SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #9,993 of 45,723
  On same level as AK players? They are quite musical though.

I had a zx100 and was pretty dead-neutral and while it had a bit of bass it revealed almost anything, found trebles to be aggresive often even with DSPs turned off, this one add the weight and maintains clairy and details which i find very nice and nothing sounds agressive,

Sometimes WM1A can sound a bit bassier, depends on track mastering and i have to live with it when i stumble upon a bad record

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #9,998 of 45,723

Wm1z is definitely better details and clarity compare to 1a.

Double the price and then some I should expect it to be, puzzles me why the 1Z keeps getting compared to the 1A and in saying that I'm glad I bought the 1A and didn't blow an extra £1500 to hear a slight improvement.

His post sounds more like WM1A vs ZX100, I know one is $700 vs $1200 but yes WM1A is a HUGE leap forward compared to ZX100

and like you @ledzep i am happy i got a WM1A and spared other 25K mexican pesos, I bet WM1A vs Z is more the headphones synergy, Dark phone slike MDR-Z7 & XBA-Z5 benefit a lot from the WM1A, tho i haven't had any chance of comparing it with other phones to attest this, but i bet if you pair the Z with  bright phones it will complement their signature

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #9,999 of 45,723
Prices have come down on the 1Z. But thinking of paying over $2500 and getting back under a $1000 in 3 years is a loss for me:cry:That is if I buy it now.
Double the price and then some I should expect it to be, puzzles me why the 1Z keeps getting compared to the 1A and in saying that I'm glad I bought the 1A and didn't blow an extra £1500 to hear a slight improvement.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #10,001 of 45,723
Think the thread needs a break from WM1A vs WM1Z. I know owners of the WM1A(myself included) cannot justify the WM1Z's price. I find the 1A price to also be too high. That being said there is a difference, albeit slight. I preferred the WM1Z, but did not find it more than preference. I do not miss the difference enough to shell over 2x the price. With the price difference you can use it to fund a new totl iem/headphone that will make a bigger difference. Hell get a gumby/Mjol2 stack for that amount of money. Also the device is too heavy for portable use, and tbh I won't be caught up on hearing the difference between the 1z and 1A when I am using it on the go and traveling. If that last bit of quality is what matters and all your listening is portable and you have the best TOTL Iems, then go for the 1z. TBH I preferred the 1964 tia Fourte's from the 1A than the 1Z due to its already thickness is sound. I would prefer the 1Z probably with the A18 tzars or Empire Ear Zeus XR Adel.

I don't know why people question people's preferences and choices and have to consolidate opinions. You are ruining the beauty of having the options. You don't buy daps as a status symbol or to tout one's walkman is better. You buy it for your personal enjoyment and listening. As long as you can enjoy the music, great.

TBH, even with sale prices at 2k, its grossly overpriced. I can't justify those prices yet alone some 3k kimber kable 16 braided axios cable, but I won't stop anyone if they want to chase the .001 percent if they are convinced.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #10,002 of 45,723

In term of musical I prefer wm1z then wm1a. As well wm1z have better sound staging.

Come to price tag for portable dap wm1a is good enough for basic use.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #10,003 of 45,723
Now that this cable came in for the Z5, now I can use the dual 3.5mm with the ZX2/PHA3 with the XBA-H3. Hopefully I will now appreciate the WM but I still feel ZX2 beats WM1A unbalanced!

Looks like a nice cable, but seems quite heavy for an IEM or i am just imagining?

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #10,005 of 45,723

His post sounds more like WM1A vs ZX100, I know one is $700 vs $1200 but yes WM1A is a HUGE leap forward compared to ZX100

and like you @ledzep i am happy i got a WM1A and spared other 25K mexican pesos, I bet WM1A vs Z is more the headphones synergy, Dark phone slike MDR-Z7 & XBA-Z5 benefit a lot from the WM1A, tho i haven't had any chance of comparing it with other phones to attest this, but i bet if you pair the Z with  bright phones it will complement their signature

Yep fully agree i have the Z5's EX1000's, Z7's and the U12's and they all work great with the 1A and hooked up to the PHA2A adds something different with more drive should i ever need it and still way cheaper than the 1Z, not bashing the Z because i think its a great piece of kit and i did toy with the idea of getting one decided to spend the extra on other things, plus i have slight tinnitus so i doubt i know the difference :unamused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back