SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #13,381 of 45,723
Just for convenience, I sometimes hook the usb cable that comes with the player to the usb in of my Yamaha receiver in my living room. That works just fine. I can listen to the music stored on the WM1A and navigate through the content using the Yamaha remote. So isn't that digital out into a dac too. With the standard connection cable....

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #13,382 of 45,723
Just for convenience, I sometimes hook the usb cable that comes with the player to the usb in of my Yamaha receiver in my living room. That works just fine. I can listen to the music stored on the WM1A and navigate through the content using the Yamaha remote. So isn't that digital out into a dac too. With the standard connection cable....

No. Digital out means that dap acts as a transport and in your case sony dap is just a usb storage device like a usb stick or hard drive.

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #13,384 of 45,723
Long story short, met Mr. Hiroaki Sato today at a local headphone store in HK
Had a short chat and asked a few questions.
1. Can update brings a clock function to the 1Z? Answer is "hard to do" (厳しいです), I take it as a NO.
2. Will there be a USB-DAC function to the 1Z? He said they are always listening to fans comments.
So that's a no comment. Most likely will?

O, btw my pleasure to have photo with Mr. Hiroaki Sato! The mastermind behind Walkman WM series.

DG3T8SJUMAEGnOa.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #13,385 of 45,723
1. Can update brings a clock function to the 1Z? Answer is "hard to do" (厳しいです), I take it as a NO.
2. Will there be a USB-DAC function to the 1Z? He said they are always listening to fans comments.

O, btw my pleasure to have photo with Mr. Hiroaki Sato! The mastermind behind Walkman WM series.

good photo, where is it?

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #13,387 of 45,723

Wwwwoooo000000, I can not wait for this feature!

Aug 10, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #13,389 of 45,723
Haha. Maybe they will come out a higher quality Signature series adaptor if they do the USB-DAC.

Aug 10, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #13,390 of 45,723
My Sony 1Z came in today!!!! You guys were not kidding when you say how heavy this thing is, its a brick!! And I am in love! Same with the Z1R, that finally came, so the box it comes in..........holy crap........thing weighs a ton and is made SO NICELY!!!! I think I stared at the box for like 5 minutes no joke. I plugged the headphones into the 1z balanced port, I was so disappointed in the sound seriously. Then I plugged my kimber kables in (not the ones that were made with sony but I actually called and ordered from Kimber and had them make me a pair), the......sound is.....GLORIOUS!! Its a crime those stock cables come with the headset omg they are terrible and cripple the sound not by a slight difference but a MASSIVE amount.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #13,391 of 45,723
My Sony 1Z came in today!!!! You guys were not kidding when you say how heavy this thing is, its a brick!! And I am in love! Same with the Z1R, that finally came, so the box it comes in..........holy crap........thing weighs a ton and is made SO NICELY!!!! I think I stared at the box for like 5 minutes no joke. I plugged the headphones into the 1z balanced port, I was so disappointed in the sound seriously. Then I plugged my kimber kables in (not the ones that were made with sony but I actually called and ordered from Kimber and had them make me a pair), the......sound is.....GLORIOUS!! Its a crime those stock cables come with the headset omg they are terrible and cripple the sound not by a slight difference but a MASSIVE amount.

Sound glorious out of the box? Wait about after 500 hrs burn in and more surprise :)

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #13,392 of 45,723
Sound glorious out of the box? Wait about after 500 hrs burn in and more surprise :)

I know I am excited, I stepped away from music entirely for the last 15 years of my life, my parents are big audiophiles and they have amazing equipment you cant even buy today, my dad was in an Orchestra for over 25 years, so classical and many forms of music was huge in my family, everything sounded amazing with what they had but I couldnt afford it nor was their a portable option at the time, I heard CD's, MP3's when I was younger for a very brief stint and I shut music out of my life because it was just so terrible to hear on tape players and cd players and mp3's when you come from listening to vinyls all your life on high end equipment. I kid you not when I say I refuse to listen to the radio when I drive, I just roll down the window and hear the wind and the car, I havent heard a radio since I rode the bus as a kid. I now have a job where I can afford nice things, and have just got into music again and I am pleasantly surprised with how much technology has improved since I was a kid. Even though I can afford it I still die a little each time when I pay for these items.......they are not cheap holy crap. 10k in two months.........and I still need IEM's and 1 more set of cables. I also ordered the Sony Vinyl record player so I can rip my parents collection...... there are 6 walls of music, over 8 thousand records......its going to take forever.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #13,393 of 45,723
I had both the Sony made Kimber and the direct Kimber Axios here in the house to use with the Z1R and WM1Z. The difference is not inconsequential between the two with the Axios easily demonstrating its superiority. Actually the stock cable holds up quite well comparatively speaking vs. the Sony Kimber. I would say the people should either stick with the stock cable or jump straight to the Axios - some may find the Sony Kimber version to be more of a side step.

The Z1R continues to amaze me - its scalability is incredible. By scalability I refer to the ability to dramatically improve depending on the cables, and most importantly, the source which is used to drive it.

Coming from two channel it is the last part, the source used, which rings most important. It is commonly accepted wisdom in two channel land, at least where I hang out (flat earth UK brands such as Linn and Naim) that one should spend the bulk of their budget on the SOURCE. The smaller part of the budget goes towards the speakers. This was one of the prime selling points of the Linn LP12 turntable. Think about it - the music, the information, is contained in the vinyl grooves. If you do not maximize the equipment to ensure that you are extracting all there is to get from the grooves, getting all the music out, then the best speakers in the world will never be able to make things sound better - if you are leaving some of the music trapped in the grooves. Quite simply put the speakers cannot make out something that is not there. So it is useless to spend huge money on speakers - and less on the turntable. Spend your money on trying to get as much music as possible from out of the grooves.

Much in the same way things are identical when assembling a headphone system. One can have the best headphone available - a Utopia, a Stax, the Z1R - yet a Mojo is only capable of extracting a certain amount of information from the audio files, a Hugo even more, a WM1Z yet more, and finally some of the uber DAC's - DAVE, Linn DS etc. - which can extract ALL of the music there is in the files - music which lower DAC's such as a Mojo leave behind.

So - getting back to the point at hand - what impresses me about the Z1R is what kind of performance it gives me out of a Mojo - how said performance gets that much better with the WM1Z - and finally the dramatic leap which comes when using some of the uber DAC's.

The Z1R is capable of many things - its only limiting factors are the source used, and other ancillary components such as the cable etc.

So if people only hear the Z1R with the stock cable out of a Mojo (maybe even with MP3's instead of FLAC files) - then they are missing so much of what this headphone is capable of giving - and they should temper/qualify their opinions about its performance accordingly.

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #13,394 of 45,723
I had both the Sony made Kimber and the direct Kimber Axios here in the house to use with the Z1R and WM1Z. The difference is not inconsequential between the two with the Axios easily demonstrating its superiority. Actually the stock cable holds up quite well comparatively speaking vs. the Sony Kimber. I would say the people should either stick with the stock cable or jump straight to the Axios - some may find the Sony Kimber version to be more of a side step.

The Z1R continues to amaze me - its scalability is incredible. By scalability I refer to the ability to dramatically improve depending on the cables, and most importantly, the source which is used to drive it.

Coming from two channel it is the last part, the source used, which rings most important. It is commonly accepted wisdom in two channel land, at least where I hang out (flat earth UK brands such as Linn and Naim) that one should spend the bulk of their budget on the SOURCE. The smaller part of the budget goes towards the speakers. This was one of the prime selling points of the Linn LP12 turntable. Think about it - the music, the information, is contained in the vinyl grooves. If you do not maximize the equipment to ensure that you are extracting all there is to get from the grooves, getting all the music out, then the best speakers in the world will never be able to make things sound better - if you are leaving some of the music trapped in the grooves. Quite simply put the speakers cannot make out something that is not there. So it is useless to spend huge money on speakers - and less on the turntable. Spend your money on trying to get as much music as possible from out of the grooves.

Much in the same way things are identical when assembling a headphone system. One can have the best headphone available - a Utopia, a Stax, the Z1R - yet a Mojo is only capable of extracting a certain amount of information from the audio files, a Hugo even more, a WM1Z yet more, and finally some of the uber DAC's - DAVE, Linn DS etc. - which can extract ALL of the music there is in the files - music which lower DAC's such as a Mojo leave behind.

So - getting back to the point at hand - what impresses me about the Z1R is what kind of performance it gives me out of a Mojo - how said performance gets that much better with the WM1Z - and finally the dramatic leap which comes when using some of the uber DAC's.

The Z1R is capable of many things - its only limiting factors are the source used, and other ancillary components such as the cable etc.

So if people only hear the Z1R with the stock cable out of a Mojo (maybe even with MP3's instead of FLAC files) - then they are missing so much of what this headphone is capable of giving - and they should temper/qualify their opinions about its performance accordingly.

Couldnt agree more, its like walking into a car dealership and buy a Ferrari and then asking if they can put replace the engine with a 95' toyota corolla.

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #13,395 of 45,723
Anybody know what these Mods do ?
Screenshot_2017-08-11-14-24-20.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back