SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #13,366 of 45,723
Players that I've owned or know very well because I had them borrowed are: Cowon Plenue p1, Pioneer xdp100r, Astell ak300 and 380, Questyle qp1r, Pono Player, Shozy alien gold, Shozy alien+, Colorfly c10. I'm still at burn in with my wm1a (i'm over 100hrs mark) but I think only Shozy Alien+ is in the same league. They are completely different beasts however. Alien+ has raw, natural, very realistic and exciting sound and Sony is more refined and relaxed with better resolution, wider and deeper soundstage although it's darker sounding. Colorfly c10 still has the best midrange that is very analogue and tubelike.
And that is why there is Wm1Z

Aug 9, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #13,367 of 45,723
Is it possible to use charging cable and connect it from wm1a to vega dac via usb as a source then?

Aug 9, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #13,371 of 45,723
Someone 2 months back managed to find a way to get LineOut of the NW-WM1A/Z. I believe it was a custom job (i.e. not off the shelf commercial product). Anyone else knows how to do this? That'll be -very- useful if someone can do a LineOut of this DAP.

Aug 9, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #13,372 of 45,723
Aug 9, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #13,373 of 45,723
Someone 2 months back managed to find a way to get LineOut of the NW-WM1A/Z. I believe it was a custom job (i.e. not off the shelf commercial product). Anyone else knows how to do this? That'll be -very- useful if someone can do a LineOut of this DAP.
Should not be possible unless invasive processing would be done as in cutting and connecting electrical circuitry (well...with the understanding of S-Master Diaphgrams). The WM1A/Z forgave the Line out function because in order to do that the S-Master needs to be directly connecting to a Pin-out in WM-port, and without using it, the lineout can act as an antenna that attract noisy environments into the processing of the S-Master. By forgoing the Lineout pin and functionality, the noises is significantly cut. This was confirmed and clarified by the Engineering teams from Sony.

Now, I had been using headphones out as Pre-amp line-out and it is excellent.
Would you happen to know if its possible to use this cable to output a WM1A or WM1Z directly to a speaker amplifier, or is it necessary to pass the signal through a desktop DAC with USB input first?

Thanks.
No, there is no functionality for Line-out using WM-port with Wm1A/Z. You can use headphones out as a line-out. Ortherwise, connecting it Digitally into a DAC will do just fine

Aug 9, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #13,374 of 45,723
My search is over. The WM1A delivers exactly what I'm after = A mobile PHA3 in a DAP. w00t! :darthsmile:

Aug 9, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #13,375 of 45,723

As mentioned it is not a good idea as confirmed in the Engineer's Voice interview here: http://www.sony.jp/walkman/special/flagship/manufacturer/interview04.html

I can only see making a Line Out from the WM port will mean soldering some thin bridging wires from the analog output stage from the S-Master chip over the VERY EM noisy digital section (it will be crossing over the SoC, flash memory, the power conditioning circuitry etc) back into the WM port Line Out pins, why would anyone want to do that if they want good SQ? You'll get much better performance from the clean 3.5mm output, even if you are double-amping.

There seems to be a lot of questionable mod services floating around for the WM1 series recently, the other day I saw someone offering an "amp chip" swap for them for a tidy amount of money..... but if you know the architecture of the Walkman you know it has to be a scam.....

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #13,376 of 45,723
Running mine through on the new PHA2A on 4.4 balanced output the digtal out cables not much better on that so I've sprung for this
Hi, where did you get this cable from? Can you PM me the link?

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #13,377 of 45,723
Aug 10, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #13,378 of 45,723
https://www.lelong.com.my/knodo-dig...usb-s-starspicker-I2448952-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

Was ok but ended up making my own from the Sony Digital out cable and re wiring it with a micro usb and pure silver cable better cable better quality.

Thanks! I'll look at getting one in time, though I'm not sure what use I'll have for it. lol. For now...

33Q4BtG.jpg

Aug 10, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #13,379 of 45,723
https://www.lelong.com.my/knodo-dig...usb-s-starspicker-I2448952-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

Was ok but ended up making my own from the Sony Digital out cable and re wiring it with a micro usb and pure silver cable better cable better quality.

Yes, this is the best way to do digital out from Wm1A/Z into external DAC, or you can also use the docking cradle to charge it while using it. Going to make one direct USB cable for me today (Wm1z into desktop DAC). Lately I am so worried about the WM1Z battery that I don't want to keep it charging and playing at the same time, so instead of using a dock, I will be using direct cables instead. Both the Dock and the cables are great solution, however there are trade off as the cables I can upgrade and the dock I can not but it can be charged while playing music.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #13,380 of 45,723
Yes, this is the best way to do digital out from Wm1A/Z into external DAC, or you can also use the docking cradle to charge it while using it. Going to make one direct USB cable for me today (Wm1z into desktop DAC). Lately I am so worried about the WM1Z battery that I don't want to keep it charging and playing at the same time, so instead of using a dock, I will be using direct cables instead. Both the Dock and the cables are great solution, however there are trade off as the cables I can upgrade and the dock I can not but it can be charged while playing music.

@Whitigir PM'd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back