1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
First

Back
805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814
816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825
Next

Last
  1. Toolman
    Modified WM1Z by swapping out the pathetic Kimber Kable yield noticeably much better performance from the player, mainly in soundstage and the upper mids (which are important to me).

Maxx134, purk and RobertP like this.
  2. Toolman
    Haha you just made me go back and re-examine my connectors again...they looked OK and perfectly aligned to me so it must be the cameras angle then :k701smile:

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  3. RobertP
    IMG_8034.JPG Stock cables vs black widow cables x2. Oem cables are tiny by comparison.

4. Whitigir
    Was it solid core ? Or did they meant 22AWG included insulation ....which normally does not

5. gerelmx1986
    since then your warranty is voided, you should haf waited till warranty had expired

6. Cagin
    I'd think those that do this already have enough technical know-how to deliver their own repairing needs thanks to the available service manual.

RobertP likes this.
  7. RobertP
    Just normal 26awg cable. No insulation. At first I was expecting just a bit more bass and warmer sound from typical 8 wires config. I'm didn't expect this mod will also extend high range, a tiny bit brighter and bigger soundstage.

8. Whitigir
    What stunned me was the sizes of the 26AWG look to be almost as big or bigger than the stock 22AWG....what in the hell

jamato8 and RobertP like this.
  9. RobertP
    I fix electronics gadgets for living so I know some what what to expect.

10. RobertP
    Yes. This a will agree. LOL! What the hell.

11. Virtu Fortuna
    Take good care of your screens :frowning2:

Looks like it's very sensitive. Small drop on the screen, not a scratch on the glass, but somehow the screen is damaged

[​IMG]

12. rushofblood
    Awesome to see others replacing the internal wires. The only piece of kit in these players that is a compromise is the stock wiring (the Japanese OFC in the 1A and the "Kimber Kable" in the 1Z) and the audible difference in a wire swap is quite large.

Also, props to Sony for great aftermarket service. Having opened my player so many times that the gold ring around the balanced jack popped out without me noticing outdoors due to the adhesive weakening after repeated openings and re-stickings, I ordered a replacement from the local service centre and it reached me in 3 days. Maybe that's something to do with the factory just being across the border where I am, but that's still impressive nonetheless, and I believe you can even order any component of both players as long as you're willing to pay which is great for tinkerers who may need to replace components.

And finally, Furutech is coming out with 4.4mm connectors: upload_2017-5-24_2-17-3.png

They look awesome as always. I'm happy with my Pentaconn OFC, but the barrel is a bit long – if these ones are shorter, a retermination might be in order for me.

jamato8 likes this.
  13. jamato8 Contributor
    I am not clear on this. Do you have an image of the final wiring?

14. jamato8 Contributor
    I hope that Furutech doesn't use steel for the center pin as they did in the 2.5 TRRS. I asked them about this and they said the steel pin was the best option but I have plugs that cost 1 dollar that have no steel and hold up just fine.

15. rushofblood
    I'm convinced that the steel pin is only for the 2.5mm owing to how fragile that connector is compared to 3.5mm and 4.4mm. If Pentaconn can do up a plug in OFC (which I've verified as part of the plating on mine has worn off), pretty sure Furutech can too.

First

Back
805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814
816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825
Next

Last