SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #11,806 of 45,723
I only asking for the best sound quality they can come out with.

Make 40th anniversary worth it. Create a Legendary Walkman.
And a indian head massage please,if it has that i will buy the next walkman,thats why i love this forum, in few months there will be lots of people that not even had the pleasure ti listen to the first 1z/a but they will speculate about the next one....my God

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #11,807 of 45,723

I only asking for the best sound quality they can come out with.

Make 40th anniversary worth it. Create a Legendary Walkman.

And a indian head massage please,if it has that i will buy the next walkman,thats why i love this forum, in few months there will be lots of people that not even had the pleasure ti listen to the first 1z/a but they will speculate about the next one....my God

I don't have the 1A/1Z yet, was hoping to get it in December during my visit to Japan, I will not hold back for the 40A version, but hope Sony does release a improved version or a newer version of the current model during the time, As for the 40A version, I just have to see if and when it will get released. I guess it's could be a Japan only release.

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #11,809 of 45,723
Meanwhile I think my 1Z sounds decisive better than my 1A. 1Z emits a kind of sound that is very non-fatiguing for me, even for genres that I'm rather sensitive to like harder rock. Congrats to all new owners.

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #11,810 of 45,723
It took me time to hear what was different, the clear positioning of the instruments depth wise, and the fullness of the sound are very impressive.

I recently got the Sony WM1Z last week so in the process of Burning in (65hrs),. I have noticed sonic changes of periods that it sounds good, periods not. I've always loved the Sony signature sound as I do I have an old Sony MP3 boy it does have so much power & clear bass I actually thought it sounded better than my Astell&kern Daps. The Sony WM1Z is higher quality sound, To me it sounds more musical than my Ak380+ amp I find it has an dull flat sound & deep bass but very wide sound stage as ever since Ak only tuned EQ for beyerdynamic AKT5P headphones I can't adjust the EQ on EQ Daps I turn it off so it sounds more open. On the other hand the Sony WM1Z you can adjust the EQ to the headphones you use it has an more open sound, wider sound stage & clarity and deeper bass & more enjoyable listening to music with no listening fatigue. I love my Sony WM1Z, I'm sure it will sound better after 200 burn in.

If anyone has both Astell&kern Daps and Sony you can share the sd cards in both. Just that you need to format in Sony WM1Z first you can use it in Astell&kern as well

With setting EQ with new firmware update it only has EQ settting I can't find the Tonal setting on their. If anyone has noticed this too.
the tone control is in settings u der the EQ menu

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #11,811 of 45,723
Where are people getting 256gb cards for the 1Z. There is a massive jump in price between 200gb and 256gb.
I seem to remember Amazon had a promotion a few weeks ago

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #11,812 of 45,723
Where are people getting 256gb cards for the 1Z. There is a massive jump in price between 200gb and 256gb.

The jump was massive between 128 and 200Gb when 200Gb was the highest available capacity.
It's the premium you always pay for novelty...
Right now, 200Gb cards are just best bang for buck.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #11,813 of 45,723

Got mine from amazon UK and paid the premium for wanting it 6 months ago

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #11,814 of 45,723
Got several SanDisk 200GB cards at $44.99 from Amazon way back then...still great value today :yum:

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #11,815 of 45,723
As the summer is coming sooner or later on my side of this planet, I needed to figure out a summer alternative to the Z1r / Z7. Both get warm in normal spring conditions here already. So I took my MDR-EX1000 out of their lovely leather case and gave them a first try with the WM1A. Good synergy at first listen, but compared to the Z1r they are still a little hot with Miles Davis's trumpet. Also the bass, even though deep and precise could use a little lift. So I thought why not give the tone control a try. 
Bass + 2
Mids - 2
Treble -4
Those are my settings right now. Seems to me that Sony finally made a player to bring out the MDR-EX1000's full potential. It is about time that Sony gives us a true MDR-EX1000 successor without any balanced armature drivers. 

Question: Does anyone know if the cable that comes with the MDR-EX1000 is balanced until it reaches the 3.5 mm plug or only till it reaches the splitter? I have a second original long cable from EBay that I would like to terminate into the 4.4 mm balanced plug.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #11,816 of 45,723
  As the summer is coming sooner or later on my side of this planet, I needed to figure out a summer alternative to the Z1r / Z7. Both get warm in normal spring conditions here already. So I took my MDR-EX1000 out of their lovely leather case and gave them a first try with the WM1A. Good synergy at first listen, but compared to the Z1r they are still a little hot with Miles Davis's trumpet. Also the bass, even though deep and precise could use a little lift. So I thought why not give the tone control a try. 
Bass + 2
Mids - 2
Treble -4
Those are my settings right now. Seems to me that Sony finally made a player to bring out the MDR-EX1000's full potential. It is about time that Sony gives us a true MDR-EX1000 successor without any balanced armature drivers. 

Question: Does anyone know if the cable that comes with the MDR-EX1000 is balanced until it reaches the 3.5 mm plug or only till it reaches the splitter? I have a second original long cable from EBay that I would like to terminate into the 4.4 mm balanced plug.

The Japanese EX1000 is 4 core to the plug, i've re terminated mine to 4.4mm and they sound fantastic on balanced.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #11,817 of 45,723

The Japanese EX1000 is 4 core to the plug, i've re terminated mine to 4.4mm and they sound fantastic on balanced.

The headsets read Japan but the cables read China on my set. So my cable is made in China.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #11,819 of 45,723
I have the z5 and those are great, huge soundstage and nice details on balanced, I do think a single DD IEM cuts it compared to triple driver or quad driver (more drivers than 3 or 4 I find it pointless)

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #11,820 of 45,723
The absolute best thing about the 1Z for me is it is the first dap I have ever owned or listened to that has zero hiss with very sensitive IEMs (and obviously also with any headphone). Ak380 along with many others gave my good/sensitive hearing an annoyance with that. For me personally that was always a huge pet peeve so thank you Sony. My biggest problem with daps is fixed.

Other amazing things is the sound quality itself and battery life. I also love the custom ui/os instead of the flawed method of wrapping an Android os.

I've mentioned all these things many times before but I definitely think it's worth repeating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back