SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #3,436 of 45,723
I wo t buy a zx2 because it is obsolete now and I hate Android, buyers. Remorse yes because my zx is detected from factory

You imply I don't have e the money. Lol I have it by overpromotinh my skills in interviews to get more money and some fraud like they payed me double by accident and kept the extra money

Your post seems hurried and makes little sense but good luck with it.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #3,437 of 45,723
Hehe, you may be right. :wink:

I have to say, though, that this kind of mindset seems to be well adapted to the common hype cycle of hifi-products, i.e.

Phase 1: device X is...

So stay negative about the new device and then buy it used in phase 5, then keep staying negative (but treat it well) until it becomes a legend in phase 7, and then you have the very best for little money. :wink:

Very good! :)

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #3,438 of 45,723

Preparation for Sony A vs. Z SQ Auditions

Please learn from my mistake at RMAF and be prepared for a proper audition when given the golden opportunity. So far, I haven't read about anyone that has done a proper side by side given the Sony booth setup which is intentional using tactics employed by AK as well to protect the margin of their higher priced models. The quick answer, yes the Z is truly better than the A from a lustful perspective when you hold both in the hand and see the premium wiring demo, but may not have better perceivable SQ. The Z also has 256gb vs. A's 128gb of storage. The AB is merely an economic question, especially if you cannot hear a difference.

To be properly prepared:
  • Bring your own HPs/CIEMs: Bring your own favorite full sized and CIEM to the event with both balanced and SE cables. The new Sony flagship HP is unfamiliar so not a proper testing HP. The new Sony MDR-Z1R HP may be responsible for much of the WOW I was experiencing. The only way to know is to use a familiar HP, and unlike the other booths, Sony does not provide other HP options for testing. My Hidition NT6pro was taken out of commission right before RMAF so I missed my chance. However, the Sony feels like it has enough AMP to truly be a one piece DAP that can drive a full sized correctly. Again, I don't know how easy the MDR-Z1R is to drive compared to my LCD2, HD700, or HEX.
  • Bring your own Music x2: Bring two identical MicroSD cards filled with your familiar music. Had the opportunity to do a proper side by side AB, but the Z had premium DSD music and the A had lessor music that was captured at low volume giving the appearance that the Z model had both a better SQ and AMP. However, I was able to find the same DSD on both through some searching which when AB'd, I could not tell the difference between the A and the Z. Before that, the A required me to turn the volume all the way up given the state of the files. And the typical pop file in the A library are not captured like the DSD files on the Z that are recorded to wow giving the appearance that the Z has premium SQ. Don't be fooled, use your own MicroSD cards and music.
  • Sony TA-ZH1ES AMP: Again, don't be fooled by the A/Z > TA > MDR-Z1R setup. The amp is merely there to keep the DAP charged and the DAP can be easily unplugged to be used directly. The host will return it to that configuration after you are done to keep the DAP charged. The MDR HP has a balanced plug that fits the DAP's balanced output. Make sure to hear the DAP by itself, as I could not hear an advantage to using the TA at all, and, well.... a DAP is a DAP and you want to know what it can do by itself, not with the TA.
  • 4.4mm Balanced vs. SE: Sony has a new balanced setup requiring an adapter. None were available at RMAF, but I heard that they are now in good supply. Check for an adapter at the booth to try the balanced option with your own HPs. I did not have the ability to try both balanced and SE from a single HP to judge the implementation. Would love to know how they compare - is balanced double the power?
  • Long Distance Booths: At RMAF there were two booths, a premium with just the Z and higher priced Sony gear, and a second booth that had both Z and A and other lower priced gear. I got to spend more time with the Z at the less crowded premium booth but got some good time to AB both at the more crowded CANJAM booth. Just know that there may be other options at an event.
  • Japanese: The RMAF Sony Reps were straight from Japan with little English. They were great, enthusiastic, and attentive, but there is a language barrier when asking about the product or adapters. If i was properly prepared, I may have brought a translator or translation book with words like adapter flagged.

Again, if you can afford it just get the Z as it makes the A feel like a toy when holding both. The premium wiring looks great in the Z demo. Also the gold is not as gaudy as it appears when you hold it in person. If you are looking for the better deal, I cannot hear a SQ difference when listening to the same song on both. I would like to be able to justify the copper, but I know that I want at least to own the aluminum. It is on the SQ and amp level of the Gold Paw or better which in IMO nobody had come close to before, but with a AK/Sony level UI and aesthetics. All this with a 30 hour battery, WOW - Sony nailed it!!!

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #3,439 of 45,723

Again, if you can afford it just get the Z as it makes the A feel like a toy when holding both. The premium wiring looks great in the Z demo. Also the gold is not as gaudy as it appears when you hold it in person. If you are looking for the better deal, I cannot hear a SQ difference when listening to the same song on both. I would like to be able to justify the copper, but I know that I want at least to own the aluminum. It is on the SQ and amp level of the Gold Paw or better which in IMO nobody had come close to before, but with a AK/Sony level UI and aesthetics. All this with a 30 hour battery, WOW - Sony nailed it!!!

Another combination that I haven't seen mentioned much is for a little more money of the 1Z is buy the 1A and the Z1R. You'll get a lot more toys to play with. 
beyersmile.png

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #3,441 of 45,723
The part of bring your micro SD make sure it is ex-fat formatted

Actually that's a good recommendation.  Sony will only work on ex-fat formatted card.  For instance, some earlier AK models will only work on Fat32 only.

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #3,442 of 45,723
Actually that's a good recommendation.  Sony will only work on ex-fat formatted card.  For instance, some earlier AK models will only work on Fat32 only.

Yes. The only time in over a year my ZX2 has been rebooted was when it was fed a fat32 card which crashed the machine and rebooted it

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #3,443 of 45,723
It's always best to format the card in your Android device so you know it's 100% compatible and will also let you know if there are any other problems.

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #3,445 of 45,723
I agree with 
@Barra (for those who claim 1Z is Godly good) BRING YOUR OWN MUSIC and HEADPHONES You are familiar with, otherwise you will be fooled.

as he (she) says i will also gett eh 1A better deal $ to performace ratio and looking on the good intended side... both have *almost* the exact same harware (just for the wring, more FT-caps and a "fine sound" register and chassis), the rest is the same... same DAC, same JACKs, same power and battery circuit, same supercap, same board substrate, same touch screen.

when i get a new dap i delete the included music 
biggrin.gif

i don't think Jude, or the dude from inner fidelity or Steve from enjoy the music never test DAPs with unknown music/Headphones, that they may use test tones and other lab-sounds that's another story

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #3,446 of 45,723
I only like android on a cellphone (what it was originally Intended to... Replace Symbian os) Android on a dap is like you have useless Google bloat

That's why I don't like zx2, otherwise it would be good sans android

That Google bloat steals space and chugs battery

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #3,447 of 45,723
LOL you're funny seriously I was trying to give an advice based on my experience with SD card enabled walkmen (necause @Mimouille
  said the WM1Z didn't accept his A&K player formatted-card)
Yes my card might have been fat32, so try exfat. Otherwise I just asked them to transfer my files on the player...but in China they are very arranging with such things. Won't be the same in more crowded venues.

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #3,448 of 45,723

Quote:
Yes my card might have been fat32, so try exfat. Otherwise I just asked them to transfer my files on the player...but in China they are very arranging with such things. Won't be the same in more crowded venues.

And try putting your music in a folder called MUSIC​ i(how i have seen walkman OS to work, if files aren't in that "MUSIC" folder they wont show-up in the library view just in files explorer) this is because some walkman have photo and video viewers

MEDIAGO is where sony software stores some info about the device
RECEIVED is for Bluetooh shared files
default-capability.xml i think is the file @nanaholic mentioned that you can mod to trick your SD card is a walkman :D
the last files ending in .fil extension really don't know what they for

But if you plan to do windows explorer drag 'n drop just add a new folder called MUSIC  and put all the FLACs (or mp3s) in there

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #3,449 of 45,723
I acknowledge i sometimes do dumb posts like the gadget ripper post i did but most of the times i try to give also helpful info like my walkman tricks and tips thread or resolving advice here like f.e mimoullie with his SD card issue, but trolls suck bad and well sometimes we have a bad day with the GF or at work.

I sometimes too go with the flow and try to summarize my mental image how a certain DAP sounds without hearing it my self, so i apologize for derailing mimoullies Word earlier in a couple of posts back, toe ach his own hearing capabilities and tastes (and look tastes too)

so peace here
beerchug.gif
 i know i have irked poedros and others but trolling like this riotgrrl is what drives me NUTS

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #3,450 of 45,723
SURPRISE help guide is up all you need is to go there http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/nw-wm1a and select the MANUALS tab and download either fo the two PDF manuals and SCAN the QR code

Happy early-bird reading :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back