SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #11,821 of 45,723

The Japanese EX1000 is 4 core to the plug, i've re terminated mine to 4.4mm and they sound fantastic on balanced.

The headsets read Japan but the cables read China on my set. So my cable is made in China.

As the EX1000 is still available in japan and most other countries are discontiuned, Sony has gone cheap on the cables, only the first few years of released the cables were made in Japan, and china afterwards, I also have two spare cables that I purchased 4 years ago direct from Japan, they didn't actually have stock, so they mailed it to Hong Kong for me, for the price I paid for both in Japan, is equal to one purchased in Hong Kong, and even the shop has closed down or has moved. The cable I have is also made in China, they were shipped directly from Japan.

BTW all EX1000 is made in Japan, you have to look at the box to see if you have the Japan version, asian, US or European, but I think the US version comes with the EX600 cable, not the EX1000 cable.

Anyway, although it's made in China, it should have the same specification as the Japan made cable, I also intend to have one terminated one cable.

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #11,822 of 45,723
As the EX1000 is still available in japan and most other countries are discontiuned, Sony has gone cheap on the cables, only the first few years of released the cables were made in Japan, and china afterwards, I also have two spare cables that I purchased 4 years ago direct from Japan, they didn't actually have stock, so they mailed it to Hong Kong for me, for the price I paid for both in Japan, is equal to one purchased in Hong Kong, and even the shop has closed down or has moved. The cable I have is also made in China, they were shipped directly from Japan.

BTW all EX1000 is made in Japan, you have to look at the box to see if you have the Japan version, asian, US or European, but I think the US version comes with the EX600 cable, not the EX1000 cable.

Anyway, although it's made in China, it should have the same specification as the Japan made cable, I also intend to have one terminated one cable.

I agree it shouldn't be any different , it's worth cutting off the 3.5mm to see imo for what you'll gain on the 4.4mm termination , worse case scenario you open up the connector side and do a full re wire or from the split which ever you find best for you , i would recommend sticking to the stock connectors on the iem side as the 3rd party ones are total bo##ocks and cheap and simply don't fit well . Let us know how you get on "snip snip "

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #11,825 of 45,723
What model number is the flagship Sony iem again? Is it the EX1000?

XBA-Z5 Hybrid (1 dynamic + 2 balanced armatures).
EX1000 is single dynamic driver which is no longer in production.

The EX1000 is no longer for sale outside Japan, they are in production domestically, you can still get them new in retail stores all over the country.

Edit: and from Sony themselves: pur.store.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-EX1000/MDR-EX1000_purchase/

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #11,826 of 45,723
Isn't justears Sony flagship iem.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #11,827 of 45,723
Is just me but in WM1A balanced some time after 100 hours, you get nice subbass extensión? cool, these bass pipes extend so screwn LOW

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #11,828 of 45,723
Few observations and few questions which some of you can answer..

1) the UI is very mediocre when compared to zx2 which I thought was bad to begin with.. no grid layout.. no way to change repeat and shuttle modes directly from screen display instead using menu, no way to add a selection of songs to playlist you can on;y add whole album, adding to playlist is slow and seems to drain battery fast, no color for icons etc.. they could have kept the look and feel of Sony zx2 ui atleast.. this seems backwards
2) when I tried DSEE and D.C. Phase linearlizer, battery dropped by atleast 40% at 38% brightness. I managed about 18 hrs with theses settings on 16/44 flat flies.. anyone experience the same
3) the bass on wm1z is very good but doesn't punch hard like on zx2 with clear bass.. I know we have eq or tone control.. but I found the sound quality degrades with these on
4) Based on @whitgir setting, I set DSEE to strings and DC to Type A standard.. this seems to make music sound so good. I am wondering is eq even needed. How are you guys using sound adjustment.. imo direct source is reall good but DSEE and D.C. Makes this player really special
5) where can I find information on what settings mean for DSEE and D.C. Settings- like what is type a standard etc

Thanks
Pc

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #11,829 of 45,723
Ok guys so I had some trouble with untagged albums with no cover art etc.. so I researched programs until I found a really awesome one called blisshq. It has done a fantastic job finding album art and doing automatic tagging and I even set it to have specific image specifications that I knew the dap would accept (500x500 png format).. it auto converted all images for me and grabbed ones I didn't have and lets me upload my own image too - so far it has just been great.

So the one problem I DO still have is yes blisshq lets me tag stuff manually but for some reason two albums (one relatively popular and one very indie and in no database).. is staying inside the "unknown" section of artists and albums in the dap. I cannot figure out how to tag it correctly and allow the dap to categorize those albums in the correct artist and album as well as give me cover art.

Is there another program I can try that allows me to manually enter this information and upload a picture, that will be compatible to wm1z's ui and software?

It plays the music just fine in the dap, but I hate having it being in the unknown section of artist and album, makes it hard to find and stresses out my ocd haha

Any help is really really really appreciated, trust me.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #11,831 of 45,723
  Ok guys so I had some trouble with untagged albums with no cover art etc.. so I researched programs until I found a really awesome one called blisshq. It has done a fantastic job finding album art and doing automatic tagging and I even set it to have specific image specifications that I knew the dap would accept (500x500 png format).. it auto converted all images for me and grabbed ones I didn't have and lets me upload my own image too - so far it has just been great.

So the one problem I DO still have is yes blisshq lets me tag stuff manually but for some reason two albums (one relatively popular and one very indie and in no database).. is staying inside the "unknown" section of artists and albums in the dap. I cannot figure out how to tag it correctly and allow the dap to categorize those albums in the correct artist and album as well as give me cover art.

Is there another program I can try that allows me to manually enter this information and upload a picture, that will be compatible to wm1z's ui and software?

It plays the music just fine in the dap, but I hate having it being in the unknown section of artist and album, makes it hard to find and stresses out my ocd haha

Any help is really really really appreciated, trust me.

Have you tried Sony's MediaGo? You can right click on songs/albums to search for missing tag information including album arts. It also supports bit perfect playback.
You can manually update the tags as well...

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #11,832 of 45,723
  Have you tried Sony's MediaGo? You can right click on songs/albums to search for missing tag information including album arts. It also supports bit perfect playback.

wow that seems too obvious.. I do have that program, but used it just to update the dap. I wasn't aware of those capabilities haha I will open it right now on my laptop and check it out.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #11,833 of 45,723

wow that seems too obvious.. I do have that program, but used it just to update the dap. I wasn't aware of those capabilities haha I will open it right now on my laptop and check it out.

It is so versatile that you won't need any another application 
cool.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #11,834 of 45,723

MP3TAG

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #11,835 of 45,723

MP3TAG

this? http://www.mp3tag.de/en

Does it support dsd and other hi res files?

I just tested a few of the "unknown" album problems i was having and mediago has definitely helped so far.. didn't realize it had a database that autotags, only bad part it I have to painstakingly go to each individual song, right click, properties then click the database button. I did get the correct album, artists and track names/numbers to function properly in the dap for the few albums I have tried so far in mediago, but STILL the album art is not working for those and they have the exact same resolution and format and in the same folder locations and file locations as all the other albums that do work.. same scheme of everything so I don't know why the art doesn't show up. Actually at this point I actually think it's more of a problem with sonys dap software to be honest. As every music playing software on all my computers are pulling up the album art and everything else properly too for these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back