SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #12,286 of 45,723
I just received my 1A and its beautifully crafted one for sure! I am currently charging it (for some reason the battery didn't have enough juice in it)..However, I am not able to shut down the player completely while it is charging - is that normal? When I press the power off (for few seconds) it prompts me if I need to turn it off and I say OK. It turns off but then powers back on right away. Is that because of its charging? I have not seen such "refusing to turn off" behavior when power is connected to any electronics stuff if so!

It's normal.

Whenever i turned off for charging, it will auto in on mode.

May 27, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #12,287 of 45,723
May 27, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #12,288 of 45,723
I just received my 1A and its beautifully crafted one for sure! I am currently charging it (for some reason the battery didn't have enough juice in it)..However, I am not able to shut down the player completely while it is charging - is that normal? When I press the power off (for few seconds) it prompts me if I need to turn it off and I say OK. It turns off but then powers back on right away. Is that because of its charging? I have not seen such "refusing to turn off" behavior when power is connected to any electronics stuff if so!
It is perfectly normal it turns on again, typical behaviour of sony never turns off when charging.

Sony always ships electronics with Little charge, don't know why

May 27, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #12,289 of 45,723
Yes, that is normal. Kind of strange, as you say, compared to almost any other device. Guess it is one of the idiosyncrasies of Sony developing their own interface from scratch, and not using the ubiquitous Android. Don't know if it was an intentional decision, or just something unplanned happening.

May 27, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #12,290 of 45,723
Transport regulations require batteries to be limited to 30% of capacity. For bulk batteries, I guess that could be applied to batteries in devices also. Perhaps to limit the energy density available/lowered danger, in case something happens.

IATA/ICAO Updates
New ICAO/IATA regulations will limit the State of Charge (SOC) to 30% for all lithium ion cells and batteries on both Passenger and Cargo aircraft. Please refer to Packing Instructions 965.

In this case, we will have to fully charge all the cells/packs and discharge to 30% of the capacity in our facility. It will delay the lead time significantly, so we strongly suggest you choose ship by Ground instead by air, because it will take equal or longer time than ship by Ground. If you have to choose ship by air, for example, oversea customers, please charge the cells/packs immediately when you receive them to maintain the cells/packs.

May 27, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #12,291 of 45,723
Actually a lot of devices don't turn off now while charging, it's certainly not just a Sony thing.

May 27, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #12,292 of 45,723
Actually a lot of devices don't turn off now while charging, it's certainly not just a Sony thing.
Thinking about your observation, I realize that true power off is actually quite rare. Only devices that have a mechanical power disconnect switch are truly powered off. All others, where you press a button to boot up, turn on, etc., are just going into a low power standby state, as the device needs to be alive to monitor and react to the button push. Almost all devices fall into this category.

May 28, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #12,293 of 45,723
Thinking about your observation, I realize that true power off is actually quite rare. Only devices that have a mechanical power disconnect switch are truly powered off. All others, where you press a button to boot up, turn on, etc., are just going into a low power standby state, as the device needs to be alive to monitor and react to the button push. Almost all devices fall into this category.

People often say that it's bad for the battery if you charge&use at the same time - but in reality in terms of engineering/chemistry it's only an issue if your device draws more power than both the AC power and battery can supply simultaneously such that the battery is a state of both charging and discharging. However modern charging circuitry are quite intelligent and should be regulating and protecting the battery, in fact some of the battery protection methods are build into the OS (like Sony's battery conditioning option in the Walkman - which monitors and charges the battery to only 90%), so in that case you actually want the device to be turned on while charging to do its magic.

The other real factor that affects battery life is exposing the battery to heat - this could be a major issue for some smartphones where the internals could run pretty hot under load. But not for the Walkmans as we all know that this device hardly warms up even under heavy usage thanks to the Class D design of the amp.

May 28, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #12,296 of 45,723
KANN warms (heats) up after awhile while I kept my 1Z continuously burned in for the past 3 days and its still as cool as a cucumber. Sounds wise it is not even a fair comparison.

May 28, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #12,299 of 45,723
Yes, that's why I asked for clarification. If it's 1A, might be worth comparing, if it's 1Z... :p

Yes sorry. I meant the 1A :) I am looking to upgrade my Pono player and am considering something with power. The Kann looks like one option, this another

Anyone running their Z5 iems balanced with the pentaconn from the 1A?

Dan

May 28, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #12,300 of 45,723
Yes sorry. I meant the 1A :) I am looking to upgrade my Pono player and am considering something with power. The Kann looks like one option, this another

Anyone running their Z5 iems balanced with the pentaconn from the 1A?

Dan
I am running them on my WM1A with the stock balanced cable that came with the Z5 and an adapter to pentaconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back