SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #12,781 of 45,723
Maybe. I have some I bought on eBay that cost 5 dollars each and have no magnetism. Most use brass and if no central pin is used that has steel, you should be good to go. Even Furutech uses steel on the central pin for the 2.5 TRRS saying it is needed for strength but I have 2.5 TRRS that are totally non magnetic and again, cost around 5 dollars. What I would like is the OFC TRRRS 4.4. Furutech is coming out with a 4.4 TRRRS that is supposed to be non magnetic and should be out this month.
Do you know how the Onso plug fares in this regard by chance?
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9966426.jpg

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #12,782 of 45,723
Out of interest, what is unique about the Sony SPC cables compared to other SPC cables? One of the next cables I'm looking at is the new Chord Shawline Shawcan headphone cable, which is SPC I believe. Chord definitely know their cables, and the price is very good.

Tell me more about the new Chord headphone cable as I just had a look at the webpage for it. I need no introduction to Chord as I have been running their cables for years in my Naim system starting with the initial introduction of Sarum - moving to SuperSarum - and now running MUSIC.

Are they available yet? Since you are posting in the Sony thread I will assume they have/will have a 4.4 Pentacon termination available?

I am going to assume that your reference to them using "SPC" is Silver Plated Copper? I find this interesting relevant to the Z1R as this is what Sony supplies by default - silver plated copper.

The only thing I find strange is that Sony considers their Sony/Kimber cable, an all copper construction, as an upgrade over silver coated copper- implying that they feel all copper is an upgrade?.

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #12,784 of 45,723
MvdEZ9.jpg

I received a sample WM1Z unit from Sony Japan for Headfonia review.

I must say I expected a small difference in sound compared to WM1A. But to me the difference is more than that. This is surely an amazing DAP that shines with an organic and refined sound. I'm simply blown away. You WM1Z owners are really lucky :)

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #12,785 of 45,723
MvdEZ9.jpg

I must say I expected a small difference in sound compared to WM1A. But to me the difference is more than that. This is surely an amazing DAP that shines with an organic and refined sound. I'm simply blown away. You WM1Z owners are really lucky :)
Since when does Sony hand out samples for reviews ? You are lucky !

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #12,787 of 45,723
MvdEZ9.jpg

I strongly recommend reading the engineering team's interview for the Walkman before you finalise your review. I think it will give you a different perspective of the device when you know the vision of the team, and whether you think they achieved their goal or fell short would make for some interesting comments.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #12,788 of 45,723
I strongly recommend reading the engineering team's interview for the Walkman before you finalise your review. I think it will give you a different perspective of the device when you know the vision of the team, and whether you think they achieved their goal or fell short would make for some interesting comments.
Thank you for the tip. Where can I find the interview?

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #12,789 of 45,723
MvdEZ9.jpg

That's good timing, reinforced that yesterday's purchase of the WM1Z was a good idea.

I've gone backwards and forwards on whether the extra cost and weight would be worth it for me over the already excellent WM1A.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #12,790 of 45,723
That's good timing, reinforced that yesterday's purchase of the WM1Z was a good idea.

I've gone backwards and forwards on whether the extra cost and weight would be worth it for me over the already excellent WM1A.
That's of course a different thing to talk about, whether is it worth the cost etc. That depends on the ones personal preferences. It's literally heavy to carry around, but if you listen to your portable system in a home environment, then why not go for the best sound possible?

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #12,791 of 45,723
Jul 12, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #12,792 of 45,723
Jul 12, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #12,793 of 45,723
That's of course a different thing to talk about, whether is it worth the cost etc. That depends on the ones personal preferences. It's literally heavy to carry around, but if you listen to your portable system in a home environment, then why not go for the best sound possible?
True indeed. I got a good deal, and would generally use it at work or when travelling.

I've got the Sony Xperia XZ Premium smartphone and the Sony MUC-M2BT1 wireless adapter for walking about etc.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #12,794 of 45,723
Now that the new Walkman will support most lossless Codecs, with the addition of the ape and MQA (more of a wrapper than a new format), I think the Walkman will be positioned well with competition, hope they are smarter with pricing too, a reason why maybe fiio has success.

I've read that ape is inefficient in decode /encode but very efficient in space savings (compression) and FLAC is slightly behind ape bit os faster on encode /decode

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #12,795 of 45,723
Now that the new Walkman will support most lossless Codecs, with the addition of the ape and MQA (more of a wrapper than a new format), I think the Walkman will be positioned well with competition, hope they are smarter with pricing too, a reason why maybe fiio has success.

I've read that ape is inefficient in decode /encode but very efficient in space savings (compression) and FLAC is slightly behind ape bit os faster on encode /decode

You are majorly wrong in one count.

Fiio, they use off the shelves parts. Let's say, any DAC chip they are using in a mass purchase would equal to $10 each.

Now, Sony Walkman, Sony designed it from their "In House Technologies". The class D and S-Master itself are a marvelous achievement. Not sure if Class D within the Walkman is unique in any way, but I am certainly sure that everyone agree about S-Master.

What I am saying is this, Fiio is a mass production using mass produced off the shelves parts, while Walkman is mass producers using its own technology which isn't mass produced for anything else. Is Sony pricing correctly done ? Well, it depends, for performances to pricing ratio, it is inflated.....however, marketing and statistic states otherwise....A&K is still selling their hugely overpriced DAP which uses Massively produced off the shelves parts just as much as Fiio. In this instance, the Sony Walkman is "Cheap" in comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back