SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #12,796 of 45,723
So I just received the WM1A player today. Ran the "info" from Rockbox and it said the unit had the volume cap off even though the unit is CEW2 (West Europe) - shouldn't the volume cap be on by default? The volume goes to 120 steps. How high does the units with the hack enabled or the units outside Europe go? It doesn't have the high-gain output setting.

Am I missing something? I have the unit up on 120 to have it high enough - It's okay, but I think I might like to go a bit higher.

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #12,797 of 45,723
So I just received the WM1A player today. Ran the "info" from Rockbox and it said the unit had the volume cap off even though the unit is CEW2 (West Europe) - shouldn't the volume cap be on by default? The volume goes to 120 steps. How high does the units with the hack enabled or the units outside Europe go? It doesn't have the high-gain output setting.

Am I missing something? I have the unit up on 120 to have it high enough - It's okay, but I think I might like to go a bit higher.

Do you have a high gain option under Settings | Output Options | Headphone Output?

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #12,798 of 45,723
walkman.png

No it doesn't have that - as I can read only the "E" version has this (Asia / Australia / NZ / Tourist) which was what I was going to change it to. Just wondered why it says OFF under Sound pressure.

Have tried to upload the info I get when I run the batch with GET.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #12,799 of 45,723

No it doesn't have that - as I can read only the "E" version has this (Asia / Australia / NZ / Tourist) which was what I was going to change it to. Just wondered why it says OFF under Sound pressure.

Have tried to upload the info I get when I run the batch with GET.

We don't know why this is, but what is important is the destination setting. Once you set this to one of the appropriate values, you will have High Gain available.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #12,801 of 45,723
OK - so that's what will enable higher volume overall? I remember this from my Denon DA-10 amp/dac - it has a high/low grain where the volume goes higher.

The volume won't go to a higher maximum number, but what is output for a given number will be, err, "more powerful" if that makes sense!

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #12,803 of 45,723
Jul 12, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #12,805 of 45,723
I just thought that the sound pressure was equal the volume cap, so I was confused as to why it was set to off. My bad :)

I'm returning the NW-WMA1 as I just found it on Amazon.co.uk (via this thread - thanks!) about 300$ cheaper then what I paid here in Denmark. So I won't do the change before I get the new unit..

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #12,806 of 45,723
Maybe then he also needs to set sound pressure to sp off /0?

From memory, the only important setting is the destination code. I seem to remember the documentation even mentions that the sound pressure setting does not have any impact on the the volume cap; changing the destination to one of the right codes simply makes High Gain available. I'm pretty sure I just changed the destination to the East European setting, and didn't touch the sound pressure setting.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #12,807 of 45,723
Interesting device, but wow, expensive. Didn't care so much for the thick sound from the zx2 I sampled, but I think it had the eq settings on at the time. I'd really have to have a listen before dropping that much of my retirement fund... Anybody know where I could audition one around Phx, Az? Upgraditis...

Thanks for your help,
Drew

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #12,808 of 45,723
MvdEZ9.jpg

I received a sample WM1Z unit from Sony Japan for Headfonia review.

I must say I expected a small difference in sound compared to WM1A. But to me the difference is more than that. This is surely an amazing DAP that shines with an organic and refined sound. I'm simply blown away. You WM1Z owners are really lucky :)

.....Welcome to the world of the 1Z :L3000: - if only temporarily!

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #12,809 of 45,723
MvdEZ9.jpg

I received a sample WM1Z unit from Sony Japan for Headfonia review.

I must say I expected a small difference in sound compared to WM1A. But to me the difference is more than that. This is surely an amazing DAP that shines with an organic and refined sound. I'm simply blown away. You WM1Z owners are really lucky :)
I am waiting for your WM1A review since weeks now. Now with both players on hand it gets even more interesting.

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #12,810 of 45,723
@mw7485 thank you. I will enjoy it even with a limited time.

@pietcux My WM1A has a problem with the screen. It'll go to the service center I'm afraid. And I have other things to write that's why it's been delayed. So because of the screen problem of WM1A, looks like WM1Z will be the first one to be reviewed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back