SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #9,647 of 45,723
There is an open box WM1a on advancedmp3players for £900 instead of £1000

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Sony.76/NWWM1ABCEW/Sony_NWWM1AB_128GB_Flagship_High_Resolution_Walkman.15008.html#pClearance7335
You can buy it new from them for £900. If you click on their deals link a 10% discount voucher will open in a popup. However it only applies to new items, not open box.

Strangely its often cheaper to buy a new item from them than a used because of that. I guess they may do a deal on the open box items if someone contacts them and points that out.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #9,648 of 45,723
  Any recommendations for a good 4.4mm copper cable ?

I have very good experience with the Sony Kimber balanced cable (the MUC-M12SB1). I first tried it on the Westone UMPro30, and it impressed me sufficiently that I got another 3 (!) for all my IEMS with the MMCX connector - the Pinnacle P1, the Campfire Audio Jupiter, the AK T8ie Mk II & the Sony XBA-A3. All demonstrated audible improvements from the cable, to varying degrees. The sound became deliciously meaty, with deeper bass response and better imaging (to my ears).

Now, I have no idea if the improvements come from the balanced connection or the cables - I have no other 4.4mm cable to compare against. I got them from Jaben Malaysia. They were probably the cheapest place in the world to get the Sony cables - RM398 or about USD90 for one. I kinda suspected that it was a pricing error, because that was way, way, way below the MSRP.  I talked to some local retailers and they were not happy about Jaben Malaysia's advertised price lol. Maybe someone complained to Sony - It probably explains why they are no longer offered for sale (the page listing on the site returns a page not found error).

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #9,649 of 45,723

Any recommendations for a good 4.4mm copper cable ?

I have very good experience with the Sony Kimber balanced cable (the MUC-M12SB1). I first tried it on the Westone UMPro30, and it impressed me sufficiently that I got another 3 (!) for all my IEMS with the MMCX connector - the Pinnacle P1, the Campfire Audio Jupiter, the AK T8ie Mk II & the Sony XBA-A3. All demonstrated audible improvements from the cable, to varying degrees. The sound became deliciously meaty, with deeper bass response and better imaging (to my ears).

Now, I have no idea if the improvements come from the balanced connection or the cables - I have no other 4.4mm cable to compare against. I got them from Jaben Malaysia. They were probably the cheapest place in the world to get the Sony cables - RM398 or about USD90 for one. I kinda suspected that it was a pricing error, because that was way, way, way below the MSRP.  I talked to some local retailers and they were not happy about Jaben Malaysia's advertised price lol. Maybe someone complained to Sony - It probably explains why they are no longer offered for sale (the page listing on the site returns a page not found error).

Someone say Sony had that price on their site, if that was true, it's Sony malaysia that made the mistake. The last time I check on Sony's site it's RM999. Too bad it's not available now, I was one of the last batch of customers along with a few in this forum who picked one up at the RM398 price. It's just sitting in my draw now waiting for the WM1A when I get it in Japan on December or if a newer model do come out.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #9,650 of 45,723
Someone say Sony had that price on their site, if that was true, it's Sony malaysia that made the mistake. The last time I check on Sony's site it's RM999. Too bad it's not available now, I was one of the last batch of customers along with a few in this forum who picked one up at the RM398 price. It's just sitting in my draw now waiting for the WM1A when I get it in Japan on December or if a newer model do come out.

Yes its SONY MY that made the mistake at first.

I checked before the retail price on the Sony site. RM398.

So those who bought earlier at Jaben MY got a steal due to the pricing error.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #9,651 of 45,723

Yes its SONY MY that made the mistake at first.

I check before the retail price on the Sony site. RM398.

So those who bought earlier at Jaben MY got a steal.

now the correct price is RM999, jaben MY has stopped selling it now, the trouble has been caused, and many complaint including Jaben Hong Kong so Jaben MY rather not sell it.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #9,654 of 45,723
Curious if anyone has had the opportunity to compare Sony's new PHA-2A portable amp/dac with the WM1A? The PHA-2A is brand new and seems to have been developed with/for the Z1R ( the two are photographed together on the Sony website) with both SE and the new 4.5 balanced out.

I am wondering if the amp/dac performance is the same between the two with the only difference being the DAP functionality of the WM1A.

Using the PHA-2A with an iPhone - it is iPhone certified - would allow Tidal streaming and UpnP streaming from a local NAS etc. If the performance is similar between the two the PHA-2A offeres quite a bit of enhanced functionality.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #9,655 of 45,723
Curious if anyone has had the opportunity to compare Sony's new PHA-2A portable amp/dac with the WM1A? The PHA-2A is brand new and seems to have been developed with/for the Z1R ( the two are photographed together on the Sony website) with both SE and the new 4.5 balanced out.

I am wondering if the amp/dac performance is the same between the two with the only difference being the DAP functionality of the WM1A.

Using the PHA-2A with an iPhone - it is iPhone certified - would allow Tidal streaming and UpnP streaming from a local NAS etc. If the performance is similar between the two the PHA-2A offeres quite a bit of enhanced functionality.

The PHA-2A uses an off the shelf Saber DAC chip and a Texus Instrument OP-AMP, this clearly means it's just a quickly bashed together piece of kit that did not get the full attention and best talents of the audio engineering team unlike the WM1 series which is developed from the ground up with all of the latest Sony in house audio technology. Plus the Z1R is photographed with the WM1 series WAY more than the PHA-2A (well because the WM1 and Z1R all belong to the Signature series) and are nearly always demoed together.  

If you are purely thinking in terms of pairing synergy as intended by the engineers at Sony, there's probably no doubt that you should go all in with the Signature Series.  However that doesn't necessarily means the full Signature package will produce the sound that you like, because as always the final sound preference is personal and entirely subjective, so you should test it out for yourself to see.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #9,656 of 45,723

They are very, very similar...

From what I can hear on 4.4 balanced, the PHA-2A is very much a more powerful version of the WM1A. When I use my custom Zeus, the WM1A does the trick. For the Elear, I go with the PHA-2A for the extra juice. Same great sound with the bit of oomph the Elear needs.

I think you're well set with the PHA-2A and the iPhone.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #9,657 of 45,723
Thanks to the both of you for the replies however now I am even more confused - two very different answers!

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #9,659 of 45,723
I use Wm1z with Utopia without problem out of the balanced 4.4mm, so I imagine wm1A is similar, just as long as it does not have capped volume

Thanks however I am inquiring about the new PHA-2A amp/dac and if it is similar to the WM1A

I had previously read that you are connecting an iPad to your desktop Sony ZH1ES (I assume with the Apple CCK).
How is this working out?  For my use scenario the WM1A/Z are too restrictive.  I want to be able to stream Tidal and to stream my ripped collection stored on an external hard drive.  The Walkman's do not have WiFi  or an OS which allows Tidal and network streaming apps.  

If I also understand correctly you feel that the ZH1ES is superior to both the WM1A and Z.  Have you ever compared the ZH1ES to a Mojo or Hugo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back