, high gain, volume @120, random music: Crazy loud. Don't do that for a longer time period! Btw. there is a dsp setting to even up the loudness levels for differently mastered tracks. Works fine. I don't need it yet.

The loudness difference between IE800 and HD800S is surprisingly small. It is bigger between JH13Pro and HD800S, but also not as much as I would have expected. 1Z and 1A balanced have no problem to drive a HD800S adequately. HD800 might be a little harder to drive because of the brighter sound sig.

Thank you (and you too, @jamato8!) for the info and impressions--much appreciated.  I guess at the end of the day I was trying to discern if what I was experiencing was indicative/representative of a normally-operating player, and not one that was suffering from some unknown defect that might warrant a return.  At some point I think I'd like to add a pair of headphones to the mix, and the HD800S is on my immediate radar--glad to hear positive info with respect to pairing with the 1A/1Z! 
smile.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #9,982 of 45,723
@Mim, for those in the kingdom of heaven, whether they'll be poor in spirit or not, will not need to hear through 1A or 1Z or Vega or Zeus-R, they'll be listening straight from the Angels mouth:wink:.

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #9,986 of 45,723
​what about sony's own dynamic normalizer? it seems to make music louder

Yes, I already mentioned that dsp function earlier. That's the easy solution. But you may also normalize the files itself so you wouldn't need any real time dsp anymore. Much work for a big music library, but might be worth the effort for some people.
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/normalize.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back