SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #12,226 of 45,723
I am not clear on this. Do you have an image of the final wiring?
I forgot to take picture before I close the back plate. With 8 wires in there, it's took so much space and it's not easy to put everything back. Hope this help. Don't try this mod if you have no experience!

IMG_8035.JPG

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #12,227 of 45,723
The discretionary income on this site never ceases to amaze me. Some of you can't be married!!
I have helped friends slip electronics in their homes in the middle of the night just to avoid confrontations with their wives.
You absolutely beat me to this statement. I'm just baffled at the amount of money some of these guys throws around on this forum.

I mean this guy (quotes below) let go of a $3000 dap in anticipation of a $4000 new dap, in the interim he's replaced it with another $3000!!! Amazing.
Erm....no offence meant, but the CU was sold because of the then soon to be released Sp1000. So I'm using my 1Z till then.

So, to be frank, but I still maintain my position of the CU being more resolving than the current 1Z. The only thing the 1Z does better, is drive my dita dynamic better because it has more power than the CU. My dita dream sounded anemic on the CU, something that I found unacceptable. Plus, given that the new flagship was just around the corner at munich, I made the decision to let it go.

In my honest and less than professional view, the 1Z currently still has some way to go before it can catch up to the 380CU in both technical detail and spatial resolution. If only, the CU had a proper amp circuit to power more demanding stuff like the 1Z. On that note, I've never been a fan of AK's amps module system as it hardly seems secure.

I'm only a supporter of superior products, not brands. I have 0 brand loyalty lol.

I'm sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to hear. But, it's an honest, unbiased view having owned both products.

May 23, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #12,228 of 45,723
I forgot to take picture before I close the back plate. With 8 wires in there, it's took so much space and it's not easy to put everything back. Hope this help. Don't try this mod if you have no experience!

I assume then that you used 2 wires per channel.

May 23, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #12,229 of 45,723
Take good care of your screens :frowning2:

Looks like it's very sensitive. Small drop on the screen, not a scratch on the glass, but somehow the screen is damaged

yEbXdk.jpg

Sorry, but I struggle to understand how a "small" drop ON the screen can do this. The fluid must've got inside - perhaps there was more spillage than you realise?

May 23, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #12,230 of 45,723
Sorry, but I struggle to understand how a "small" drop ON the screen can do this. The fluid must've got inside - perhaps there was more spillage than you realise?
maybe he meant he dropped the Walkman from a very short distance but enough to cause damage? Sure that looks like water damaged display / display circuit /GPU

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #12,231 of 45,723
maybe he meant he dropped the Walkman from a very short distance but enough to cause damage?
Actually I dropped something on it. But not a single scratch, still it caused this. It happened two days ago but problem occurred this evening.

I will try the warranty option but not sure they'll replace. Instead they would call it a user error. Let's see.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #12,232 of 45,723
The screen failure that @Virtu Fortuna experiences, like ghosting, happened to me back in 2009 when I dropped into the toilet bowl my A818 Walkman and committed the mistake of turning it on. Screen ghosted, faded and turned white and the device died :confounded:

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #12,233 of 45,723
I assume then that you used 2 wires per channel.
Yes, 2 wires par channel. You can do just 1 as well. It's depends on what kind of sound signature you are try to achieve. Also not every copper or silver cables are the same. Some aftermarket cables sound worst then stock cable. Research research...!

May 23, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #12,234 of 45,723
@virtu-fortuna If there is no dent on the body or no crack on the glass. You can just say it's happened for no reason. It turned on and that is what I see. Never say it dropped or something spilled on it!

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #12,235 of 45,723
You absolutely beat me to this statement. I'm just baffled at the amount of money some of these guys throws around on this forum.

I mean this guy (quotes below) let go of a $3000 dap in anticipation of a $4000 new dap, in the interim he's replaced it with another $3000!!! Amazing.

When people see me with my modest gear, they think it's great. When they find out the price, they think I'm an idiot.

But I always remind myself that it's a hobby, then I'm at peace with the world.

May 23, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #12,236 of 45,723

Well...houses (heck, more like apartments) here, or at least a decent one, cost half a million and more. In USD thats about 400grand for a house. So our perspectives of value and worth can be rather different. Plus, healthcare,transportation and food here is pretty darn affordable (cheap even by US standards). In short, here, we do have quite abit of disposable income as long as one doesnt have kids....Which is always why I find it hilarious when people here complain about the rising cost of living; considering that we have it waaayyyyy easier than folks in other countries.

So, in a nut shell, lets just put it as that some of us would like to enjoy life for a while longer before we start spawning little life and cash sucking demons into this world...

Anyway, letting go of a 3grand player, pre announcement, seems reasonable to me. I mean, just look at the price

And, yes, I can attest to the difficulties of trying to keep some of our purchases under wraps from our partners. Thankfully, both the CU and 1Z are relatively similar in colour....at a stretch.....

Plus, I dont see the 1Z as an interrim player, unless, of course, the SP1000 does manage to impress me, which is still an unknown at this point. I do think that the 1Z, while sonically inferior to my old CU, does some things which I found to be critically lacking to my CU (driving dita dynamics well for example), and for that I choose to sacrifice a little sound for proper driving power. If that, makes sense to anyone.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #12,237 of 45,723
Well...houses (heck, more like apartments) here, or at least a decent one, cost half a million and more. In USD thats about 400grand for a house. So our perspectives of value and worth can be rather different. Plus, healthcare,transportation and food here is pretty darn affordable (cheap even by US standards). In short, here, we do have quite abit of disposable income as long as one doesnt have kids....Which is always why I find it hilarious when people here complain about the rising cost of living; considering that we have it waaayyyyy easier than folks in other countries.

So, in a nut shell, lets just put it as that some of us would like to enjoy life for a while longer before we start spawning little life and cash sucking demons into this world...

Anyway, letting go of a 3grand player, pre announcement, seems reasonable to me. I mean, just look at the price

And, yes, I can attest to the difficulties of trying to keep some of our purchases under wraps from our partners. Thankfully, both the CU and 1Z are relatively similar in colour....at a stretch.....

Plus, I dont see the 1Z as an interrim player, unless, of course, the SP1000 does manage to impress me, which is still an unknown at this point. I do think that the 1Z, while sonically inferior to my old CU, does some things which I found to be critically lacking to my CU (driving dita dynamics well for example), and for that I choose to sacrifice a little sound for proper driving power. If that, makes sense to anyone.
I don't think you or anyone, needs to justify what they do with their money. I am more amazed that people have the urge to enquire about it. Whether it is jealousy or just curiosity I find it quite improper and none of their business.

May 24, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #12,238 of 45,723
@virtu-fortuna If there is no dent on the body or no crack on the glass. You can just say it's happened for no reason. It turned on and that is what I see. Never say it dropped or something spilled on it!
Thanks. I will try to do that when I have a chance to visit a Sony Center near me.

Device works without a problem by the way. Touchscreen also works. So I can still use it but before that I will try the warranty.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #12,239 of 45,723
I don't think you or anyone, needs to justify what they do with their money. I am more amazed that people have the urge to enquire about it. Whether it is jealousy or just curiosity I find it quite improper and none of their business.
well said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back